Lake Barkley/Kentucky Lake - Anyone Fish Them?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Lake Barkley/Kentucky Lake - Anyone Fish Them?

Post by kantuckyII »

anyone here fish them? I've been to Kentucky twice but it's been many years ago, once in the early 90's...the first time about '82 or so. I have had a few tell me that they like Barkley better than Kentucky.

Bassmaster
S

Re: Lake Barkley/Kentucky Lake - Anyone Fish Them?

Post by Bassmaster »

I fish Barkley but never Kentucky. My older brother and his family have land on the lake close to Prizer Point.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I'm toying with the idea of going there this next month sometimes. I guess my next question would have been where do you all stay but I reckon you answered that as well.

You really like Barkley? how often to you go there?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Also, looking at some topo maps, I see several humps mid-lake and in the larger creeks out in the center that are only 9' in depth, you fish any of these humps?

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

We fish out in the center of the lake a lot mostly on channels and yes we hit the humps also. We will usually try some topwaters early before we hit the main lake. The last time I checked the lake report on line they were catching bass on the ledges and the humps now. I don't usually get out there until the summer but my brother starts in March. I caught a largemouth a little over 6 pounds my last trip out there within sight of the prison. The numbers seem to always be good. He has fished the lake so long now he rarely uses his electronic equipment much anymore except to find the edge of the channels.

http://www.fishin.com/reports/ky/ky-2/kylake.htm

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

My husband is leaving on April 13th for a week fishing trip. They're renting a cabin on Kentucky Lake but will be fishing both Kentucky and Barkley. They go every year around this time and usually catch huge bass. Last year the weather took a cold turn and they've complained ever since. :12222
Here's where they are staying:
Triangle Fishing Club
211 Triangle Club Rd
Gilbertsville, KY 42044
Phone: (270) 362-4814

and here's a link with listings for a few other places:
http://www.paducah-tourism.org/docs/AQS_Approved%20Accommodations.pdf

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

March 23rd Ky. Lake report

The fishing report has improved this week. The lakes are 6" above summer pool and will probably rise more with last nights rain. The largemouth are being caught along the buck brush in the rear of the bays. Small jerk baits, both hard and soft plastic are catching well. Jigs are also catching some of the stringers. Good numbers along with some big fish
have been taken. The fish are holding in about 4' to 5' of water. Crappie have started moving into the bays and are hitting minnow and jigs fished at 18' to 22' around wood cover. The numbers are still scattered but the fish have been running good size. Sauger and whitebass are slow, Bluegill are still deep. There hasn't been much catfish activity to report. The rivers below the dams are high and have strong currents, The water temps are in the lower 50's. Be careful on the lakes, there is a lot of floating debris because of the quick rise in the levels.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Thanks Ballparent, I appreciate it.

If I go, it's going to be later next month (April) towards the end of it probably. I was thinking about the 20th. I got me a topo map of the lake last night as well and have pretty well settled on a campground but..I might stay in a hotel, not for sure yet..sleeping in the back of my truck though suits me just fine. If I can rent a slip at that place or find one where I can pull my boat into the campground, that's a real plus!

PS...is that 6 inches above summer pool or 6 foot above? I thought the like was like way out of it's banks.

I wonder if they'll draw it back down towards winter pool after this flood water threat has gone down?

oh..I found a campground on a very large creek too. I figured that would be great if a big wind kicks in and I could pretty much fish that creek

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

kantucky call me, i have a travel guide of kentucky lake where we went there several years ago. we stayed at macolm creek resort. it was great, i may even have a topo you can borrow. i know i have a lake map. not sure if i bought a topo or not, but you are welcome to borrow it. the guide tells everything about down there. theres even a lil bass pro shop there. :12222

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I've got most of that now..thanks! I still ain't 100% made up my mind at all. I'm also looking at Guntersville (been there a couple times)or John Kerr in VA. I've been to Kerr several times. Even tossing up Watts Bar or Dale Hollow (probably last choice on the planet). Then again, with gas prices what they are..might just camp at Greenbo :shock:

:lol:

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Let me know if you camp at Greenbo, ill come over with my boat one day and you can teach me how to catch them non biting fish in that lake. ill follow you around and see what there hitting.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

kantucky....a friend of mine just got back from Guntersville and they had a great week fishing.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Did they catch any big ones?

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

His son caught his first six pounder and his friend caught one over six. They caught a lot of fish in the 3-5 pound range.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Just checked - Barkley is 56 degrees (3 degrees below normal for this time of the year) it's 6' above summer pool, raising 2 feet in the last 24 and expected to raise another 2' by Monday. Ain't conditions I'd wanta be down there on.

Another quick check reveals that average water temps stay above 50 degrees on the lake till mid-December! I love that fall fishing, I might look into a mid-November trip there this year

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”