I caught 7 fish today

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

I caught 7 fish today

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Went to Jackson with my son, and I caught 6 bass and 1 Bluegill. He got skunked.
When the son was out they would start biting good as soon as it hid behind the clouds they would stop dead.Brings my total fish count for 2008 to

largemouth-59
Smallmouth-0
Trout - 6
channel-0
carp-0
walleye/saugeye-0
crappies-0
MUSKIES-0
Bluegill-5
white bass-0
large bass eyeballs- 1

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: I caught 7 fish today

Post by kantuckyII »

carp 0......... that says it all! until you bag ole' orange sides, you ain't done nothin! you're 8 ahead of me and I still ain't getting no chance to go anytime soon

was it crowded at Jackson? there were almost a dozen at Greenbo today..out in boats. The lake was high and muddy too, a rare sight at Greenbo. I wasn't fishing though..sight seeing

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Jackson was real muddy also, me and Boo are going in the morning to either Tycoon or Snowden. I hope there not that muddy but all the lakes are prob muddy right now except Jesco. There was 4 boats there when we arrived between 330 and 4 and 1 was still out when we left at dark. All the bass i caught were about 12 inches long. the blue gill was 6 inches he ate my rubber bait.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I've never seen Tycoon muddy, even after several days of heavy rain.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

We ended up at Jackson lake today I caught 8 bass and 1 eyeball. We went to Tycoon, and they were having a Bass tourny and it was crowded. There was no where to park and the boats looked like they were having a parade following each other around the lake. I was fishing a brush pile down deep and got a hit i jerked and had a fish on he was pulling hard then came off, I reeled my line in and had a nice size eyeball on it. Theres a one eyed fish in there now.

PS... Im not alloud to tell how many BOO caught.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

BOO caught zilch today.... but learned a TON from the master (sorry BassMaster). First I must give credit where credit is due. I have never seen anybody so incredibly accurate with their casts. Oz consistently... over and over and over.... placed his bait within 6 inches of the shoreline or stump or whatever other cover he was shooting at. In little pockets, under overhanging cover.... where ever he wanted. Accuracy is MUCH more important than distance in the bass game and he proved it.
I must admit that not having bass fished in a LONG time I played ball control and stayed a respectable distance from the hazardous cover (where the fish are) and consequently.... no fish.

It was a beautiful day to be on the water and I had a great day with Oz.

BTW... He said if we ever go again that he would allow me to put hooks on my baits next time. :shock: :shock:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I have warm fuzzy feelings for Tycoon. I haven't fished it for years though. Dad used to take me there when I was a young boy. I remember there was standing timber all over the lake back then. I saw him catch maybe 4 bass over 3lbs in about 15 minutes back then during a light rain on a summer day. I was just a kid then tossing bluegill rigs out.

Speaking of, Tycoon used to have some huge bluegills in it as people would actually fish and keep them making the fish pretty good sized back then. Is it still good for bluegills in early May?

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

Me and a buddy of mine used to hammer the hybrid bluegills on ultra light tackle and meal worms. 80-100 keepers in an outing was not uncommon on Tycoon. Oh and the stumps are still there. I busted a trolling motor prop on one of them about 2 in the morning there.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

They put hybrids in the lake? now..I never knew that. You have to remember, a few years ago, after I got to thinking about it was back around 1980 for me. The gills I was talking about were regular bluegills. Man, to get into hybrids must have been fun!

Back around 75 I had my dad's old wooden homemade boat (I would LOVE to have that thing back, it was awesome!) and got it hung up on a tree limb broke off right below the water and liked to have never got it off it.

I'd take that old boat and load it up in the back of my old Ford Econoline Van. I had to turn it sideways to get it in there. When I went fishing, it wasn't too bad but..after you put it in the water, it would take in about 1/2 an inch of water till the wood swelled and then it would stop leaking. Then, when I tried to load it up that night! talk about heavy! I couldn't do that today to save my life!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

oh, bassmaster, I'm sure the stumps are still there but back in the early 60's...there was standing timber in the thing you couldn't hardly get through to save your life.

There's 2 springs that feed that lake too, if you know where they're at..they say you can catch a nice fish off them from time to time, late winter, or late summer

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

In Boos defense I will say that he spent most of the day learning and asking questions, He never even threw a soft plastic bait, or he might have caught one and he wouldn't use any of the minnows I was catching mine on. It was pretty windy at times wich made it hard to throw way up under the trees. After seeing Tycoon lake I ready to go fish it.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Boo don't need no stinking defense...he's made out of Teflon, it all slides off him. You can't get one into him, like trying to hook a gar!

When I was a boy my old man would make me get out in the yard and practise casting all the time. He's set something about the size of a coffee can out there. Neighbors would look at me like I was crazy..some kid out there casting over and over in his back yard and there was no water for a 1/2 mile around.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

kantucky....We called them hybrids but they may not have been. This was the late 70's and early 80's when I am talking about. I just remember them being very nice sized and a little different coloration and they tasted good on the grill.

The stumps are still pretty bad. I haven't been out there in a few years but everyone still complains about them.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I don't know, I just looked up hybrid bluegills online. They don't look anything like the fish a neighbor brought and shown me a few years back.

Back when I was talking about..these fish had the big red dot on the side of their head. Was that a hybrid out there at Tycoon? they were nice sized..finger tip to past the wrist when you let them rest upon your hand

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

The ones I saw had almost a purple look to them..

I'm about 95% sure that the gills I saw at Tycoon back then were redears

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”