Portsmouth Trout Derby

Post by ballparent »

Anglers prep for annual Trout Derby
Event planned for April 26
By G. SAM PIATT
PDT Staff Writer
Published:
Sunday, April 13, 2008 9:12 PM CDT
A can of whole grain corn, some miniature marshmallows, a dozen redworms and a hat brim hanging heavy with dry flies and small spinners.

A canoe or row boat, maybe with a battery-powered trolling motor on the back - or maybe just a spot on the shore with background room for casting.

Mix all those things together with a liberal amount of fun and laughter - with a favorite rod and reel, of course, or maybe just a cane pole - and one has the ingredients for another Portsmouth Trout Derby.

This year's - the 43rd annual - is set for 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. April 26, at the usual place - Turkey Creek Lake.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Fish and Wildlife will supply the final ingredient needed for success - a tanker truck loaded with shining, dancing, frolicking, leaping rainbow trout.

The fishing host will be the Portsmouth Area Jaycees. The Trout Derby is free and open to the public.

Prizes will be awarded in four age groups for the three longest trout in each group.

The grand prize for the overall longest trout is a 12-foot john boat.

For those who don't fish, there'll be plenty of activities to enjoy on the shore.

A cornhole tournament will take place at 3:30 p.m., at the campground next to Roosevelt Lake. There will be a casting contest, a magic show and live music.

For more information about the derby, call the Jaycees at (740) 353-6709, or e-mail portsmouthjaycees@yahoo.com.

G. SAM PIATT can be reached at (740) 353-3101, ext. 236.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Re: Portsmouth Trout Derby

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Thats one place I wont get near. You talk about a mess of a goat jam that is one every year.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Oh, now what's more fun than hundreds of people (many who have probably not fished before) all crowded around the banks of a little lake and dozens of boats jamming the water all looking for that prize trout? :lol:

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Thats not what bothers me so much, Its the guys in uniform who run it that are a big joke. Just go watch them.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Attn: Game Wardens
Ozzies address is 4313 Spruce Street, New Boston and he likes to fish the river a lot on Sundays.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:Thats not what bothers me so much, Its the guys in uniform who run it that are a big joke. Just go watch them.

I guess you know that I ran that thing about 35 years ago..... :evil: ...... :lol: :lol:

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I wasnt even born back then. ;-) My problems were in 98 or 99 and I havent went back since.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I went out there tonight and caught 1 bass. My son caught 1 bass 1 bluegill and 1 trout. There was trout jumping everywhere but hardly no one was catching any. It should be good when it warms up a little bit the cold last night hurt the bite.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:I went out there tonight and caught 1 bass. My son caught 1 bass 1 bluegill and 1 trout. There was trout jumping everywhere but hardly no one was catching any. It should be good when it warms up a little bit the cold last night hurt the bite.

Several years ago I caught about a 3 lb Rainbow and a 3 pound Golden trout down there. I don't remember how long after the Derby it was but they were having an Outdoor Writers Convention there at the lodge and I took Sam Piatt out on Turkey Creek Lake fishing.

His son (I guess) now writes outdoor articles for the PDT.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I read sams articles every week. I heard he may be retiring real soon, I hope they find a good replacement for him.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”