R. J. Conley wins Rocky Top "Opening Night"

Layne99L
Freshman Team

R. J. Conley wins Rocky Top "Opening Night"

Post by Layne99L »

Conley, Robinson, Hughes, Reno take Rocky Top “Opening Night” Wins
By: T. J. Layne

COAL GROVE, OH-The fifth season of racing at the Rocky Top Raceway got underway on Friday, April 18th under sunny skies with a big crowd in the stands and a full pit area. Before the races got underway, 2007 track champions Rick Christian-Late Models, Todd Robinson-Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, and Wayne Hughes-Bombers were honored.

In the 30 lap, $2,000 to win Late Model A-Main, polesitter R. J. Conley took the lead at the start. With Conley stretching out his lead, Terry Hicks and Kenny Christy battled side by side for the second position while Rod Conley and Joe Ramey battled side by side for fourth. Christy would eventually get by Hicks and set his sights on Conley. Christy charged hard and eventually caught up to Conley before breaking on the last lap. That set up a one lap dash as R. J. Conley went on to claim his second RTR “Opening Night” win! Terry Hicks finished second with Rod Conley third, Rick Christian fourth, and Joe Ramey fifth. R. J. Conley and Terry Hicks won Engines Inc. heat races.

In the Tomahawk Race Car Modified A-Main, David Fitzpatrick took the lead at the start while Jason Perry put his #20 machine up high to charge into the second position. Behind Fitzpatrick, some of the best racing seen in track history took place as the field was three and sometimes four wide every lap! On lap five, Perry caught up to Fitzpatrick and made the pass to put him in the lead! Three laps later, Fitzpatrick slowed and pulled off the track.

Perry continued his lead running the middle of the race track until lap 15 when he spun his #20 machine in turn four! That left the lead to 2007 track champion Todd Robinson. Robinson was able to hold off a hard charging Greg Thompson for the final five laps to claim his third RTR “Opening Night” win! Thompson finished second with Chris Shelton third, Rick Walker fourth, and Micheal Poe fifth. J. D. Ritenour won the Tri-America Contractors dash while Thompson and Dan Aldridge won Engines Inc. heat races.

The 15 lap Bomber A-Main saw Jeremie Bretz claim the lead at the start. The car on the move however was the #44 machine of Wayne Hughes. Hughes started in the sixth position and by lap seven was in second, chasing down Bretz. On the final lap, Hughes was a couple car lengths behind Bretz when Bretz slowed on the backstretch allowing Hughes to get by and take the win! John Rayburn finished second with Jason Rayburn third, Bretz fourth, and Phil Rice fifth. Bretz and David Dunn won Engines Inc. heat races.

Tyler Reno took the lead at the start of the Mod Lite A-Main as the field battled side by side behind him. Third place starter Dennis Lampheir moved into the second position and started to chase down Reno. On the final lap, Lampheir got a good run and got under Reno in turn four. Highside momentum carried Reno to his third career RTR win by one car length over Lampheir in second, Brandon Cossin third, Tony Sites fourth, and Rick Cossin fifth. Brandon Cossin and Tyler Reno won Engines Inc. heat races.

“The most exciting, action packed show in town” at Rocky Top continues on Friday, April 25th with a 30 lap, $2,000 to win Late Model show along with the Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites. RTR offers grandstand seating along with places for lawn chairs. Adult general admission is $12 while general admission for kids 12 and under is $2. For more information visit http://www.rockytopraceway.net.

Complete Results

Late Models
Fast Qualifier-R. J. Conley, 14.311
Heat One-R. J. Conley, Kenny Christy, Joe Ramey, Corey Lewis
Heat Two-Terry Hicks, Rod Conley, Rick Christian, Frank King
30 lap A-Main-R. J. Conley, Terry Hicks, Rod Conley, Rick Christian, Joe Ramey, Frank King, Nathan Kees, Kenny Christy, Corey Lewis (DNS: Robert Fletcher, Larry Ferrell, Jesse Skaggs, Tom Hall)
Car Count-13
Lap Leaders-R. J. Conley (1-30)

Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds
Fast Qualifier-Jason Perry, 15.976
Dash-J. D. Ritenour, David Fitzpatrick, Rick Walker, Jason Perry, Adam Jordan, Todd Robinson
Heat One-Greg Thompson, Chris Shelton, Mickey Sansom, Beadie Blackburn
Heat Two-Dan Aldridge, Tim Moore, Jim Lemaster, Billy Butcher
A-Main-Todd Robinson, Greg Thompson, Chris Shelton, Rick Walker, Micheal Poe, Adam Jordan, Craig Christian, Jake Keaton, Beadie Blackburn, Dan Aldridge, Jason Perry, J. D. Ritenour, Tim Moore, Mickey Sansom, David Fitzpatrick, Jim Lemaster
Car Count-22
Lap Leaders-David Fitzpatrick (1-4), Jason Perry (5-15), Todd Robinson (16-20)

Bombers
Heat One-David Dunn, Jason Rayburn, Wayne Hughes, John Rayburn
Heat Two-Jeremie Bretz, Charlie Mollett, Rick Butler, Kenneth Neal
A-Main-Wayne Hughes, John Rayburn, Jason Rayburn, Jeremie Bretz, Phil Rice, Kenneth Neal, Rick Butler, Joe McGinnis, Charlie Mollett, George Meade, Bob Hall
Car Count-16
Lap Leaders-Jeremie Bretz (1-14), Wayne Hughes (15)

Mod Lites
Heat One-Brandon Cossin, Chris Stone, Rick Cossin, Tony Sits
Heat Two-Tyler Reno, Dennis Lampheir, Jerry Cushing, Scott Morris
A-Main-Tyler Reno, Dennis Lampheir, Brandon Cossin, Tony Sites, Rick Cossin, Jerry Cushing, Howard Manges, Shane Casto, Harold Kuhn, Kenny Gillenwater, Randy Armes, Rodney Cossin, Scott Morris, Chris Stone
Car Count-14
Lap Leaders-Tyler Reno (1-15)

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Re: R. J. Conley wins Rocky Top "Opening Night"

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I didnt see Delmas Conley on your list . Did he race?

Layne99L
Freshman Team

Post by Layne99L »

Nope, Delmas was not in attendance on Friday. He is still racing this year though and ran at K-C Raceway on April 12th.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

What are you booing Hammer?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I always say if Charlie Swartz isnt going to win, it may has well be a Conley.

koolaid18
Waterboy

Post by koolaid18 »

okay heres the thing; its rocky top the conleys are like some of the very few drivers who actually have any kind of talent that race up there. when portsmouth opens thats when the real racing will start. this year at portsmouth is going to be a year that showcases a lot of talent.... hopefully Barry Bragdon will manage to finally earn himself a championship this season. i was really excited when he was leading in the points last season but audie schwartz isnt going to go easy on anyone this season hes going to be a major contender.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I went to Rocky Top once or twice last year and there was some good Talent there. More than just the Conleys.

sportsmr
Freshman Team

Post by sportsmr »

No championship for Barry, he is no longer racing. Barry sold both cars.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

WOW I hadnt heard that. I liked watching him race also.

koolaid18
Waterboy

Post by koolaid18 »

are you sure that he didnt get new ones he still has his car hauler and i think that he had more than two cars. he couldve sold some older ones.

sportsmr
Freshman Team

Post by sportsmr »

I am pretty sure, I have helped Barry for the last 10 years. Joe Ramey bought both cars. The truck is sold, person who buying it is making paymenst to Barry.

Layne99L
Freshman Team

Post by Layne99L »

Yes, that is true about Bragdon, he sold both cars and his hauler.

Joe Ramey was actually driving one of Barry's Rocket's from last year on Friday night.

koolaid18
Waterboy

Post by koolaid18 »

well at least ramey will have some fast cars for like the first time in his career.. does anyone know if bill bocook is going to race this year last season just wasnt the same with only the boys racing

sportsmr
Freshman Team

Post by sportsmr »

I think Barry just got burnout.

koolaid18
Waterboy

Post by koolaid18 »

i hope so

sportsmr
Freshman Team

Post by sportsmr »

I do not think he will ever come back.

koolaid18
Waterboy

Post by koolaid18 »

its possible especially after selling everything, including his hauler

sportsmr
Freshman Team

Post by sportsmr »

I think the loss oh his brother Bozo Bragdon is the biggest reason he is getting out of the sport. He tried last year to race without him.

koolaid18
Waterboy

Post by koolaid18 »

thats exactly what i was thinking

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Did they race tonight or did the rain get them?

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”