Poachers Fined the Maximum for Overbagging Bass

Post by ballparent »

News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 7, 2008

POACHERS FINED MAXIMUM RESTITUTION FOR OVERBAGGING BASS

FROM THE OHIO RIVER
Five men pay a total of $2,695 in fines, restitution and court costs

PORTSMOUTH, OH – Five men were convicted in Portsmouth Municipal Court today on 38 counts of overbagging striped and hybrid striped bass from the Ohio River, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.

Judge Russell D. Kegley ordered the five to pay a total of $2,695 in fines, restitution and court costs. This sum includes $1,900 in restitution for the 38 illegally caught fish. The amount, set at $50 per fish, is in accordance with new legislation that increased the restitution for poaching cases in Ohio.

Tom Khounthavong, 60, of Columbus was convicted of taking eight fish over the legal limit, Pha Phouthavong, 63, of Columbus for eight fish over the limit, Chanh Nanthavong, 41, of Springfield for eight fish over the limit, Sam Nanth, 45, of South Charleston for seven fish over the limit, and Peter Phanthoulah, 56, of Murrieta, California for seven fish over the limit.

The case stemmed from an April 27 complaint to Scioto County Wildlife Officer Brad Turner, regarding alleged overbagging activities at Greenup Dam, located east of Portsmouth on the river. Fishing regulations for Greenup Dam state that striped, hybrid striped, white and yellow bass have a daily bag limit of 30 fish, with no more than four fish over 15 inches. Several of the overbagged fish exceeded the 15-inch limit, with some fish weighing up to 8.5 pounds.

The Division of Wildlife encourages anyone who is aware of a possible violation of wildlife laws to call the Turn In a Poacher (TIP) line at 1-800-POACHER. Callers can remain anonymous.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: Poachers Fined the Maximum for Overbagging Bass

Post by kantuckyII »

That's great to hear. Especially about the Columbus group. For years they have came down here, bagged their limit..took them to their car and put them in the trunk and then come back down and catch their limit again. I have even heard that they sell them at the market in Columbus and that they go out as fresh fish. Little do the people know (if that is what they are doing with them) they are eating fish that have health warnings on them too.

Glad to hear that the wardens are doing their job and that the courts are backing them up!

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Just thinking at 50 bucks a fish, they should have called the fish truck and saved money. LOL!!!!!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I have a friend of mine who has passed away now who used to report these Columbus people every spring. He would have loved hearing this one!

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I have no tolerance for poachers :!:

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Bassmaster wrote:I have no tolerance for poachers :!:

Me either, that's why I try to get out turkey hunting before them each spring. :roll: :)

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

:122246 :122246 :122246

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GLAD THEY GOT CAUGHT. :aaaaa24 :aaaaa24 :aaaaa24 :aaaaa24 :aaaaa24 :aaaaa24

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”