Briggs Library / Racing History Day!!!!!

sprinter14
Varsity

Briggs Library / Racing History Day!!!!!

Post by sprinter14 »

Hey guys......Saturday, March 28th from 10 am til 4 pm we will be holding an Open House at Briggs Library in Ironton for a discussion of Lawrence County (and the areas) racing history. I will have the antique race car of Lawrence County's only Nascar veteran, Gene Comstock, on display. This car was Gene's famous midget that was built in the 1930's and scored nearly 200 wins with at many area Speedways.

The purpose of this event is to try to preserve some of the photos and documents of Lawrence County's racing history. It will also allow retired racers and their families, the opportunities to tell their stories and share their photos and scrapbooks. Gene's widow, Nanny Comstock, who is now in her 90's, will be on hand to tell some of her stories as well.

I am currently working on a book about Ohio's racing history. We are specifically looking for people with photos, programs, news clippings, or even just stories, about the following race tracks:

Tri-State Speedway (Forestdale)
Champion Speedway (Kitts Hill)
Lawrence County Fairgrounds (Proctorville)
Riverside Speedway (Proctorville)
Bud Moore's Speedway (Rt 93 Ironton)

* * * There was another track on Rt 243 in Proctorville and there was also midget racing in Ironton in the 1930's that we think may have been run on the track around Tanks Stadium.

Everyone is welcome to attend, and if you know of any old timers with stories, please bring them along. Information on any old tracks from the area is welcome, even from WV, KY, or any surrounding Ohio counties. I am also looking for photographs of the midget races run at Spartan Stadium in the 30's (back then it was known as Portsmouth Municipal Stadium).

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”