Ohio turkey season dates

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Ohio turkey season dates

Post by ChessyFan09 »

I am one of many that believe Ohio's turkey season dates should be amended to a split season to better accomodate hunters to the best timing for a successful hunt. The present four week season as a general rule comes in too late for the southern counties as many of the gobblers are past their prime activity and the woods are really green and thick.The northern counties fare far better in their timing and would actually benefit from a slightly later season. The statewide season dates this year were April 19 to May 16, which is better than usual but still late. I among others truly believe a split season to divide a northern and southern zone would benefit both zones. Usually the last 2 weeks here in southern Ohio is a waste of time ,as is the first week up north. Why not start season around April 10 in the south for a four week season and begin the northern zone 2 weeks later for their 4 weeks ? I'd be curious what others around the state think. I also would like to ban preseason calling on public land with the exception of locater calls like owl and crow calls so as not to further educate these already high pressured birds.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”