Smallmouth Bass

Jayhawks
Freshman Team

Smallmouth Bass

Post by Jayhawks »

Anyone ever fish OHIO BRUSH CREEK for smallies?Me and a buddy caught 14 in one little pot hole the other day,(the most i ever caught in one hole). Does anyone know any area lakes that have Walleye in them?

The Enforcer
SEO

Re: Smallmouth Bass

Post by The Enforcer »

I dont think to many lakes in SEO/SO have Walleye in them , but Snowden Lake and Lake Logan both have a good pop. of Saugeye

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Where is Ohio Brush Creek?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

We caught seveal nice size Saugeye at Lake Hope about a month ago.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

The Enforcer wrote:Where is Ohio Brush Creek?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Brush_Creek

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Float or wade for some scenic fishing on one of southern Ohio’s best smallmouth streams. Ohio Brush Creek begins modestly in southern Highland County, winding for some 57 miles through the center of Adams County before its confluence with the Ohio River east of Manchester. Ohio Brush Creek is a limestonebased stream, designated by the Ohio EPA as exceptional warm-water habitat. The stream contains over 62 different species of fish and serves as the dividing line between the western till plains and the Allegheny Plateau. Over 125 rare and endangered plants, animals, and mussels share the 278,000- acre watershed. Such an assemblage of rare and endangered species sparked the creation of the Edge of Appalachia Preserve in 1960, which has grown into a collection of eleven preserves located in eastern Adams County along the lower Ohio Brush Creek Watershed. The total preserve system is 12 miles long and consists of 13,000 acres of rocky hollows, forested mountains, small prairies, riffles, waterfalls, and miles of stream. Key species: Smallmouth, largemouth, and spotted bass; channel and flathead catfish; white bass; sunfish; rock bass; gar; sheepshead; sauger; hybrid striper; carp.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Is there alot of Public access to the Creek? I wade the Hocking alot for Smallies but would love to try and find other Smallie Streams, Creeks or Rivers that are wadeable.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

If you really want to catch smallies and you have a boat, I will strongly suggest making a trip to Lake St Clair in Michigan between now and the 2nd week of June. We went last weekend and boated nearly a hundred a day, catching many over 4lbs and our biggest over 6lbs.

We are going back Memorial Day weekend and the bite should be at its peak. With 2 of us and the boat it is less than $300 for the weekend including lodging, gas and food.....and maybe the occasional cold one at dinner :) Out of state fishing license are only $35. It is a real trip for the money. Best smallmouth fishing anywhere close.

St Clair is the feeder lake to Lake Erie, and you can actually go from Lake Erie to Lake Huron by going right through St Clair. Be careful though, it is big water and can get rough if you get too far out in a smaller boat.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Whats a good bait for up there red???

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

FIDO wrote:Let's saddle up....Plan a trip for next Spring and I'm there....The more the merrier......I can't swim, so we'll avoid open water, but I believe them ole small mouth aren't out far anyway.....So, do they have cabins for rent or what?

you dont have to swim,if you are in a boat :mrgreen:

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

FIDO wrote:Let's saddle up....Plan a trip for next Spring and I'm there....The more the merrier......I can't swim, so we'll avoid open water, but I believe them ole small mouth aren't out far anyway.....So, do they have cabins for rent or what?

I'm in..... :) We won't have to worry about food... think of all them deep fried golden brown sammiches. :122246 :122246 :lol: :lol:

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:Whats a good bait for up there red???

Tubes

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

We stay in a hotel. $60 a night and its very clean. Most smallies are caught in 6-9 feet of water, so depending on the area, you are never more than a mile off shore.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

BigOrangeOne wrote:

I'm in..... :) We won't have to worry about food... think of all them deep fried golden brown sammiches. :122246 :122246 :lol: :lol:

You cant keep smallies until late June. BUT......you can always get tired of smallies and go after perch or walleye......YUMMY!

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

That sounds like on heck of a Fishing trip, Wish I had a boat to go.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”