question about a large buck that was poached.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

question about a large buck that was poached.

Post by ManitouDan »

saw a thread on another site about a huge adams co buck that was passed off as being a lewis co ky buck, but the hunter got busted because hunters in adams co had been tracking the deer by camera or video for a while but it dissapeared out of season. the rack evidently matched perfectly and the guy confessed to poaching it.

there were pics of the guy holding the rack --like 4th largest typical ever in ky. I actually know the guy holding the rack - was he (initials J C ) the culprit who poached it ? fine was 23 K ---ouch ! MD

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: question about a large buck that was poached.

Post by biggdowgg »

check you pm

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Do You have a link to the story or could You post the pics of the rack?

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Here's the story on the ODNR web site.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/News/Ne ... -Buck.aspx

What a shame, He got what He deserved............

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

whoo dowgies , now thats some spensive jerky. :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

23 grand for poaching a deer....that's absolutley stupid. That punishment doesn't fit the crime....but it does fit the bill for tyranny by the government.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Here is a picture of the monster! Image

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Boonedawg wrote:23 grand for poaching a deer....that's absolutley stupid. That punishment doesn't fit the crime....but it does fit the bill for tyranny by the government.

If more crimes were punished to this extent maybe there would be less crime. I'm all for it.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

So by this logic a 5 over speeding ticket should bankrupt most folks. Either that or a lot more cops wind up dead over relatively meaningless crimes because the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Apparently, you are worried about getting caught.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Not in the least. I hunt 3 western states for deer and elk every year. It's not tough to run afoul of a game law in some cases.

Close to a years salary for some people is way out of line for a darn deer. Come on folks that's excessive to the point of absurdity.

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

Well....... according to the article he had 10 previous violations, don't look like the slap on the wrist thing was working too good huh!! Now 10 previous violations and poaching a deer of this caliber out of season "that's excessive to the point of absurdity".
Since you are an avid hunter how much would you value this deer if you had harvested it through legal means????

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

How much is beef per pound? If he had so many convictions for poaching why wasn't he in jail and able to posses a firearm? Seems to me that the system ALLOWED him to rack up a long rap sheet and didn't see to it that he couldn't own a gun. Common sense folks. The whole bigger restitution for a bigger B&C or P&Y score is horse apples....a deer is a deer, period.

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

Boonedawg wrote:How much is beef per pound? If he had so many convictions for poaching why wasn't he in jail and able to posses a firearm? Seems to me that the system ALLOWED him to rack up a long rap sheet and didn't see to it that he couldn't own a gun. Common sense folks. The whole bigger restitution for a bigger B&C or P&Y score is horse apples....a deer is a deer, period.

Boonedawg, use that little wheel thing on your mouse an scroll up until you see a post by OHBuckeye1, put your pointer thing on that which is blue left click on it and read.

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

This would have been THE BIGGEST typical whitetail harvested in North America in 2009!!!!!!!!

READ THE ARTICLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

OK here is my thought process;
1. He plead guilty
2. "hunting without permission" leads me to believe this was private property. If this was your property I bet you would be ok with it.
3. "forfeit the BOW he used to kill it" ,so he didn't use a car or a gun. Maybe the bow just went off.
4. "had 10 prior wildlife convictions for deer violations and has spent time in jail for several of those offenses" apparently this did not stop him from doing it again maybe 23 grand will.
5. HE "then checked the deer in as a Kentucky archery kill." If he was only interested in the meat he would have not checked the deer in.
6. "The typical trophy deer, scored according to Boone & Crockett (B&C) guidelines, netted an impressive 197 2/8. This deer was the largest typical white-tailed deer harvested in North America during 2009. In Ohio, this deer would rank fourth all time in the Buckeye Big Buck Club records".

I personally feel that the punishment does fit the crime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

NYBUX wrote:
Boonedawg wrote:How much is beef per pound? If he had so many convictions for poaching why wasn't he in jail and able to posses a firearm? Seems to me that the system ALLOWED him to rack up a long rap sheet and didn't see to it that he couldn't own a gun. Common sense folks. The whole bigger restitution for a bigger B&C or P&Y score is horse apples....a deer is a deer, period.

Boonedawg, use that little wheel thing on your mouse an scroll up until you see a post by OHBuckeye1, put your pointer thing on that which is blue left click on it and read.

Dude, Just having a conversation here no need to insult me for having an opinion. I also believe your not properly armed to go down that road if you so choose.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Watch this video of him telling a bold face lie on how (or where) He harvested this great Buck.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Outdoor-I ... 8319511776

Here's an ESPN Article on this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunt ... id=5189119

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Thanks for the links OB1. For once Justice was served.

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

Boonedawg wrote:
NYBUX wrote:

Dude, Just having a conversation here no need to insult me for having an opinion. I also believe your not properly armed to go down that road if you so choose.

I did step on your toes a little, I just wanted you to read and absorb the information in the article.
This subject hits close to home for me. I used to live to hunt, and yes it can become a serious addiction. It took a wonderful woman and children to pull me out of the woods. I was one of the lucky ones!!!
Many times I have invested countless hours, days, months and years watching nice great bucks grow bigger and persuing the ones in their prime. I have also heard the crack of the poachers rifle in the black of the night. I have taken up arms and raced on private property and found the headless carcass of a huge buck, blood boiling and safety off. So yes I too was addicted. To find a medium sized to small gut pile is one thing, as they wanted or needed the meat, but to find the headless carcass told me that they only wanted the rack. Big racks are big money. It can be the payday of your dreams. To this day my wall is empty, I have taken some nice deer just not anything that is wall worthy (in my opinion) . On the other hand my wifes wall holds a nice buck, my 11 year old son also has a really nice buck on his wall. Someday, god willing, I too will put one on the wall But it will be the right way.
In closing I want to say that I actually feel sorry for this man as the addiction got the best of him. I do not have the luxury of a great paying profession and the $23,000 is a great deal of money, but for me, being banned from hunting for life would be the most painful.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”