Last boys game @ the old South Gallia gym

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

Last boys game @ the old South Gallia gym

Post by friday_nite_fan »

Tonight will be the final boys game at the old South Gallia High School gym (a.k.a. The Donnie Dome or Mercerville Garden) as the new school will be opened next year. Many, many memories in this gym for me as I'm sure there are for a lot of people. Between Hannan Trace and South Gallia, the Garden has been part of numerous amazing games and has hosted many great players. Hopefully the Rebels can send it out with a win...

U know?
Riding the Bench

Re: Last boys game @ the old South Gallia gym

Post by U know? »

I think that SG should do something special like have SG athletic alumni come back and be introduced or the 3 players that have scored 1,000 points in their high school career at SG.

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

Post by friday_nite_fan »

U know? wrote:or the 3 players that have scored 1,000 points in their high school career at SG.

I know for a fact that Jason will be there regardless. Most of the time Curt is at the games and sometimes Josh. So there is a chance that all 3 will be there tonight...

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

How close did Kyle Mooney get to 1,000 career points for the Rebels?

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Post by Mercerville Monster »

Double post.
Last edited by Mercerville Monster on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Alot of memories in that old gym. It will surely be missed by alot of people in the community that was there when it was Hannan Trace and now as South Gallia. Some of my personal memories would be:

- Being a young kid and shooting ball on the side rims while older guys were playing in open gym. I couldnt wait to be tall enough to play. That time came when I was in the sixth grade and was standing very close to 6' tall.

- I remember being in the 6 grade and finally getting to play in a tournament there and it seemed like the size of The Convo with what seemed like to be 10,000 people there at that young of an age.

- One time when I was a Sophomore I remember it raining for three days straight and we was out of school for flooding. This was when we did not have the No School/No Practice policy. We came in to practice and all of the rain washed down off the hill, came through the door, and onto the gym floor. The water was standing about 3 inches on the court with some of the court having warps in it 8-10 inches high.

- Josh and Curt both getting their 1,000 point on that court. Both of them were on fire when they got it and Curt had a mangled lip that required stitches but he still shot his free throws to get them with his lip pouring blood. The funny thing is that they both scored their 1,000 point on free throws.

- Missing the game winning runner from about 5 feet against Rock Hill in 01-02 season. I am sure futurebkstar will have some fun with that one.

- My High School graduation. 88 people in my class and what seemed like 188 degrees in that old joint.

- Having a Thursday evening football practice in there and taking a streak route a little to far and smashing into the wall and then taking a few rolls down the hallway.

- My Senior year against New Boston. When we would go to the free throw line a lady would call us the Devil and make faces at us. I cant remember but she done something to the refs and got tossed. Pretty funny.

- Playing in front of hardly nobody my Freshman year to playing in front of a completely packed house most nights my Senior year and until today. That shows how far Rebel Basketball has come along.

- And last, my final game ever there against Oak Hill. All I could think about was all of the practices I had there and the games. All of the practices that I had wished were over before I then wanted back and wanted them to continue. I must have sat in that locker room for one hour after that game was over and thought about what was ahead for us. We lost to Southeastern by one point in the Sectional Finals one week after that.

I will hate to see that gym go but we will be getting an upgrade for sure. For as many years as Coach Saunders has been there, the has a soft spot for that old gym that he cant deny.

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

How close did Kyle Mooney get to 1,000 career points for the Rebels?

Somewhere in the 990's. I think if I remember from when I was a Sophomore it was 994!

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I knew that Kyle had finished up awfully close to 1,000 points.

guyan gangsta
Waterboy

Post by guyan gangsta »

I wish they would keep the gym for the community to have somewhere to play

bettis
Varsity

Post by bettis »

I know it has been discussed about keeping this gym. I hope they do.

One of my fondest memories was when Hannan Trace beat Southern I believe the score was 48-46. Then everyone remembers the big brawl that broke out. Everyone was in on that.

I loved watching my brothers play and having the bst cheerleaders in the county. Alot of great memories in that gym and school.

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

I would much rather see it still standing versus to briniging it down. I think they should keep it up and let the Jr. High use it for practice/games and let it be there home. If not that, use it for what Gansta said and keep it as a community thing. Imagine the games that could be played in there.

bettis
Varsity

Post by bettis »

I say leave it instead of the expense of tearing it down. You never have enough gym space.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

It will be hard for me to watch the last game at that gym!!!!

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

perhaps someone can buy the place

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

South Gallia 47
Hannan 42

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Not a good game to send the old gym out at all, but atleast it was a win. Nothing pretty about this one. Rebels did pull it out though. We go to St. Joe next and that is somewhere we are gonna have to play 100 times better.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Nevertheless, a win is a win and a good way to close it out! The boys will be able to reminisce about this for the rest of their lives. And the fact that it was a win is all that matters!

Return to “Boys Basketball”