Post by coop »

56-50 Valley....

Bucket Waverly.....56-52

:48 to go...Valley has to hit FT's...

coop
SEOPS

Re: Waverly at Valley Friday the 13th

Post by coop »

Valley hits FT's down the stretch and wins the game....Valley finishes 9-0 @ home this season.

Valley 63

Waverly 56

Congrats!

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

What an awesome game. Great effort by Valley. The crowd was great. It has been such a good time watching this team all year. Congrats to the Seniors for the effort and to all the team and coaches. I have never seen a team give more team effort than this one. Way to go Treg. I'm proud to be your uncle. Go Indians!!! Good luck against Minford and the tournaments.

MoonTang
Waterboy

Post by MoonTang »

Tigers were up 9-2; then outscored 22-2.
Down by 11 at half only to fight back to within 4 in the final minutes.

Valiant effort from the "never think quit" Tigers to fight back and make it a game.

Though I can't say Valley earned this one; rather I'd say the Tigers gave this one away. Once again, too-too many Tiger turnovers, bad passes, throwing the ball away time-after-time, ugly-ugly.

Expect to see up tempo defensive pressure vs. the remainder of the schedule.

Tigers must "play-their-own-game" and take care of the ball in order to prosper in the postseason.

Go Tigers vs. Huntsmen on Saturday!

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

MoonTang wrote:Tigers were up 9-2; then outscored 22-2.
Down by 11 at half only to fight back to within 4 in the final minutes.

Valiant effort from the "never think quit" Tigers to fight back and make it a game.

Though I can't say Valley earned this one; rather I'd say the Tigers gave this one away. Once again, too-too many Tiger turnovers, bad passes, throwing the ball away time-after-time, ugly-ugly.

Expect to see up tempo defensive pressure vs. the remainder of the schedule.

Tigers must "play-their-own-game" and take care of the ball in order to prosper in the postseason.

Go Tigers vs. Huntsmen on Saturday!

I don know about that. When Waverly was up 9-2, Valley went on the run and the last lead Waverly had in the game was 9-7. Valley kids were all over the floor diving for loose balls and etc. Great effort by both teams.

72Xcurl
Freshman Team

Post by 72Xcurl »

I have to agree with coop. Valley's kids were all over the floor. Waverly didn't seem to get excited until Roback had the dunk. I felt the officials were TERRIBLE, not sure how everyone else feels about them, probably will depend on what colors you were wearing.

Waverly has no time to dwell on the loss, because a Huntington team that beat Piketon earlier this season comes to the jungle tonight.

outsider79
Waterboy

Post by outsider79 »

The officials were not very good- but i hope Waverly don't make an issue of this because when you get in a big game that is being called like this- you adjust- Waverly seemed to struggle until they learned to play as the game was being called!

I thought the Tigers did a great job of "playing to the end and not giving up" I have no idea why Valley attacked the zone when they were up 14 points- but give the young men from Waverly credit they made a game out of it - would like to see better ball movement on offense and get your scorers down the court and away from trying to help bring up the ball - when they do it slows down the offense.

Valley played great- they defend every pass and look to steal the ball everytime someone new gets it! It was a good win over a team that already beat you earlier in the year! Free-throw shooting was great for Valley - poor for the Tigers- Why? I think Waverly kids were winded and Valley is used to this style.

I will honestly say Waverly is better than what I thought- if they were not they would have been blown out in this game- I am not sure I would want to play them in tourney- Valley is very good and will play far into tourney.

bookem13
JV Team

Post by bookem13 »

The officials weren't very good, but I thought they were bad on both ends of the floor. Waverly got beat b/c they got out-hustled and outplayed. I thought if we came out strong, we'd be in the driver seat. We did exactly that...9-2 run to start the game, and then it was like we just expected it to continue. Valley is undefeated at home for a reason...they flat get after you, and officials don't determine who gets on the floor for loose balls. Our young guys have to realize that the basketball is "the golden egg" and it must be protected as such. We were winging the ball around and playing out of control...you can't do that against good people. Every possession is critical in every game, but especially this time of year. Give the Indians credit. They really do a great job with ball movement, seeing the floor, and getting great spacing for those shooters around the perimeter (something we need to continue to get better at).

I think our kids will respond well. This is a very dangerous basketball team that just needs to continue working hard, and good things will happen.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

I enjoy watching Valley play the Patino style defense. They will reach, bump and grab all over the floor. They foul so much the refs think they can't call the all the fouls, so they don't call any. Half way through the second quarter Valley only had three fouls called against them. Waverly needed to adjust and belly up.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

If the officials aren't going to call anything you have to adjust and play that way as well. It was obvious they weren't going to call the stuff soccerfix is aluding to so the Tigers needed to play that way too. They finally started playing that way in the 4th quarter to make a big comeback but had dug themselves a big 16 point hole.

How many 3's did Valley hit? Waverly only hit 2 that I can remember, both by Kretzer.
What was the FT totals?

We'll see how the Tigers respond tonight.

MoonTang
Waterboy

Post by MoonTang »

Gee, 24 hours later.....I have had some time to think on this.
How can you say RIP-OFF? ...... Try 10-0 at home. Wonder how this happens?

It's tough for the visiting opponent to adjust a style of play to the tendencies of the officiating on the road at Valley. I'd say the environment at Valley lends itself to a predictable outcome of officiating; therefore, the Valley players know how the game will be called. This is a definite advantage at home.

On the other hand, it is a major disadvantage for a visiting team like the Tigers to have to adjust, in midstream, to calls that are swaying the game.

Hope this make sense.

Even though I think the Valley win was an obvious rip-off....in the final minutes of the game. I can't entirely blame the officials for a Tiger loss.

Back to my earlier comments. Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers=losses, losses, losses.

Much better game tonight vs. Huntington; GREAT WIN for the Seniors!

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Did anyone notice how dark it was in the Valley gym? Was this a leftover from the power outages? Or was it a ploy to give an advantage to the home team shooters? The Indians sure shot pretty good.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

^^ I've never heard this many excuses in my life....good lord fellas. Come on now, your tigers were outhustled bottom line. Once Valley went on the 22-2 run (aided by the officials of course :roll: ) Waverly trailed by double digits most of the night....after Robacks dunk Waverly went on a little run, and cut it to 4...but the refs werent throwing bad passes and getting beat to the spots. I thought there were NUMEROUS fould under the basket that didnt get called on the Tigers.

Dont take a great effort away by both teams by crying around, and now talking about how "dark" the gym was.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

MoonTang wrote:Gee, 24 hours later.....I have had some time to think on this.

It's tough for the visiting opponent to adjust a style of play to the tendencies of the officiating on the road at Valley. I'd say the environment at Valley lends itself to a predictable outcome of officiating; therefore, the Valley players know how the game will be called. This is a definite advantage at home.

On the other hand, it is a major disadvantage for a visiting team like the Tigers to have to adjust, in midstream, to calls that are swaying the game.

Hope this make sense.

Even though I think the Valley win was an obvious rip-off....in the final minutes of the game. I can't entirely blame the officials for a Tiger loss.

Back to my earlier comments. Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers=losses, losses, losses.

What a bunch of crap. You want to talk about officiating? Go watch a replay of the Valley game at Waverly. That was pathetic. Waverly traveled 10 times and it wasn't called. When Waverly gets to the tournament, they better fix that problem or they'll be out fast. I can't believe anyone can say Valley didn't deserve that win. I'm sick of hearing that crap. You got beat. I'm telling you that game at Waverly was much worse than this one. But I'm not going to say Waverly didn't deserve to win it. They shot great from the field that night. I didn't want to go there about officiating. I actually have never seen more complaining about officiating than this year. And I know I did it too, but to call it a rip off is crap. That is trying to take away from a Valley team that has played balls out all year, espescially at home. We beat Burg, Oak Hill, Minford, Greenup, and now Waverly. This team has been good all year. They play hard, and because teams come in looking taller and more physical then lose is because of flat out effort by Valley. Period. I also want to say Waverly has a good team and I hope they do well in the tourney. Lots of friends up that way. Good luck Tigers.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

pmow3 wrote:
MoonTang wrote:Gee, 24 hours later.....I have had some time to think on this.

Hope this make sense.

What a bunch of crap. You want to talk about officiating? Go watch a replay of the Valley game at Waverly. That was pathetic. Waverly traveled 10 times and it wasn't called. When Waverly gets to the tournament, they better fix that problem or they'll be out fast. I can't believe anyone can say Valley didn't deserve that win. I'm sick of hearing that crap. You got beat. I'm telling you that game at Waverly was much worse than this one. But I'm not going to say Waverly didn't deserve to win it. They shot great from the field that night. I didn't want to go there about officiating. I actually have never seen more complaining about officiating than this year. And I know I did it too, but to call it a rip off is crap. That is trying to take away from a Valley team that has played balls out all year, espescially at home. We beat Burg, Oak Hill, Minford, Greenup, and now Waverly. This team has been good all year. They play hard, and because teams come in looking taller and more physical then lose is because of flat out effort by Valley. Period. I also want to say Waverly has a good team and I hope they do well in the tourney. Lots of friends up that way. Good luck Tigers.

We cheat at home....8 vs. 5 Refs are always on our side!!!!!

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

I know you're kidding, but really, this whole season has been special to see. The home games' crowd has been better and better all year. I've not seen this kind of home crowd at Valley in 20 years. The fans have stepped up because this team has played hard and are all good kids. It would have been easy for Utley, Cunningham, Arbaugh, Gibson, and Keller to get an attitude about Yates coming up as a freshman. But this team doesn't go that way. Everyone has a role on this team. Never seen so much depth. We will be a tough out in the tourney. I'm not saying how far, but whoever beats us will have done something. :122249

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

I agree.....to an extent. We had some GREAT crowds back in the 99-00, and the 00-01 seasons. I know we had the rowdiest student section around, heck these Waverly guys might remember the night the flashlights came out....I think they started leaving the lights on after that...lol

MoonTang
Waterboy

Post by MoonTang »

OK....36 hours later.

Maybe the officiating wasn't as bad as I originally portrayed....I did say that I couldn't entirely blame the officials for the Tiger loss.

Read, however, the comments on previous blogs about other SOC teams that have lost at Valley this year. Seems there are others out there who share my sentiments on officiating, too. Perhaps I shouldn't have read these blogs going prior to the game. Kinda gave me something to look for.

Nevertheless, a great 22-2 run for Valley....the definite difference in this game.

Oh. The lighting?
Couldn't help but observe.
Looks like just a technical positioning glitch that could easily be corrected.
The dome scoreboard is positioned exactly above center court, as it should be.
However, the lighting track across the beam is offset. The scoreboard looks like it is about 3 feet from the lighting on the bench side; on the opposite side it's about 1 1/2 feet away. Plus, the scoreboard drops about 2 feet below the lighting. Thus creating a shadow at midcourt. Center court is obviously the darkest place in the gym.

My point is.....such a beautiful and state of the art facility to be proud of....could be easily remedied.

Any electricians/contractors on-line?

Let's close this debate out on a positive note. Valley is a good basketball team who hustles and will bring-it in the tourney; Hats OFF. And, GOOD LUCK!

Waverly has rised above anyones expectations this year. Hopefully the Tigers will bring-it in the tourney, too.

Before it's all said and done....I'm rooting for SOC I & II representatives in the state finals. This will be great for our league.

GO SOC!

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

MoonTang wrote:OK....36 hours later.

Maybe the officiating wasn't as bad as I originally portrayed....I did say that I couldn't entirely blame the officials for the Tiger loss.

Read, however, the comments on previous blogs about other SOC teams that have lost at Valley this year. Seems there are others out there who share my sentiments on officiating, too. Perhaps I shouldn't have read these blogs going prior to the game. Kinda gave me something to look for.

Nevertheless, a great 22-2 run for Valley....the definite difference in this game.

Oh. The lighting?
Couldn't help but observe.
Looks like just a technical positioning glitch that could easily be corrected.
The dome scoreboard is positioned exactly above center court, as it should be.
However, the lighting track across the beam is offset. The scoreboard looks like it is about 3 feet from the lighting on the bench side; on the opposite side it's about 1 1/2 feet away. Plus, the scoreboard drops about 2 feet below the lighting. Thus creating a shadow at midcourt. Center court is obviously the darkest place in the gym.

My point is.....such a beautiful and state of the art facility to be proud of....could be easily remedied.

Any electricians/contractors on-line?

Let's close this debate out on a positive note. Valley is a good basketball team who hustles and will bring-it in the tourney; Hats OFF. And, GOOD LUCK!

Waverly has rised above anyones expectations this year. Hopefully the Tigers will bring-it in the tourney, too.

Before it's all said and done....I'm rooting for SOC I & II representatives in the state finals. This will be great for our league.

GO SOC!

Good Post overall......but I disagree with the officiating part of it. Valley SURELY didnt have the same crew work all 9 of their home games....

But I'll close on a good note as well....GOOD luck in the tourney Waverly!!

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Moontang???
Why everytime Waverly plays you here about bad officiating?? Maybe its the style they play!!! Valley undefeated at home, officiating. I believe that the officials are assigned games in the SOC!!! How could the officials be cheating???

Return to “Boys Basketball”