Chillicothe @ Waverly on Tuesday 2/17

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Chillicothe @ Waverly on Tuesday 2/17

Post by smurray »

WHAT AN AWESOME GAME AT HAWHEE'S PALACE! THE PLACE WAS ROCKIN!

Chilly lead 16-14 after one.
Waverly lead 31-27 at the break.
Chilly lead 44-42 after three.
Both defenses stepped it up in the 3rd, Waverly scoring 7 and Chilly just 5 points.

Chilly lead 49-42 with 7:28 to go in regulation after a 5-0 run to start the 4th.
Waverly cut it to 49-44 at the 4:30 mark (no scoring from 7:28 to then).
The Tigers cut it to 49-46 at the 4:00 mark and 49-48 with 1:00 to play.
Kretzer hit 1 of 2 from the line with .35 to play to tie at 49.
Chilly called timeout with .29 to play and .10 to play but couldn't score.

Then came the OT.
Waverly was up 54-51 with 1:19 to play after Remy hit 1 of 2.
Knights hit a bucket with .39 to play in OT to cut it to 54-53.
With .23 to play Van Volkinburg fouled out and Roback calmly hit both freebies to extend the lead to 56-53.
Martin was fouled with .10 to play and hit both to extend it to 58-53.
Remy then hit 2 freebies with .1 to play to make it 60-53.

WAVERLY HIT THEIR FOUL SHOTS DOWN THE STRETCH TO SEAL THE DEAL!

Martin lead the Tigers with 22 (hitting 10 foul shots), Roback & Lundin added 9 each, Kretzer 8, Robertson 7 (all in the 2nd period), Remy 3, Kelly 2.
Waverly hit 23-30 from the line - HUGE IMPROVEMENT
The Tigers did have 19 turnovers which was about the only negative part of the game.

Dawes 14 (three treys), Van Volkinburg 13, Turner 12, Knights 8, Smith 4, London 2.
The Cavaliers hit 9-13 from the line.

The young Tigers needed this game to prove to themselves they were a good ball club.

Savor this win tonight and prepare for the Burg.

luvthegame
Riding the Bench

Post by luvthegame »

Congrats to Waverly from Piketon!!!

ravens
Waterboy

Post by ravens »

Keep your heads up Cavaliers.We gotta take care of the next two games against the Ville.Then get ready for the tournaments.We just gotta make those little easy baskets that we miss other than that you kids can do it.Remeber REFUSE TO LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

toast
All State

Post by toast »

That was some crowd for a Tuesday night game...........heck any day of the week. You've got to love the passion shown by both sides. Tournament atmosphere with the fans very much into the game. What more can you ask for..........

After leading the entire game Waverly fell behind by 7 midway through the final period but fought back to send the game into OT. So many special plays in this Tiger win.

Kretzer opens the game by drilling a three :-D
Victor hitting a jumper at a critical time :-D :-D :shock:
Rheadon Remy taking care of business from the line :-D
Roback stepping up to the line with Waverly up 1 and 23 seconds left in the game and hits both shots :-D
Ryan Robertson coming off the bench and nailing several key shots and grabbing boards :-D
Nice play by Devin off the bench :-D
Martin played like a warrior the entire game :-D :-D ..........looked comfortable and confident from the line.

And how about the passion shown by coach Hobbs. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Congrats to coach Robertson and staff. They will be talking about this one for a long, long time. :-D :-D

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Tigers have to build from this game, go beat Burg Friday night and prepare for the Tigers of McClain.

Playing basketball like they did tonight is what everyone in Waverly has been waiting for.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

mkhhg20 wrote:Wow what a game! I was not rooting for either team but Chilli couldn't catch a break from the refs. I hate to say this but I think there would be a slightly different outcome if it were played at a neutral site. One particular ref, I'm not going to mention his name, in my opinon cost chilli the game. That same ref tried to home my team at Wellston when his brother coached there, but he was unsuccessful, so chilli I know how you feel. Caleb Knights clearly got tripped during the last minute of regulation, it was not a walk by any means (unbiasedly). I felt that Chilli and especially Coach Kellough kept their cool, so props to them. Both teams played extremely hard. Waverly has the bragging rights at least until the next time they both meet up, possibly in the tournament. I would love to see both teams face each other again.

im proud to see the cavs players and coaches kep their cool with those"refs".. with chilli going for the last shot and caleb TRIPPED and no foul called was flat out dishonesty....though chilli played horrible, those officials were a disgrace. the scouts sitting by us said chilli might as well pack up and leave, cause NO way were those officials gonna let waverly lose. i have no problem if chilli loses, but that was a joke. at least i know where the one official got his lack of integrity

Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

It's amazing how you can say refs cost the game for Chillicothe. They missed several lay-ups throughout the game and it's the refs fault. Waverly played an excellent game and should be congratulated for their effort. They were the better team tonight!

magic man
Waterboy

Post by magic man »

Yes, I am not putting waverly down but chilli did get this win taken from the refs. clearly the young white ref was not making the right calls he should have and i also had heard that when he was in front of the chilli cheerleaders that he had said some kind of curse word to them> dont know whats up with that

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

SHOCKER!!!

toast
All State

Post by toast »

I believe the number of fouls called on each team was fairly close.

On offense Chillicothe settled for the outside shot instead of going inside to draw contact. Waverly on the other hand pounded the ball inside all night or went hard to the hole. And let's not forget Chillicothe pressed and trapped the entire game, lots of reaching, blocking and slapping while attempting to get the ball. You would expect fouls to be called.

On the play in question I thought it was the correct call. The Chillicothe player tried to split two Waverly defenders that were side by side. There was absolutely nothing there.

Waverly earned this victory............ :-D :-D
Last edited by toast on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

split the defender? you have got to be kidding me...it was one on one....oh my..thats funny

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Congrats Tigers good win. Way to represent the Soc 2.
Coach Robertson did a really nice job tonight, he was well prepared for this one.
Waverly is a tough matchup for any team on any night, they wont meet a team any more athletic than they are, tonight they controlled the tempo of the game, out rebounded Chillicothe, didnt let Chillicothe transition and they made free throws finally.
I didnt think the teams would rest players and they didnt, to close to tourney time for that, as far as foul trouble went Waverly was probably more affected with Harrison having to sit almost all of the 3rd period with his 3rd foul early.
Bad news is another tough Game at Burg Friday, what a stretch of games for this young team. Enjoy this one tonight and then get ready for Friday.
KEEP UP THE INTENSITY

playtowin
Freshman Team

Post by playtowin »

Young official? The youngest official on the floor had 11 years of experience. All combined 50+ years.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Cry, whine, sniff, sniff
GIVE ME A BREAK!

There were bad calls both ways, the refs did not cost Chilly the game. Those 3 are no fans of Waverly you can rest assured.

The non call in question is NOT going to be called in any game where the officials know what's going on. It's just not going to be called. To think the refs won this game for Waverly is rediculous and takes away an awesome effort by the Tigers tonight.

Waverly outplayed, out hustled and wanted this game more. I saw no passion in the blue and white tonight. Face it, the Tigers were the better TEAM tonight.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Toast,

I won't say anything to negative about officiating, but if Knights was trying to split the defenders and traveling was called, then what was Roback doing when he bulled through the trap and fell, yet a foul was called. I spoke to two of the three refs and both of them threatened (one with the look and the others with words) to toss me. My point was they called the game inconsistent both ways. I love both teams, so I am not mad. I just like consistency. I thought two of Martin's fouls were cheap and at least one of Lundins.

As for the game. Kudo's to the Tigers for pulling off what one person said was their statement game (and possible "State tourney game"). The Cavs have taken the best shot from every team we have played this year and that comes when you are king of the hill.

I will say this. I don't know how Waverly has lost the games they have by the amount they have lost them. I have said this on many threads about them. I think there is to much talent. When you have a kid like Harrison Martin who almost never gets sets ran for him, score 20 points per game plus you have a start. When you have a D1 athlete like Roback who can rebound, defend and occassionaly score, then you have another part. When you have a 6'7" kid who is somewhat athletic and can clog the middle, then you have defense. When you have a kid that is athletic and can knock down the three ball, then you have something. If Waverly plays like they did tonight, they will beat Wheelersburg and Greenfield.

Looking at the stats, the Tigers get it done with 23-29 from the foul line. That is almost 80% and is unheard off in High School hoops (for that many shots). Most of them in pressure situations. Cavs hit 9-13 (much better then normal), but did not get to the foul line enough, due to no inside presence tonight.

I will see the official stats tomorrow and respond then, but my guess is Waverly shot lights out in the first half and then cooled off big time after that. My guess is they shot 45% or better. The Cavs hold teams to 40% or so. Cavs were lucky to shot 40% themselves tonight as the lid was closed on 3 layups and numerous attempts within 8 ft of the basket.

I will say this. The Cavs looked like they had no legs. That is no excuse, because you have to play through it and get the ball to the rack. Our bench did not come through as they have been so the Starters ate up quite a bit of minutes. Foul trouble on Knights and Turner hurt our ability to trap and do what we like to do. However, again we have to play through it.

My final thought is IMO, the Cavs did not peak ahead to Thursday, but even though their eyes might have been shut their brain was not focused. Next to the Warren fiasco, this is the worst game I have seen the Cavs play in three years and the Warren fiasco may not be far ahead.

On other note on Waverly. Scrap the 1-3-1 defense. It was only played on a few positions tonight as surprisingly Waverly went with an extremely soft man-to-man and at times looked like they were shadowing Dawes with Martin while softly playing a matchup with the other four. Not sure how often Travis plays this, but it slowed down our inside game tonight.

Cavs will rebound and play hard on Thursday. Effort may have been there tonight but execution was not. We have to get to the foul line and make buckets so we have more energy. I thought Gregg VanVolkinburg bought his A game tonight and he is my MVP. We also have got to get Seth Dawes taking more shots. That is my hope and prayer over the next two games and the post season.

GO CAVS!!!

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Take your loss dont blame it on the refs

playtowin
Freshman Team

Post by playtowin »

The non call in question is NOT going to be called in any game where the officials know what's going on. It's just not going to be called.

I surely hope that you are not an official making a comment like that. :(

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

No I'm not an official, playtowin.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

I stayed late looking for an one armed man. I even checked trauma units in both hospitals. I had promised to comfort the gentleman who threatened to cut his arm off. Should have been some blood someplace. What a game!!!! The Chillicothe players played and lost with class. I commend both coaches for the discipline displayed by both teams.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Hitchbone Van Volkenburg played extremely well tonight the kid hustled his butt off.
Losses gosh they have played some very good teams, 2 to Oak Hill and they might be the class of southern ohio, at Minford, at Valley, a strong Piketon team and Burg.
Harrison is a player dont know how many he had and he missed almost all of the 3rd., curious is Waverly the biggest all around team Chilli has faced this yr?
Last edited by crazymidgets on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”