Chillicothe @ Waverly on Tuesday 2/17

beaverlover
SE

Re: Chillicothe @ Waverly on Tuesday 2/17

Post by beaverlover »

Congrats to Waverly!!! Very impressive!!!

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Way to go Waverly! Big win for the SOC. Where's Moon Tang? I know he's got something for all this crazy referee stuff. :lol: You have your shoe on the other foot. Just kidding Tang. Congrats to the Tigers.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

crazymidgets wrote:Hitchbone Von Volkenburg played extremely well tonight the kid hustled his butt off.
Losses gosh they have played some very good teams, 2 to Oak Hill and they might be the class of southern ohio, at Minford, at Valley, a strong Piketon team and Burg.
Harrison is a player dont know how many he had and he missed almost all of the 3rd., curious is Waverly the biggest all around team Chilli has faced this yr?

yes, Gregg did play well. However, our inside presence did not shine enough to get the W, so everybody will be graded down.

Losses to good teams are not bad. It is how Waverly did not compete in those games. The guys that go to the game tell me. Waverly lost the Oak Hill game before they stepped on the floor. I will tell you this, if Waverly played like they did tonight, they beat Oak Hill and the Burg. I don't count Minford and Valley in this discussion. No disrespect to either program, but they should not beat Waverly. That is just my opinion and we all have one.

No Waverly is not the biggest team Chillicothe has faced. From a physcial strength standpoint, the biggest team we faced was D1 Reynoldsburg Saturday night on the road in which we probably played one of our best games of the year (70-67 win in overtime). Quite frankly, I believe the guys are mentally still feeling the effects of going to Logan on Friday and then back to Columbus on Saturday. The Reynoldsburg game was intense. Again, no disrespect to anybody in Southeast Ohio, but Reynoldsburg would make mincemeat out of all the teams down here. I still don't know how we won. What Waverly had tonight was 1) IMO, an excellent defensive game plan. They did not go to a stretched out man-to-man or play much of that 1-3-1. 2) That got rolling early with some buckets and gave them confidence 3) They got Chilly in foul trouble with Knights and Turner. That stops them from playing pressure D and driving hard to the hoop (charges). 4) Shot unbelievable from the foul line. My guess is Waverly is a 60% free throw team. If they shot that tonight they make 6 less and we have a ball game. On top of that, they hit pressure free throws. 5) Robertson played his butt off in the first half. 6) The crowd got into it and stayed behind the Tigers.

GO CAVS!!!

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

Bottom line is that Chill lost. The refs may have been terrible, but I'm sure that more of it had to do with Waverly playing an exeptional game and Chilli being tired because of the fact that they are in the midst of playing 8 games in 14 days.

I am as avid a Cavalier fan as anyone and probably more of a fan than most. I for one am tired of Cavalier fans, myself definately included, blaming the refs. We have seen this program grow to be one of the premier programs in Ohio over the last few years and we should be above blaming the refs for a regular season loss. Complain about one call or one ref fine. I wasn't there and I'm sure the officiating was bad, but were we up by 15 like we should be on most teams, then one call wouldn't make the difference.

In the grand scheme of things this loss means very little except for a bump to the pride of the cavs. One which, based on some recent comments, they may have needed to prime them for the tourney. Sort of like last year's loss to the Ville. This will not hurt anything as seeding is done and it is a non league game, and these to teams MAY get to match up again in the tourney if Waverly can get past McClain and Marietta. Two very good and very hot teams lately.

I would blame this loss, just by talking with some people who were at the game, on tired legs and looking forward to Zanesville, but on the other site, "This_DJ_3", a poster who I have come to trust and respect over the years, stated that the Cavs gave "an embarrassingly poor effort tonight". This kind of thing worries me heading into tournament time if it is true. The Cavs m=need to realize that they can be a GREAT team but they do not have the natural scorers that they had last year and they will win through defense, determination, drive, and desire. Those 4 D's will make or break this team in March.

Congrats and good luck Tigers.
Go Cavs.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Hitchbone said "Losses to good teams are not bad. It is how Waverly did not compete in those games. The guys that go to the game tell me. Waverly lost the Oak Hill game before they stepped on the floor. I will tell you this, if Waverly played like they did tonight, they beat Oak Hill and the Burg. I don't count Minford and Valley in this discussion. No disrespect to either program, but they should not beat Waverly"

I think you are underestimating, no, you are underestimating the SOC 2. Waverly is a very good team, yes. But they wouldn't beat Oak Hill on their best day. Neither would Chilicothe. Oak Hill will be in the final 4 of the state playing for a state championship. I know you mean no disrespect, but you have to count the losses to Minford and Valley. You know why? They LOST to them. Valley and Minford also beat Oak Hill. That's how good the SOC 2 is. Teams make other teams play bad sometimes. It sounds like that's what happened tonight.

MoonTang
Waterboy

Post by MoonTang »

OK, you all know I'm always the first & last to be critical of officiating....so here goes:

For the most part the officials let'em play physical around 8 foot of the rim. Don't think they had much choice in this type of game. On the other hand....lots of unnecessary touch fouls and hand checks to set the tone. Thought there were two pivotal calls that likely affected the game situation....not sure if they actually affected the outcome, but they did affect the situation. Those being: 1) the Chilly time-out (called while saving the ball....in the air at the scorers table) & 2) the traveling call on Caleb at the trap. I didn't like either call.

Still thought Chilli had chances to win it in OT & thought Waverly's nerves might give it away.

Other than this I thought the refs were fair-up for both teams.
I'd guess this is the type officiating we'll likely see in the tourney; so, it should prepare both teams.

Congrats to the CAVs on a great season...it ain't over "GO CAVS!" (beat Z'ville)
Congrats to the Tigers on a "season-making" win.

Maybe see a rematch at the CONVO in District Finals?

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Well there you go. The officiating was fair up. :122249

Tigersports
Waterboy

Post by Tigersports »

I did see a guy in the parking lot with a hacksaw did not wait around to see what happened. The game was amazing. The students came out in full force tonight and should be recognized. As for the game from what i saw once the young Tigers saw they could play with Big Bad Chillicothe the whole game changed 16- 14 end of one. Ryan Robertson was my unsung hero 7 points hit the open ones and was very physical rebounding. I only saw Kretz hit one three looked like he was forcing it a bit, i will not doubt that kids stroke. taking the lead in at half was huge. My big concern was when would the 7 man rotation catch up with us but those kids kept playing. Congrats to Chillicothe Seth Dawes is a very good player. Congrats to Coach Robertson and staff.

As for the call in question there were 2 defenders could have gone either way. The younger official is a highly respected official in Ohio he is a referee instructor and does a lot of tourney games. Also if you are talking to referees during the game you should be thrown out that is for the coaches to do. The calls went both ways some right some wrong Chilli ended up with more due to there aggressive style and press where as Waverly run mostly half court and zone. Good win Tigers but will mean a whole lot more if you can bury Barrick and the Burg.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Well Hitchbone I know we shouldnt lose to Minford or valley but its darn hard to go into those schools and win and Burg is not as good as usual they just have our number right now. Oak Hill first game they had us before the game started, second game Roback didnt go because of strep and Victor had a sprained ankle.
Waverly has not shot the ball well from the line all yr (under 65%) so they were definately due. Victor staying out of foul trouble was really big for us, and that is the base defense for Waverly its a sagging man to man or the packline defense same as Xavier or Wisconsin, and I agree scrap that 1-3-1 I hate it especially with the athletes we have.
I thought Ryan might have an impact on the game and was hoping he would get more minutes. I remember when Hawhee coached he loved having that one wide body who could block out get some garbage buckets play d. would like seeing him get even more time.
Chilli has a good thing going up there, will be a long line of coaches waiting for that job to open up if Gary decides to retire, but with a 6'9" freshman waiting in the wings he might stick around for a few more yrs lol.

MoonTang
Waterboy

Post by MoonTang »

bronc21 wrote:
mkhhg20 wrote:Wow what a game! I was not rooting for either team but Chilli couldn't catch a break from the refs. I hate to say this but I think there would be a slightly different outcome if it were played at a neutral site. One particular ref, I'm not going to mention his name, in my opinon cost chilli the game. That same ref tried to home my team at Wellston when his brother coached there, but he was unsuccessful, so chilli I know how you feel. Caleb Knights clearly got tripped during the last minute of regulation, it was not a walk by any means (unbiasedly). I felt that Chilli and especially Coach Kellough kept their cool, so props to them. Both teams played extremely hard. Waverly has the bragging rights at least until the next time they both meet up, possibly in the tournament. I would love to see both teams face each other again.

im proud to see the cavs players and coaches kep their cool with those"refs".. with chilli going for the last shot and caleb TRIPPED and no foul called was flat out dishonesty....though chilli played horrible, those officials were a disgrace. the scouts sitting by us said chilli might as well pack up and leave, cause NO way were those officials gonna let waverly lose. i have no problem if chilli loses, but that was a joke. at least i know where the one official got his lack of integrity

Hey Chilli, be thankful you're not playing on-the-road in the SOC II; it's like this every weekend.....suspect calls that change the face of the game....usually in the final minutes/seconds.

The best way to take the officials out of the game is to get a huge lead and and make it huger.....of course then one could be accused of running-up the score.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Yes this crew of officials will be doing several tourney games, supposed to be a top notch crew. I agree I didnt like either of those calls you mentioned and both were at critical times of the game, they took that save yourself with a time out going out of bounds away a couple of yrs ago and really shocked me when he let it stand, also saw a boy stand back up with the ball after a loose ball and I dont think your allowed to do that either.
They definately let them play underneath the basket which I like to see, it was a pretty amped crowd great atmosphere and a great game to watch, I mean where you gonna get that much entertainment on a Tuesday night for 5 bucks and not get thrown in jail. Good high school basketball

Crazy Legs
Freshman Team

Post by Crazy Legs »

pmow3 wrote:Hitchbone said "Losses to good teams are not bad. It is how Waverly did not compete in those games. The guys that go to the game tell me. Waverly lost the Oak Hill game before they stepped on the floor. I will tell you this, if Waverly played like they did tonight, they beat Oak Hill and the Burg. I don't count Minford and Valley in this discussion. No disrespect to either program, but they should not beat Waverly"

I think you are underestimating, no, you are underestimating the SOC 2. Waverly is a very good team, yes. But they wouldn't beat Oak Hill on their best day. Neither would Chilicothe. Oak Hill will be in the final 4 of the state playing for a state championship. I know you mean no disrespect, but you have to count the losses to Minford and Valley. You know why? They LOST to them. Valley and Minford also beat Oak Hill. That's how good the SOC 2 is. Teams make other teams play bad sometimes. It sounds like that's what happened tonight.

So does that make Minford and Valley the best teams in southern ohio? Oak hill is good but they lost two games in the SOC put them in any other league and they lose two more. The SOC has good teams this year that can go deep in the tourney but come on Minford and Valley as your references, Minford only beat Jackson by 9 and that's when Jackson wasn't playing very good.
I hope they play again in the tourney with the time off and time to prepare this wouldn't even be a game. This was Waverly's game not to lose the only way they lose this game was dumb mistakes on their end. Chillicothe was looking past Waverly towards Zanesville (plus tired legs) no one will say that but some of us that have played sports in high school and or college know. That many games and that much travel for high schools kids they might not realize it but they will be a step slow. (henece foul trouble) I was always looking forward to a championship game or a game vs the rival school. Good luck to both teams in the Tourney represent southern ohio very well! (Hope you don't run into Minford or Valley, haha) :lol:

jtc
Waterboy

Post by jtc »

to mkkhhg20 i just could not wait to hear how the refs lost the game..They lost over looking the tigers. but in real life thinking they had better talent and when the buzzer ring The cavs took the 15 mile trip up north to chill with there tail between there legs. Great game tigers//// (we are proud of tigers)

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Big win for the Tigers! Cav's will be fine- loss doesn't mean much if they rebound and win the next few. Big win for the Tiger program, now finish strong- there is no excuse not to finish with a win at the Burg- 14-6 would be a great season- heck I thought 10-10 would be a good year- still none of this matters unless we play well in the tourney's and I really think we will.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

I guess it's time to stop claiming that London is going to have some profound impact on the Cavs come tourney time. if he couldn't get off the bench anymore than he did tonight, with Ron Smith playing absolutely terribly as of late, then he's never going to get into a meaningful tournament game except for maybe a couple 2 minute stretches in the early quarters. tonight he gets in, gets ONE touch, and scores, gets beat for a layup, blocks two shots, doesn't properly step to the ball on one possession, gets yanked, and never see's the floor again. Ron is running down the court trying to go behind his back into a defender on a fast break layup, throwing up garbage shots left and right, and he's left on the court. that tells you how much confidence they have in the big guy right now. Which i don't think is well founded b/c he was good against Reynoldsburg and very good against Portsmouth. Waverly did most of their scoring at or near the basket or short jump shots, he could have had a big impact on those shots, as well as maybe putting him in just to win the jump ball at the start of overtime?

I also didn't like how Chilly took their foot off the gas and played not to lose in the 4th. we got up 6 and then shut it down and killed all our momentum. we have a hard time scoring in the half court so why would we call off the press and milk the clock on offense? we let waverly right back into the game doing that.

Caleb really struggles finishing at the rim, which is a big problem and one that is too late to correct. any traffic or contact at all and he can't finish a good drive. this hurts because he's not a perimeter threat to shoot, and yet not truly good at the drive and dish. he missed alot of bunnies in close tonight contested and uncontested that we could have used.

the call at the end was only one of many bad calls (definately the T.O. in the air call included). it was just made at such a critical juncture of the game that its under the microscope and gets all the attention. two defenders, both moving, the ball handler splits them, and one of them trips him. its not like they were stationary standing there and he just tripped over their feet, their feet swung into his legs and caused him to fall down, thats a blocking foul every day of the week. no argument. watch college basketball and you'll never see that ruled traveling, especially in a crucial situation. simply a horrible call.

the way i look at it is Waverly did everything they had to do to win. They had to shoot a high percentage, they did. They had to have role players step up and play above their standard performance...(roberson) they did. They had to have one of their studs go for 20 plus...they did. They had to have a tremendous gameplan...They did. They had to have chillicothe on an off night...They did. So what do you do? you tip your hat and say well done, you did it. you pulled off a great victory. Congratulations to coach Robertson and the Tigers. Hopefully the cavs will get a shot at redemption in the tourney. i'll be cheering for the Tigers so we get to see that!! Best of luck!

86cavs
Freshman Team

Post by 86cavs »

Dshanton3,
I agree with you 100% ron played liked crap the last two games.Maliks time will come on the floor,maybe not this year remember, he's only a Freshman.He will keep seeing some time but you gotta count on the senior leadership,they was juniors on last years Championship team.One thing the youngman needs to do is seriously get on a weight program to get alot stronger than what he his now.The few times I seen him play kids just ripped the ball right out of his hands but that will come as he matures a little.As for last nights game in Waverly yeah the ref's made several bad calls but when we miss 7 to 10 easy bunny shots and lay ups that hurts.Just like coach k said theres no excuse for the team performance.Maybe with the lost to the Tigers this will open up the kids eyes a little and get them prepared for the Tournaments.Anything can happened on any given night.
The Waverly team showed alot of heart in last nights game.
GO CAVS GO!!!!!!!!!!!! BLUE AND WHITE LETS FIGHT!!!!!!!! REFUSE TO LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by 86cavs on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

pmow3 said:
"Waverly is a very good team, yes. But they wouldn't beat Oak Hill on their best day. Neither would Chilicothe."

You can't be serious.
Anyone who was there last night knows that if the Tigers had played that way all year they could very well be undefeated.
Oak Hill lost to Minford and Valley whom Waverly beat handily at home. Oak Hill and Waverly both lost at Minford and Valley - no excuses, bad losses.

To think Waverly would never beat Oak Hill even on their best day is ludicrous. To think Chillicothe would never beat Oak Hill is just INSANE!

Dr. Chipinski
Waterboy

Post by Dr. Chipinski »

To quote Hitchbone, "I spoke to two of the three refs and both of them threatened (one with the look and the others with words) to toss me."

I spoke with one of the officials that did the game last night, and here's a question for you hitch...what were you doing on the floor talking to the officials? If you would have stayed in the bleaches where you belong, I doubt that they would have threatened you unless you were being extremely loud which you have been known to be. Let's keep it real here...you wouldn't like someone coming to your place of business telling you how to do your job, so let them do the job they were hired to do, whether you like it or not. If they don't do the job right, then they won't be assigned games. A loss is a loss, once again, Chilly take a loss well...

Congrats to Waverly on a hard fought victory, and good luck to both teams on their tourney runs.

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Post by O.R.prep »

pmow3: Before you start talking about Oak Hill getting to the state. You must remember they would have to get through a GREAT Worthington Christian team.(Not Going to Happen) And if they would and make it to state. This year outside of D1, D4 could be the most stocked it's been in a while. Esp if the likes of Dayton Jefferson, Bedford Chanel, And New Knoxville get there, D4 will be fun to watch. So please think before you say something like that.

Re: The Cavs- I have said this from the begining of the season. This team will lose some games that they should not,(Exp Warren, Waverly) And win some games that they should have not won. I for one think this was a good loss ,esp right before the tourney.

However, I agree with Dshanton, Mistakes and all, this was the type of Game you let London Play as much as possible. I know coach knows this, But sometimes you just have got to let a kid play through his mistakes.Esp when you are as talented as this kid is. Remember I said this." This team will need his services in a big way if they are going to advance deep into the tourney".

dawescpa
Riding the Bench

Post by dawescpa »

CAVS fans we need to be as classy as our kids! Waverly played one heck of a game. They deserved to win. I am disappointed we are calling our kids out though. Yes, this is an opinion forum, but when we were 1-2 how many of you thought we would be 14-4 at this point? We have taken best shots from every team we have played. Our effort last night was good, the results were not. There is a big difference! Do not mistake results with effort. I saw Greg diving on the floor, I saw Turner going into the stands, Caleb was on the floor numerous times. Seth has been sick since Friday, we don't know how many others may have the nasty chest congestion thing. Let's give Waverly credit. They were prepared and played very well. As fans we need to support these kids win or lose. They have earned that.

Return to “Boys Basketball”