Chillicothe @ Waverly on Tuesday 2/17

pmow3
Varsity

Re: Chillicothe @ Waverly on Tuesday 2/17

Post by pmow3 »

Think before I say something. :roll: Is that what it's called? Well I think Oak Hill will win their regional. That's what I think. If I'm wrong, so be it. Waverly can't beat Oak Hill. That I know. Waverly beat Chili. That I know. You do the math. Yes matchups are different. We all know that. But my opinion at least has some base to go on. Unlike Tigers2010onhuddle's. I understand you love your team and maybe I'm wrong, but Oak Hill is playing great ball right now and I've seen both. Waverly is not in Oak Hill's level. Sorry again just my opinion.
And crazy legs, I'm not saying Minford or Valley is the best team in Southern Ohio. Not by a long shot. I'm just saying they are good. To listen to some of the Waverly fans say they shouldn't have lost to Valley is what is INSANE. Valley should have won the game at Waverly too. I haven't looked at the brackets for Waverly, but I'm not as impressed with Waverly as some people are. I hope I'm wrong and I'll be rooting for Waverly all the way, but I think their ball handling is very suspect and except for the game last night, they don't shoot from the line very well. Sorry if I offended some of you experts on here. :roll:

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I had seen Waverly earlier in the year and was very impressed with Harrison Martin........a win over a very good Chillicothe team is something to be very proud of..........if the Tigers bring that level of game to the tourney, they can make a good run..........

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Waverly will be fine and maybe we couldn't beat Oak Hill this year but hopefully will get better over the summer and maybe we can compete next year. As far as getting beat on the road at Valley and Minford- even though we could have won both games- I was not surprised because we are a young group and when you are young you try to win at home and play the best as you can on the road.

The one thing I like about this team that people forget- when you are as young as we are - most of the time you will lose to someone you should have beat and I don't think we have- we have been close to getting beat when we played ugly (Huntington and Northwest) but give our youngsters credit - we still were able to win.

Now in saying that I think we have two good wins over teams that we could have lost against- Vinton County (who is not as good as I thought, but still a very tough place to play) and Chillicothe. I also think beating Valley and Minford at home was huge for this group.

Someone mentioned ball-handling as a problem and everyone knew it was a concern going into the season but Remy is getting better and Kelly is only a freshman who is going to be fine with experience.

I look foward to a very exciting run of games ahead for the Tigers. They have already done a lot better than what I have expected, but I sure hope they are not near satisfied yet.

I was also very pleased to see the student section fired up last night and they better be that loud in the tourney as that really helps these guys! And I have said it before- but I will say it again- there has never been a better pep-band than Waverly- if you couldn't get pumped up before that game last night something was wrong with you!
I also don't know why it took so long to play some music before tip-off and after the games but that is sure nice too- next year they need to play music during timeouts and keep the place "rocking" - if you want a good program doing little silly things like that go a long way. My hat is off to Bo Arnett and Mr. Dickens for allowing some school spirit to come alive!--It's about time! I also appreciate the efforts made by everyone who kept the gym decorated and the big posters that were up all year- we look like we are making a great effort to help our athletes develope some pride in the program!!!!

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

nice post bucki4life. Well said, Waverly is young and their next year or two will be very successful. Good luck to Waverly. I do agree though, the ballhandling needs to get better. And they seem to travel alot too.

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

The refs were somewhere between awful and idiotically pathetic.
That being said Waverly did all the little things, but Waverly has to GRAB the defensive rebounds better and as far as ball-handling go we did have turnovers but Chilli plays hard-nosed defense and gets inside your jersy so they're going to force turnovers.
Remy did an excellent job against Vinton Co. not having a single turnover and he is making more, better decisions every game. He made mistakes last night, but he did make a couple of nice passes to hit the open man too.
Too much calling out players on here they are 15-18 any of you that played sports in high school can't tell me that you didn't screw up at some time on the field/court. I know I made some stupid decisions trying to be Tiger Woods when I played golf in high school.
We all need to remember the players are just kids and all of them make mistakes.

To Coach Robertson and the Tigers: great win for your program good luck Friday and way beyond.

Ace
Freshman Team

Post by Ace »

bucki4life,
The Kelly kid isn't going to get much experience sitting on the bench playing behind Remy. He only gets to play a couple of minutes each game. Don't you think he should get a few quarters of JV playing time to help him develop and get him some game-time experience?

Coach Robertson: Great win! Your hard work and dedication to the program is beginning to pay off. I'm sure anyone who knows anything about basketball is grateful to have you running the show.

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Ace,
Kelly did play some reserve quarters for two games and then he went back to varsity only, and it makes sense to have him available for four quarters intsead of two and he has played some big minutes in some big games.

However, I would have rather seen Kelly or any freshman play jv all year unless he was going to see a lot of time in varsity games- and I am sure the coaches know what they are doing and they obviously feel that Remy deserves more time.

Ace
Freshman Team

Post by Ace »

But Kelly hasn't seen a lot of varsity playing time. You gain experience by playing. You are allowed to play so many quarters in a season, which he hasn't even come close to getting. He would've improved more this season playing at least 2 JV quarters each night instead of getting only a few minutes of varstiy time.

How many quarters are you allowed to play in one day?

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Ace wrote:But Kelly hasn't seen a lot of varsity playing time. You gain experience by playing. You are allowed to play so many quarters in a season, which he hasn't even come close to getting. He would've improved more this season playing at least 2 JV quarters each night instead of getting only a few minutes of varstiy time.

How many quarters are you allowed to play in one day?

You are only allowed 5 quarters a night.I think it is better for him to be strictly on varsity.

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Post by O.R.prep »

pmow3: It is good that you have that confidence in Oak Hill, But Come on! Get in the real world. Chillicothe would destroy The mighty Oaks. In fact if Waverly played Chillicothe Ten times they might when two. Now do not get me wrong, Waverly deserves all the credit for last nights win. They caught the Cavs on the right night and got the victory. But to compare Oak hills Program to Chillicothe is insane.Please don't forget Chillicothe 2008 State champs. When was the last time you heard those words around the Oak Hill Boys B-ball program.

Also: Please remember you have got to get by Worthington Christian in Columbus in the regonial at the barn. (Not going to happen)

Anybody who has followed B-ball in the southeast part of the state knows that coach Norm has stuggled getting over the regonial hurdle in the past. It just won't happen this year.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

You are permitted 5 periods per night but a total of 80 for the season (20 game regular season).

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

O.R.prep wrote:pmow3: It is good that you have that confidence in Oak Hill, But Come on! Get in the real world. Chillicothe would destroy The mighty Oaks. In fact if Waverly played Chillicothe Ten times they might when two. Now do not get me wrong, Waverly deserves all the credit for last nights win. They caught the Cavs on the right night and got the victory. But to compare Oak hills Program to Chillicothe is insane.Please don't forget Chillicothe 2008 State champs. When was the last time you heard those words around the Oak Hill Boys B-ball program.

Also: Please remember you have got to get by Worthington Christian in Columbus in the regonial at the barn. (Not going to happen)

Anybody who has followed B-ball in the southeast part of the state knows that coach Norm has stuggled getting over the regonial hurdle in the past. It just won't happen this year.

Oak Hill would beat Chillicothe in my opinion.Also the D4 Regionals are at Athens this year,Thank goodness,don't know why the ever had them at the barn anyway.I hated going there.Going from the Convo to the barn did'nt make any sense.Now we get to see the regionals at a top notch facility.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

O.R. Prep are you the one that said he would cut his arm off? Last night Waverly solidified how rough the SOC 2 is. Right now Waverly has the 4th best record in their division and somehow the weak SOC #4 team has beaten once beaten VC and the last year's state champs who is leading the SEOAL.

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Post by O.R.prep »

Beaverlover: You are right. The regional semi games are split between the barn and the convo. And the final is in Athens this year. However I still think if the final is between Oak Hill and Worthington Christian The mighty Oaks will go down no matter where the game is played. Worthington Christian is to strong.

Also, Just keep dreaming about thinking Oak Hill could beat Chillicothe. Like i said , Until other teams can put the title State Champs besides there name then we will talk.

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Post by O.R.prep »

Soccerfix: That was not me. The outcome of that game sure did not supprise me. I thought this could possibly happen to the Cavs as many games as they have played here of late.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

O.R.prep wrote:pmow3: It is good that you have that confidence in Oak Hill, But Come on! Get in the real world. Chillicothe would destroy The mighty Oaks. In fact if Waverly played Chillicothe Ten times they might when two. Now do not get me wrong, Waverly deserves all the credit for last nights win. They caught the Cavs on the right night and got the victory. But to compare Oak hills Program to Chillicothe is insane.Please don't forget Chillicothe 2008 State champs. When was the last time you heard those words around the Oak Hill Boys B-ball program.

I am not comparing the 2008 Chili champion team to Oak Hill and their program. I am comparing the 2009 Chilicothe team to Oak Hill this year. You say Chili could play Waverly 10 times and Waverly might win 2. Well, guess how many times Waverly would beat Oak Hill if they played 10 times? ZERO! It doesn't matter for these teams will obviously not play, but you say Get in the real world? Are you serious? Oak Hill beat Waverly twice, and Chili is 0-1 vs. Wav. How real do you want me to be. This is no disrespect to Chili at all. They have a great program. I just think Oak Hill will be a tough out for anyone in this tourney. And I think OH is playing at their peak right now when Chili is not.

cavalierfan95
Freshman Team

Post by cavalierfan95 »

congrats to the tigers.i have some friends in waverly and they been waiting on this one.the cavs went cold in the fourth and waverly took advantage of that.
again congrats to the tigers and good luck in the tourney.

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

pmow3 wrote:

I am not comparing the 2008 Chili champion team to Oak Hill and their program. I am comparing the 2009 Chilicothe team to Oak Hill this year. You say Chili could play Waverly 10 times and Waverly might win 2. Well, guess how many times Waverly would beat Oak Hill if they played 10 times? ZERO! It doesn't matter for these teams will obviously not play, but you say Get in the real world? Are you serious? Oak Hill beat Waverly twice, and Chili is 0-1 vs. Wav. How real do you want me to be. This is no disrespect to Chili at all. They have a great program. I just think Oak Hill will be a tough out for anyone in this tourney. And I think OH is playing at their peak right now when Chili is not.

Don't wanna sound arrogant but, how could you think that a school that isnt even big enough to have football team could beat a team with as many athletes as Chilli more often than not. Not saying they would never win. Just saying that it would not happen more than 3 out of 10 times if that.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Well, I'm not trying to sound arrogant either, but Oak Hill does have a football team. I know this school is alot smaller than Chili, and I know Chilicothe surely doesn't have to prove themselves to anyone let alone a smaller school like Oak Hill. But, for you to say a D-4 school couldn't compete with a D-2 school is totally bogus. It happens all the time. I can't believe we are even arguing this anyway. Oak Hill beat a team that beat you guys twice. How can anyone think this little D-4 school from deep in the woods of Southern Ohio play against a state championship team from last year? Well they could!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

pmow3,
If Waverly had played Oak Hill like they played last night they come away with the win over the Oaks. If Oak Hill is so high and mighty to be able to beat Chilly in a series how did they lose to Minford and Valley, whom pathetic Waverly beat? I really don't think Waverly is pathetic, just inserted that for you since you think they could NEVER beat Oak Hill on their best night.

Return to “Boys Basketball”