Athens Shriners Preview

Sportsfanallnitelong
JV Team

Re: Athens Shriners Preview

Post by Sportsfanallnitelong »

bigbluedad wrote:
sportsfanallnitelong wrote:Big blue dad
U forgot the Waverly vs Warren game at the CONVO December 17th @ 2:15.
Thanks, forgot about it

No Problem. That game sorta stuck right out at me since being Waverly. Should be a good game in a great atmosphere.

90buckeye
Varsity

Post by 90buckeye »

New schedule:

3:00 - Wellston vs Southern

3:45- - Warren vs FH

4:30 - Meigs vs Miller

5:15 - Athens vs Belpre

6:00 - NY vs Eastern

6:45 - Alexander vs S. Gallia

7:30 - Vinton County vs Trimble

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

Does it cost anything to get into the preview Friday?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bigbluedad wrote:Does it cost anything to get into the preview Friday?
Yea, one price gets you all day (I think it is $5.00) ... Its a fundraider basically ... That's why its called the "SHRINERS" preview.

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

I hope I can make it up for the two early games. I want to see Warren play, I never got a chance to watch them over the summer. I also want to watch the Southern vs Wellston game. I liked what I saw out of Southern in the shoot outs and want to see if this is the same team I watched over the summer. I have heard Wellston is much improved and want to get a look at them. Plus I want to see what Howie does with his new team and all their height. It will be nice to get a look at Athens too. This is the team a lot of people were expecting big things out of a few years back. It should be a good day of basketball, with the proceeds going to a great cause! I'm excited the season is almost here!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Grinder wrote:I hope I can make it up for the two early games. I want to see Warren play, I never got a chance to watch them over the summer. I also want to watch the Southern vs Wellston game. I liked what I saw out of Southern in the shoot outs and want to see if this is the same team I watched over the summer. I have heard Wellston is much improved and want to get a look at them. Plus I want to see what Howie does with his new team and all their height. It will be nice to get a look at Athens too. This is the team a lot of people were expecting big things out of a few years back. It should be a good day of basketball, with the proceeds going to a great cause! I'm excited the season is almost here!
I was thinking about watching some college football - then go over in time to see Athens play - but I can't pass up the chance to see Southern, Warren, Wellston and Fed Hock play ... They defintly got the 'match-ups' right to draw in the 'die hard' basketball fans right from the start.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Anyone got any scores?

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

I'm not sure of the scores but here is what I know of the outcomes.

Wellston over Southern by 1 point.
Warren over Fed. Hock by a HUGE margin
Meigs over Miller 38-28
Belpre over Athens by 6 or so.
Nelsonville over Eastern by a HUGE Margin.

Those are the games that I seen, didn't stay and watch the last 2 games.

zipper1
Freshman Team

Post by zipper1 »

how did wellston look anyone see the game.

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

Coach_K wrote:I'm not sure of the scores but here is what I know of the outcomes.

Wellston over Southern by 1 point.
Warren over Fed. Hock by a HUGE margin
Meigs over Miller 38-28
Belpre over Athens by 6 or so.
Nelsonville over Eastern by a HUGE Margin.

Those are the games that I seen, didn't stay and watch the last 2 games.
Warren 39- Fed Hock 11

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Here are the scores from Friday's preview ... http://trivalleyconference.com/

I'll add the 'high scorers' here in a minute ... I was just busy listening to the Wahama/Williamstown game.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Wellston looked pretty good. I think both leagues are going to be very very competitive. Any team in any league can win on any night

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Super Trooper wrote:Wellston looked pretty good. I think both leagues are going to be very very competitive. Any team in any league can win on any night
I thought out of the Hocking teams, Southern and South Gallia looked to be pretty strong ... I'm not sold on Trimble, Eastern or Miller being able to beat those two teams on any given night Trooper.

But then again, it was just a 'preview.' I could be totally wrong in that assesment.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I think belpre southern and south gallia are at the top of the hocking. I also think that miller eastern fed and Trimble will be competitive. It will take eastern a while to get their new cast playing with some confidence but I think howie has his hands full. Fed doesn't have anyone who can create their own shot. Miller is also much improved

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I thought Miller looked much improved as well ... I actually tried to bet someone that they would not finish at the bottom of the league this year. (last season they were 1-19)

I also forgot about Belpre - they did look good ... Very disciplined for having a new coach, young players and it being so early.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I didn't recognize a few of belpres kids. Did they get some transfers or anything? If thornhill can keep his boys focused they will win the hocking. But southern ays great d and south gallia sure can light up the scoreboard

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The only players I remember from Belpre were Drew Nestor (#10) and Ryan Leasure (#23) ... Nestor scored 10 pts and the 6-foot-5 Leasure scored 2 ... The other players I am not familiar with.

Two teams we didn't get to see tonight were Waterford and Wahama ... Two teams that finished 2nd and 3rd last season in the Hocking ... I don't want to really favor any team just yet until I see what the Wildcats and White Falcons have.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Football season is hurting wahama. I don't know much about Waterford. But I don't see how either could be better than belpre southern or s gallia. Maybe just as good but not better. I think this is the most even the league has been in a while. Considering there is no real strong favorite and miller is somewhat relevant again

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... an interesting Preview today/tonight ... glad I was able to make it to A'town for the Shriner's get together ... usually for these Preview formats most teams don't show to much ie. they don't go with their starters, will mix up the lineups, won't run the "good stuff" at the offensive end ... with that in mind I suppose taking much of what we saw tonight has to be taken with a grain of salt BUT with that said I think you can get a feel for most of the teams out on the court ... obviously you can't give the league titles to anyone yet BUT based on the talent, the discipline at both ends of the floor or lack of discipline at both ends, athleticism, size, ball movement, passing etc. one CAN get a good feel for the TEAMS we watched at the Preview ...

Warren ... definitely the class of the Preview ... solid, disciplined, great ball movement, good depth

Athens ... debuted 2 freshmen Joey Burrows/Ryan Luehrman ... that's almost 12 1/2 feet of talent! Burrows has excellent range and a shooters mentality, while McCarthy is long, and gets to the rim ... Coach Skinner has depth, talent, size, I was impressed with the discipline shown at both ends of the floor for the Bulldogs ...

Belpre ... was my surprise team on the evening ... beating Athens in their matchup 30-27 ... good size, athletic, young talent in Ullman and Therriault both sophomores, mixed with PG leadership of Drew Nestor (sr) ... they played well for 1st year coach Jordan Thornhill ...

South Gallia ... starts 5 seniors - good size, strong at every position, a perimeter minded squad that CAN put it up and CAN knockdown the trey Cory Haner leading the way, with the athletic, get into the paint, finish at the rim Levi Ellis playing the ying with Haner's yang ... at to the mix Matney "squared" in Danny/Dalton & John Johnson 6-3 and you have an experienced/solid ball club ... the one drawback will be to see how far Coach Saunders can go into his bench ... lots to like about the Rebels ...

Vinton County ... Coach Combs boyz are typical VC - ball movement, pesky on the defensive end, push the ball in transition, limit you to one and done ... a good mix of experience to go with youngsters ... (srs) Ryan Chesser/the man mountain of Dustin Holsinger ... (jrs) LB Remy/Jordan Kidd are all set in motion by sophomore PG Alex Owings ...

Wellston ... stayed on my list of surprise teams to watch this season ... one of the better starting groups in Nigel Court/Justus Ousley/Blake Warrington ... out front Dakota Brown/Austin Craig ... good size/athletic/kids who get on the boards at both ends ...

Southern ... Coach Caldwell's Tornadoes lack size, are senior loaded, like to get out in transition, seems to struggle in the half court ... didn't show a lot from the perimeter, if they can't out in transition and forced to run the offense half court, boyz get into the paint and dish ... well coached ...

Meigs ... not sure we saw THE lineup for Coach Ewing ... MHS has good size in the paint Jesse Smith/Dustin Ulbrich ... we'll know a lot about the Marauders real fast as they open with the Warren Warriors out of the SEOAL on Dec 3rd ...

Rounding out the TVC ... Alexander/Federal Hocking/Miller/Trimble/Eastern ... Alexander will be a surprise team - well coached by Coach Gabriel ... disciplined at both ends, good athletes ...

... it was good to watch hoops with 93dog as usual ... I'm sure our paths will cross on the Road to the Convo many times this season ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Excoach78
Freshman Team

Post by Excoach78 »

I was at the Fort Frye/Waterford preveiw at FF. Waterford lost 38-23. Got out hustled by Fort Frye and let FF pressure get to them. Tate Lang got in foul trouble ( maybe their best player). They will win some games but need to work harder at this point.

Return to “Boys Basketball”