North Adams vs Portsmouth

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Re: North Adams vs Portsmouth

Post by Hitchbone64 »

hook em horns wrote:The record of a high school basketball team in the Southeast District obviously is not indicative of the team's capability. Unfortunately, not every coach understands that concept.

Portsmouth is one of the top two or three teams in the Waverly sectional but with politics the deserving does not always get rewarded.

hook em,

I was told well before they happened, the D3 Seedings would be as political as it gets. I would have loved to see this game at the Convo. Congrats again to N.A. on a big win. Also, I am proud of P-Town for representing well. Not many gave them a chance after their up and down season.

I look forward to seeing this N.A. team in person.

kram
Varsity

Post by kram »

luvthegame wrote:Does anyone know what colleges are recruiting the North Adams kid?

heard he was comin' to shawnee, don't know how true that is but it's what I heard

hook em horns
Freshman Team

Post by hook em horns »

indians10, good breakdown from an objective point of view.

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

Nice shot at a tough team Portsmouth. This Chilli fan was pulling for you guys big time. I think that some valid points were made though about the level of comp. When a team that finishes in the bottom of the SEOAL with 2 or 3 wins takes an undefeated team from another league to OT, there is definately a deficit. Not knocking anyone. Just thinking aloud. Anyway, Good season Trojans. Good Luck Devils.

hoopin
Freshman Team

Post by hoopin »

"I would guess thats the closest this North Adams team has come to losing this year."

Close, Unger hit a buzzer-beating 3 against Chesapeake when N.A. was down 1 or 2 pts. earlier in the season at the Convo. They also went to OT against Eastern Brown after an opposing player threw in a 3 at the buzzer.

hook em horns
Freshman Team

Post by hook em horns »

No question, the SEOAL is the best in the SE District. They have the biggest schools and with that the best teams. Its unfortunate for P-town come tournament time they are in the SEOAL and play that schedule which in turn allotted them the #9 seed and forced them to play the #1 seed.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

Unger is a good player, but he is going to have to get much, much stronger to play at the next level.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

If Portsmouth gets in the SOC their record will improve drastically, then maybe they will get higher seeds, I guess.

2Legit2Quit
Waterboy

Post by 2Legit2Quit »

Unger is deceivingly strong. When he drives through the lane he MOVES people. He looks skinny and frail, but he packs a whalop!

Great game by both teams! 23 for P-Town got a little chirpy at times with N.A. but man could he shoot the lights out. When Williams got the ball inside he was money, and he had a nasty tip back slam. :122246 But Unger and the Devils were able to pull it out. Good Luck at the Convo!

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

hitchbone64 wrote:
hook em horns wrote:The record of a high school basketball team in the Southeast District obviously is not indicative of the team's capability. Unfortunately, not every coach understands that concept.

Portsmouth is one of the top two or three teams in the Waverly sectional but with politics the deserving does not always get rewarded.

hook em,

I was told well before they happened, the D3 Seedings would be as political as it gets. I would have loved to see this game at the Convo. Congrats again to N.A. on a big win. Also, I am proud of P-Town for representing well. Not many gave them a chance after their up and down season.

You were told correctly. Coaches take care of their own league. The leagues should be divided up into different sectionals, since coaches have no character to do what is right.

I look forward to seeing this N.A. team in person.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Green Devils on the win........and to Kraig Unger on a fantastic performance............this young man can play at the next level for someone!!

PROUD OF OUR PORTSMOUTH TROJANS!!!!..........Our kids played their guts out all night and took a 21-0 team down to the last shot in OT............OUR TROJANS made all the Trojan Nation very proud..........

This was high school basketball at its best!!!........Both teams battling hard with a loud, large crowd.........it doesn't get better than that in all of sports!!!

I thought we represented the SEOAL very well..........a 6th place team with a #9 seed taking a state ranked 21-0 team to OT............it shows no doubt how tough our league is............

Anthony Williams.........we are going to miss the big man........what a career!!!......a double double virtually every night.........and once again last night he comes up with another great performance..........I really enjoyed watching him play, and I hope he gets a chance to play at the next level.

To all the seniors.........I wish them the best as they move on in life.........

To all the coaches........you had the kids prepared to play........great job!!!

I thought our fans did a great job........so refreshing to see the Trojan fans really into the game!!!

I'm looking forward to next year already........we have some holes to fill, but we have some good kids coming back...........

GO TROJANS........2009-2010!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

It would be nice to see the Trojans get a higher seed in the future but it will be challenging being in the SEOAL.......I love being in the league but it makes it difficult to secure a higher seed.......we were a #10 last year and #9 this year........the Zane Trace game went down to the last 30 seconds and this year North Adams makes a shot at the buzzer in OT to win.........it's frustrating to be seeded that low......we have to win more games.........BUT OUR TROJANS MADE US PROUD LAST NIGHT!!!

I don't think there's any doubt after last night that the SEOAL is the toughest league in the SE District..........

thebull
Varsity

Post by thebull »

What a performance by K20 CONGRATS TO ALL THE DEVILS!!!!! Easy to see why all the other svc and shl coaches didnt want any part of the Trojans. Great ball club.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

Wow....What a great game....Congrats to Portsmouth on a good season and best of luck to you in the future....Best of luck Green Devils in the District.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

trojandave wrote:Congratulations to the Green Devils on the win........and to Kraig Unger on a fantastic performance............this young man can play at the next level for someone!!

PROUD OF OUR PORTSMOUTH TROJANS!!!!..........Our kids played their guts out all night and took a 21-0 team down to the last shot in OT............OUR TROJANS made all the Trojan Nation very proud..........

This was high school basketball at its best!!!........Both teams battling hard with a loud, large crowd.........it doesn't get better than that in all of sports!!!

I thought we represented the SEOAL very well..........a 6th place team with a #9 seed taking a state ranked 21-0 team to OT............it shows no doubt how tough our league is............

Anthony Williams.........we are going to miss the big man........what a career!!!......a double double virtually every night.........and once again last night he comes up with another great performance..........I really enjoyed watching him play, and I hope he gets a chance to play at the next level.

To all the seniors.........I wish them the best as they move on in life.........

To all the coaches........you had the kids prepared to play........great job!!!

I thought our fans did a great job........so refreshing to see the Trojan fans really into the game!!!

I'm looking forward to next year already........we have some holes to fill, but we have some good kids coming back...........

GO TROJANS........2009-2010!!!

TrojanDave

The Trojans made all of Southern Ohio proud, especially us along the River.
What a great game by both teams. I was watching the update thread and my heart was pounding, I can only imagine what it was like at the game.

Great job Trojans.

BALLER1
Freshman Team

Post by BALLER1 »

One of, if not, the best high school game I have ever watched. Two great ball teams that played extremely well and together. I think if P-Town played like that all year, they would have won more ball games. There is no way they are a 9 seed. My hats off to them and I think they will be tough to handle next year.

North Adams, this is a year that they could go a long way. They proved tonight that they are the real deal. Mr. Unger, what can anyone say to give you the respect that you deserve. He put his team on his shoulders and done everything down the stretch. He is by far the best player in Southeastern Ohio. He can shoot, drive, defend, rebound...he is the complete package. The big men also done a great job. Good luck to them the rest of the tourney!

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

If NA can keep up the same intensity, they could make a deep tourney run.

Seeing them win it all would be great, since they were basically robbed of the one that they should have won.

shljunkie
Varsity

Post by shljunkie »

a lot of whining about the SEOAL being the toughest league around....looks like playing in that league may have better prepared you to play a team from the SHL.
Good teams and good coaches find a way to win.
Turnovers killed Portsmouth but IMO not as much as their lack of use of their big guy. Seems that he didn't touch the ball the 4th quarter. Not sure what was up with that but it was definately a huge factor.

dmills
Riding the Bench

Post by dmills »

hbk123 wrote:If NA can keep up the same intensity, they could make a deep tourney run.

Seeing them win it all would be great, since they were basically robbed of the one that they should have won.

Come on drop it that was like 13 years a go.
Last edited by dmills on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold.and.Green88
Freshman Team

Post by Gold.and.Green88 »

Why in the world would you say that? What's your reasoning behind that comment?

Return to “Boys Basketball”