SCRIMMAGES

4thgoal
SEOPS

Re: SCRIMMAGES

Post by 4thgoal »

Matt52 wrote:heard coal grove did very well against the burg definitly a team to watch out for
I wouldn't put much faith in winning a SCRIMMAGE against a very young Burg team with mostly sophomores and no size.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the Purple's Pre-Season schedule to include :

vs Wellston November 16 @ 5:30pm
vs Marietta/Logan Elm November 23 @ 3:30pm
vs Federal Hocking November 25 @ 10:00am

All games being played at home.

ADD one more quality opponent in the preseason scrimmage season for Coach Helber's PURPLE ... Grandview Heights out of the MSL Cardinal Division will be visiting Jim's Gym I believe on Saturday Nov. 26th ... I don't have a time BUT I would assume a tip-off in the range of the Friday morning 10am get together with Federal Hocking on "no school" Friday Nov. 25th ...

... I like the scrimmages put together for the preseason menu ... looking forward to the BIG Tri-scrimmage with Marietta and Logan Elm next week Nov. 23rd ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Posted on the Warren thread a very interesting matchup Saturday morning at Fairfield Union ...

Coach Maddox's Warren Warriors travel to FU to take on Coach Sky Brusco's Falcons ... Fairfield Union will be a solid ball club this season, as they showed last year finishing 10-10 ... fundamentally sound at both ends of the court - the same "defense wins ball games" attitude led by soph PG Jordan Barr ... if anyone is in the neighborhood of FU at 10am Saturday morning THIS ONE WILL BE A GOOD SATURDAY MORNING MATCHUP ... hmmmm might these two run into each other come sectional play time in Logan???? ...

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I believe there's a 4 team scrimmage at Vinton county on the 23rd .

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

Chesapeake vs Waverly scrimmage today.
23-6 Chesapeake end of 1
44-31 Chesapeake end of 2
57-39 Chesapeake end of 3
70-54 Chesapeake end of 4
then they restarted the score
23-14 Chesapeake end of 5
40-20 Chesapeake end of 6

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

ovc fan wrote:Chesapeake vs Waverly scrimmage today.
23-6 Chesapeake end of 1
44-31 Chesapeake end of 2
57-39 Chesapeake end of 3
70-54 Chesapeake end of 4
then they restarted the score
23-14 Chesapeake end of 5
40-20 Chesapeake end of 6

Wow

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Waverly played poorly in the first qtr (They acted like they were still on the bus after the 90 minute drive) But played evenly with Chesapeak the rest of the way. last two qtrs was after a long break of running sets against each other, neither team did much last two qtrs but they did experiment with different defenses and different lineups.

Peake plays good defense and runs a very good offense. I wouldnt be shocked to see them go 20-0, they are very well coached.

Waverly didnt defend very well and struggled rebounding a little in the begininng but really picked it up as the day went on.

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

4th n goal i understand what your saying about cg beating a young burg team but we at the grove are excited because after what we have been through the last 4 years with randy ward. he had our program in shambles and only 15 kids played in the whole school. now we have 35 kids out for bb and a full freshman schedule. for us to even compete with wheelersburg even though they r young gets us excited. i know wheelersburg is well coached and always brings a good challenge. after winning only 2 games last year the future looks alot brighter for the grove. we also look forward to playing the burg in football next year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... rico suave - nice post ... best of luck to the Coal Grove boyz this season ... please keep us ALL updated on players, napkin stats for CG this season ...

rico suave
Freshman Team

Post by rico suave »

sure thing pfloyd. the grove beat clay in a scrimmage today 60-36 for 4 qts. they won a 5th quarter 11-6.

cg not big but athletic and quick. i think they caused 4 or 5 5 second counts. the point guard bare had 30 some pts in the 4 quarters. steele and markins also played well.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I'm not knocking anyone here but rather trying to give perspective here Clay graduated there first 8 players and are starting like 3 sophmores and burg lost alot to graduation as well and there lead guard transferred to Minford . CG is going to compeat hard this year I'm sure but those two opponents might be misleading .

Blue_nd_Gray
JV Team

Post by Blue_nd_Gray »

Played 6 - 10 minute periods. Athens won 5 of 6. RV won the 4th, 15-14.

But scrimmages are just that.[/quote]
Other than the 1st and last qtrs the scrimmage was pretty competitive scores were really close if you look at scores in scrimmages?
2 pretty athletic teams playing defense and transitioning.
I think the Raiders get Aaron Harrison (ankle) and Derek Flint (back) healthy they will surprise some folks. Both tried to go but were not themselves.[/quote]

I heard the last quarter that rv didn't score for the first 9:30? Does that sound "athletic" or "transitioning"?[/quote]

Bad info! Last qtr not a starter on the floor for RV for about the first 6 min final score was 15-8 that qtr
Uhm it was a scrimmage lol
Sounds like some Southern Gallia County input, lol old jv coach must be bored lol

kidsarewhatmatters
Riding the Bench

Post by kidsarewhatmatters »

Blue_nd_Gray wrote:Played 6 - 10 minute periods. Athens won 5 of 6. RV won the 4th, 15-14.

But scrimmages are just that.
Other than the 1st and last qtrs the scrimmage was pretty competitive scores were really close if you look at scores in scrimmages?
2 pretty athletic teams playing defense and transitioning.
I think the Raiders get Aaron Harrison (ankle) and Derek Flint (back) healthy they will surprise some folks. Both tried to go but were not themselves.[/quote]

I heard the last quarter that rv didn't score for the first 9:30? Does that sound "athletic" or "transitioning"?[/quote]

Bad info! Last qtr not a starter on the floor for RV for about the first 6 min final score was 15-8 that qtr
Uhm it was a scrimmage lol
Sounds like some Southern Gallia County input, lol old jv coach must be bored lol[/quote]

Actually not bad info., starters were in and out except Harrison who had the ankle injury and RV totalled 5 points in final qtr. a 2 pointer with about 30 seconds left on clock and 35ft 3 pointer at the buzzer by Noble. Thank you very much... but wrong guy you are blaming none the less :)

GOINDIANS
Freshman Team

Post by GOINDIANS »

4th n goal. that schedule was for the girls preview. Valley was waiting to see if there football team won or not. They should have no problem hosting it now. Western plays at 9:00 versus south webster. Not sure rest of schedule.

Blue_nd_Gray
JV Team

Post by Blue_nd_Gray »

Kids sounds like u have a lot ofi nterest in rv basketball why did you change your location from crown city to point pleasant? Lol
Have a nice day

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

How did the Minford/Southern scrimmage go today ?

oldfalcon
Waterboy

Post by oldfalcon »

Minford easily beat Southern, they were up double digits after the first couple of quarters. Mcbee makes them a ton better and the post players look huge.

Minford JVs looked really good. I wouldnt be surprised if a couple of the JV guards were not playing varsity ball this year.

Dont know if Southern is any good, but the falcons looked good today. They should be better then they were last year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Scrimmage at Logan ... Marietta and Logan Elm ...

An early start today at 3:30pm ... good scrimmage opponents for the youngsters of Logan ... opponent #1 Coach Secrest's Tigers came in with both size and speed ...will push the ball in transition but prefers to play in the half court ... MHS has the ability to hit the 3 ball and get into the paint around the rim ... opponent #2 Logan Elm ... the Braves of Coach Stiverson came in doing what all LE TEAMS do - play D, get out in transition, attack the rim, lots of physical play on offense - picks (I know REAL picks on REAL players)... kick the ball out to the perimeter for the 3 ball ...communication at both ends of the floor ... this years edition of the Braves lacks varsity experience SO look for LE to improve with each game out this season ...

... Logan's Juniors looked more comfortable on the court this go around ... the Purple is finding perimeter threats in (sr) Luke Miller (a given) ... throw in Bird McNeal, Tristan Myers as 3 point scorers as well ... Myers used his big frame to get position in the paint, was able to get to the rim/finishing while hitting 4 threes on the night excellent scrimmage for TM ... add to the mix Vermillion (solid outing again), Mutzner (looked more comfortable offensively), McNeal (was able to put the ball on the floor/get to the rim/finish AND hit the three), Gaven Jourdan upped his value tonight - hustling on defense, getting the ball inside with penetration and the pass, showed he could score on the offensive end hitting the mid range shot) ... (sr) Ronnie Webb earned more PT with his performance (got good position inside, rebounded, made good interior passes, finished in the paint) ... Coach Helber's Chiefs will continue to get better with every varsity game this season ... should be an exciting season for the Logan faithful ...

Scores for all but the last matchup between Logan Elm and Marietta ... 10 minute quarters with a running clock , stopping for fouls/foul shots only ...

Marietta 14
Logan 20

Logan Elm 17
Marietta 8

Logan 16
Logan Elm 14

Marietta 5
Logan 17

Marietta 13
Logan Elm 14

Logan Elm 13
Logan 9

Logan 13
Marietta 9

Logan Elm ???
Marietta ???

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

lol ... Floyd ... You must have really, really missed the hoops action buddy!!!

Scrimmage breakdowns, scores, the whole works ... wow ... I bet Mrs. Floyd is just a shakin her head wondering what she got herself into years ago ... :mrgreen:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... 93dog - you know me... I can't just sit and watch LOL have to come up with some game observations, a few napkin stats ... how do the Bulldogs look? heard a few rumblings around that Athens has a few football injuries keeping players off the court, while key players may not be playing this season??????? any truth to the rumblings??? ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”