SE

Re: #2 Vinton County vs #7 Gallia Academy

Post by 91blue14 »

OMG :oops: CONGRATS TO VC :122246

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Just returned from the game. Vinton County looked very sluggish at times as they allowed Gallia to control the tempo, but made the majority of their free throws during crunch time. Played more their style towards the end of the third quarter when they began pressing Gallia and using their D like they displayed throughout the season. The big men need to shut off the lane and not allow teams to score easy buckets. It seemed to me that Gallia used the same play the majority of the time to score their points. Tighten up the D and get ready for Hillsboro next Friday night at the Convo.

Does anybody know anything about Hillsboro???

VC FAN
Waterboy

Post by VC FAN »

CONGRATULATIONS VIKINGS!

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

skidaddy wrote:Just returned from the game. Vinton County looked very sluggish at times as they allowed Gallia to control the tempo, but made the majority of their free throws during crunch time. Played more their style towards the end of the third quarter when they began pressing Gallia and using their D like they displayed throughout the season. The big men need to shut off the lane and not allow teams to score easy buckets. It seemed to me that Gallia used the same play the majority of the time to score their points. Tighten up the D and get ready for Hillsboro next Friday night at the Convo.

Ye they are very athletic and good.

ball hound
Freshman Team

Post by ball hound »

skidaddy wrote:Just returned from the game. Vinton County looked very sluggish at times as they allowed Gallia to control the tempo, but made the majority of their free throws during crunch time. Played more their style towards the end of the third quarter when they began pressing Gallia and using their D like they displayed throughout the season. The big men need to shut off the lane and not allow teams to score easy buckets. It seemed to me that Gallia used the same play the majority of the time to score their points. Tighten up the D and get ready for Hillsboro next Friday night at the Convo.

I agree VC looked plain flat! Seemed like they couldnt buy an outside shot all night (1 3pointer). This reminded me of the ZT game in a lot of ways. Anyway congrats to the Vikes on another sectional and get ready for Hillsboro!

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Thanks Bengalfan

Sounds like VC better get prepared because Gallia had quick guards and they moved around our big men without much effort. I did not see much enthusiasm from the inside tonight, except at the end of the game. This is where you have to say, how much do you want it??? One or done

Rumpus
Waterboy

Post by Rumpus »

Who knows? Hell they just won another sectional against Oz. Pick it apart any which way you want. They just win. Isn't that good enough?

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Congrats to Vinton County and Coach Combs! Great Job

Go Vikes!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Congrats to VC

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

This was a pretty good game but I disagree that the officials were just letting them play. I know two of these officials well and I thought they were not at there best for both teams. That being said good luck to VC the rest of the way and by the way what a great fan turn out for you guys. I was very dissapointed in the turn out for the Devils, I understood it a little bit when they played earlier in the week but for this to be a Saturday night game and have that small of a crowd was sad. I will not entertain any excuses of a bad economy because VC fans came out in force. Fair Weather fans is the only excuse but of course we are no different than any other team out there I guess I have always thought we as a community would support our team a little better. And to add a side note, to anyone who thinks coach OZ has no fire left in him than you have not watched all year and especially last night. Cant wait to see all of the talent Gallipolis will have next year take the court and some will have some varsity experience. GO BLUE

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

About the small turnout from Gallipolis...Don't forget it was just like a home game for Vinton County (about a 20-some mile jaunt.) It was a 72-mile trip from Gallipolis for the second time in four days.

When the sectionals or districts were held at Rio Grande, it was like a home game for GAHS and Blue Devil fans filled the gym, despite their won-lost record.

Don't forget, the Vinkings were 17-3 prior to the game and they have been up the past five years. GAHS was 7-14, and the Blue Devils have struggled the past three or four years.

Looks like Gallipolis has some good kids coming up up in a few years, but so does everybody else.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

oldschoolblue wrote:This was a pretty good game but I disagree that the officials were just letting them play. I know two of these officials well and I thought they were not at there best for both teams. That being said good luck to VC the rest of the way and by the way what a great fan turn out for you guys. I was very dissapointed in the turn out for the Devils, I understood it a little bit when they played earlier in the week but for this to be a Saturday night game and have that small of a crowd was sad. I will not entertain any excuses of a bad economy because VC fans came out in force. Fair Weather fans is the only excuse but of course we are no different than any other team out there I guess I have always thought we as a community would support our team a little better. And to add a side note, to anyone who thinks coach OZ has no fire left in him than you have not watched all year and especially last night. Cant wait to see all of the talent Gallipolis will have next year take the court and some will have some varsity experience. GO BLUE

In all fairness to your fan base, its a much further trip from Gallipolis than it was for us here in Vinton County.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

gahs4ever wrote:
This was a pretty good game but I disagree that the officials were just letting them play.

I made my remarks about the officials comparing them to the crew we had last Wednesday in the New Lex game. Every little contact was called and both teams were in the double bonus.

Last night they only called 6 total fouls in the entire first half on both teams, and I dont know if VC ever put us in the one and one.

RE: The disparity in attendance: there seems to be many small communities that seem to shut down altogether every late Feb-early March. Some of these include Vinton County, North Adams, Greenfield, Wheelersburg, Chesapeake, and Ironton. It seems like they bring more people than actually live in those communities EVERY YEAR, and when they get to the Convo, they take up entire quadrants of the arena.

In Vinton Countys case, we are not that far away from Logan or the Convo, plus virtually the whole county backs the basketball programs, starting with the little kids all the way up to varsity.

Return to “Boys Basketball”