Portsmouth West Senator Basketball

fromtheparkinglot
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth West Senator Basketball

Post by fromtheparkinglot »

Coach93...

I dont think anyone has given up on Coach Smith. My question would be has Coach Smith given up pn the westside? This man was dealt an impossible hand and handled it with class. The westside was dealt a good coach and treated him and his family horribly.

fanatic23
Freshman Team

Post by fanatic23 »

I don't feel a bit sorry for coach smith when you have special treatment for certain players it's going to get ugly,for a guy not to sit on the bench of a j.v. game and sit in the stands and him and the varsity players yell at the refs what kind of example is that setting.Then to top it all off just about every game someone getting a technical.I think it's time we get someone in there who doesn't care who he makes mad and does things to biuld a program.People don't understand one person can't do it, it takes everyone to be on the same page just like our football program. If people want things to change they need to help change them. It's about time people start pushing thier kids to get better and to go outside and play a game of H_O_R_S_E with them and try your hardest not to let them win.Just because a kid dominates pee-wee or makes the all-star team doesn't mean he's good enough to make the high school team.Remember as long as you can run fast or are as big as a horse you can be a football player but to be a basketball player you have to practice every day.So for everyone that always asks the question "How can we have just as good of athletes as everyone else and not win at basketball?" there it is anyone that is athletic can be a good football player.So what i'm saying is put an athlete and a basketball player at the foul line to see who could make the most out of ten and who would you put your money on.Very few parents see this and what to blame coaches when they should be blaming thierselves for not making thier kid pick up a basketball in the offseason.It doesn't matter what offense you run when you have kids that can't dribble,pass,and shoot your not going to score.

sider
All Conference

Post by sider »

Black@Orange wrote:I think that Coach Smith got better as the year went on. He lost alot of players along the way. But he also ran off some bad atitudes. We did'nt sub 5 players at a time, we stopped pressing so much. Is it to little, to late? Would we be better off with a new coach, or a coach with another year of experience under his belt? Offense needs to take better shots, no Globetrotter layups, no NBA 3's. I know that Coach Smith wants a fast game, but we don't have the players for that style. I say give the guy at least another year. The seniors this year have had 3 basketball coaches, 3 baseball coaches, and 2 football coaches. That is rediculous. Can we count on our board to hire someone better? I don't think so. If Coach Kitchen is so good. Why did we let him go? Why was he available last year mid season? What really happend at Green? I'm not saying Coach Kitchen is a bad coach. He done a nice job last year. And seemed like a really nice person. Most of the parents yelling for Coach Kitchen have already made their kids quit. Would it be the same next year if their kid does'nt play enough, or start, or is playing jv instead of varsity? Should they be allowed back? I know alot of kids was told to quit by their parents. So thats a touchy situation. But I would like congradulate the players who stayed, and worked their butts off, to represent West the best they could. The players we have coming back got some valuable varsity time. We scored enough to win alot of our ballgames. With the athletes we have our defense should get better with experience. Some players went from 8th grade, or freshman ball, right to varisty. With all the kids that quit, they was'nt able to mature. Thur freshman ball then jv ball then varsity ball. I think that we all could learn a valuable lesson from Mr. Smith (Coach Smith's dad). I know alot of remarks was said directly to him, or for him to hear. But he did'nt stoop down to some stupid parents levels. He was there to support his son and his team. I know I'm going on and on. So good luck to the players. Good luck to Coach Smith, and Coach Kitchen, wherever you may be next year.

The reason he was available mid-season last season is because he had quit coaching basketball. He was a long-time assistant at Ironton, and Coach Triplett had ties to him, and talked him into coming to West. The reason he didn't stay at West was because he was not offered a teaching job, however he was offered a chance to sub every day he wasn't interested in that so he moved on. Not trying to spread rumors, but I hear he is interested in coming back, but thats just what I heard.

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

It's tough to beat "The Click" on the West side. I would love to see coach Kitchen back at West, and I would also liked to have seen a good man been given a chance with some talent to coach the Jr. high. Coaches Hurd, and Davis have done a good job with the boys, but Roger Compton took the job back a few years ago when there was NO talent, but still paid his dues, only to be cast aside like a sandwich wrapper. He is a life long West sider, who deserved a chance to work with the better talent that came through the past couple years, and I know it still hurts him not to have been given a turn at running that part of the program. I will say though that he has been welcomed at Clay, and we love him dearly for not only his coaching, but also his leadership role in our children's lives. He has taken a team of boys that NEVER won, to getting not only a win, but a winning attitude. Maybe some day you all will realize some of the people (like Roger) that you have but aren't fully aware of what they mean to you, and your kids. Until then, it will probably be the same old, same old.

Rookie22
Waterboy

Post by Rookie22 »

Your post is VERY hypocritical Fanatic 23...you begin by blaming Coach Smith and then at the end say, and I quote, "Very few parents see this and what to blame coaches, when they should be blaming theirselves..." I'm not even sure I understand your point...anyone that's athletic can be a football player?? What?! I can't say I'm surprised though, I wondered when the negative guy would appear in this thread. Back to the positives: Kudos to Coach Smith for rising above the chaos of West Side Basketball this year, kudos to the men that stuck it out with him, kudos to the parents that went home with their kids and refused to disrespect Coach Smith, and kudos to fans like Cameron for bleeding orange and black in the winter months!

fanatic23
Freshman Team

Post by fanatic23 »

Rookie22 wrote:Your post is VERY hypocritical Fanatic 23...you begin by blaming Coach Smith and then at the end say, and I quote, "Very few parents see this and what to blame coaches, when they should be blaming theirselves..." I'm not even sure I understand your point...anyone that's athletic can be a football player?? What?! I can't say I'm surprised though, I wondered when the negative guy would appear in this thread. Back to the positives: Kudos to Coach Smith for rising above the chaos of West Side Basketball this year, kudos to the men that stuck it out with him, kudos to the parents that went home with their kids and refused to disrespect Coach Smith, and kudos to fans like Cameron for bleeding orange and black in the winter months!

I am blaming coach smith for the discipline problems that he had all year long not for our record . Parents think that kids can become all stars at practice and not have to pick up a ball until basketball season thats what im blaming the parents for. My point on being athletic is that you don't really have to practice blocking or running with a ball and trying not to get tackled as long as your big or fast you should be good. I'm not trying to be negative but when you say kudos to a guy that caused most of the chaos because of his lack of discipline thats funny. I think he messed up when he let some kids quit then begged certain kids to come back. The kids have no respect for him as a coach and it will be hard for him to get that turned around.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Kudo's Cameron34Crazie34! Just keep going and pulling for your team. You NEVER know what the future holds.
The thought of South Webster winning a State title in Basketball was a pipe dream to me. I saw the odds of the Jeeps ever winning a State title as good as my chances of stepping on the moon.
Well...
The moon is next. :-D

So just keep supporting and never say never!

playa_44
JV Team

Post by playa_44 »

West had alot of talent on their basketball team (even after a bunch quit) and couldn't beat teams that should have been easy to beat.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

playa_44, I think that you are correct that we still had talent at the end of the year. And better attitudes. We was just lacking depth. If we had a player in foul trouble, or a player not having a good night, there was'nt a whole lot we could do about it. Look at our bench against Peebles. Not exactly varsity material. Not trying to disrespect anyboby. But we only had 2 subs.

fanatic23
Freshman Team

Post by fanatic23 »

playa_44 wrote:West had alot of talent on their basketball team (even after a bunch quit) and couldn't beat teams that should have been easy to beat.

You people don't understand there might have been talent(Alfie) but the rest were athletes .You have got to know a little bit about the game so you can have a basketball I.Q. and it comes with playing.There are a few underclassmen that could be good but time will tell. They need to stay in the gym all summer working on thier game because west is so far behind it's unreal.In basketball you have to think on the run and thats what kills west by not being in situations like that untill the season has started.Even though west is becoming a football powerhouse kids need to realize football at west is not all that matters. Don't get me wrong I love football but being competitive in all sports would be nice. If the boys would work as hard at basketball as they do for football they could compete.Coach T has alot to do with the way they work for football becuse the kids respect him and don't want to let him or the community down.Untill west gets a basketball coach that the boys don't want to let down it will be hard to start a winning tradition.

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

I don't have a dog in this fight but i'm about sick of hearing
who did what or other garbage that happened this year in the west program.it comes down to what i have said on other posts until the parents let the coaches do there thing like COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the Admin.and board run the school and parents be fan and back there kids and coaches it will always be musical chairs.And as far as kitchen comeing back that would be a dumb move sorry but he quit on agood basketball tradtion like green what happens if it goes sour over at west your back to sqaure one. i think you let admin decided whats best for West Basketball and this no disrespect to anyone on this thred :12224

Operator
Riding the Bench

Post by Operator »

Coach93. As far as I know the job at West isn't even open. You also need to get your facts straight about Kitchen leaving Green

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

Let's not let this become a Kitchen vs Green thread. Operator I agree that nobody has said the job is open. But it is hard to ignore the rumours. Does anybody know when a decision would likely be made? Not many school board members make basketball games. I seen Phillips at some early, and maybe Berry at one or two.

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

Rookie22 wrote:and kudos to fans like Cameron for bleeding orange and black in the winter months!

Thanks, for the people who might know who I am. I bet you can ask someone and they can tell you that I am one of few fans that come to every game and I will continue to go to every game. I love watching football on the West Side, but I must say I bleed Orange and Black more when it comes to the hardwood. I'm telling all you West fans, I'm going to be one of the few that stick with all these bad seasons but when them Great Seasons come along I will feel better than any other fan in the stands!

sidersports
Waterboy

Post by sidersports »

we do have alot of talent coming back and the junior high teams were real competive this year. the thing i dont understand is that coach smith is still the coach he hasnt quit or been fired and he didnt quit or resign when the going got tough in the middle of the year he kept working and plugging away. if he resigns or not hired back why in the world would you guys want a guy to be our coach when he quit or resign in the middle of the seasons for whatever the reasons thats not setting a good example by doing that when you start something

Return to “Boys Basketball”