Portsmouth Basketball 2009-10

rockfish
Riding the Bench

Portsmouth Basketball 2009-10

Post by rockfish »

I wonder who will be coaching the Trojans next season?

gymratt
Freshman Team

Re: Portsmouth Basketball 2009-10

Post by gymratt »

I hate to say this because, although I am a Chillicothe Fan, I root for our down south rivals, but untill Portsmouth gets a coach that knows that a ball is round and it goes in the hole, they will be in the same boat Chillicothe was in throughout the 90's and the first half of the 2000's. They will, IMO, continue to be one of the most talented teams in SE Ohio and have sub 500 records just as Chilli was for years. I really hope that you guys get a great coach and build a power. Replace Zanesville as the other power in the SEOAL and perhaps in a few years the SEOAL can win a state title in two divisions. :). You have the talent and support to be THAT good. Just need the coaching.

Who all returns for the Trojans next year?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

? did coach shoe resign ?

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

????????

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

No He did not resign.Seems as if it's your yearly attempt to stir up contreversy.
I know the Minford job is open,but to the best of my knowledge Coach Shoemaker has not applied.

TrojanDave will know.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Did Portsmouth really have that bad of a season? They are the smallest school in the SEOAL and played a TOUGH North Adams team closely. Had they been in a different conference (i.e SOC II), they'd been about 16-4 and STILL playing in the tourney (and you'd probably be arguing for Coach Shoemaker as being Coach of the Year). It's all relative.

Coaches can only do so much...if the kids don't want to buy in to a team concept, they lose. If they play together and work hard, they can play with anyone. Good luck to the Trojans and Coach Shoemaker next season. The talent and coaching is there...time for everybody to get on the same page.

It all starts in the summer. The distractions last summer (transfer speculation) didn't help anything, so hopefully none of that will be a factor this summer.*

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

Some times it seems like Portsmouth plays great one night then the next game they don't even look like they even try

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

Tobias wrote:
claypantherfan wrote:Some times it seems like Portsmouth plays great one night then the next game they don't even look like they even try

Inconsistency was definitely a problem with the 2008-2009 team...

yeah it was and it showed

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

watch Clay.

they was consistant.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

...so what is your solution to fixing the problem of inconsistent play?[/quote][/quote]

it isnt the coach it is the players just like a lot of teams problems

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

About the 2009-2010 Portsmouth Trojans:

1. Will have to replace 6 seniors, including standout forward Anthony Williams, and other starters Jacob Stevens and Zack Link........

2. JV team was 2-17 last year.........and had a number of juniors playing.......

3. The SEOAL schedule will be double round robin next year........no Day of Champions......we will play everybody twice........and that includes Logan, Warren, and Marietta in addition to the South schools........we are coming off a 3-10 league record.

4. We will seriously lack size on the front line next season, with Williams and Link having graduated.........

5. As far as the coaching situation, I personally turned in a letter to the Superintendent's office endorsing Coach Shoemaker to be back........whether he will be back, I am not certain........I have heard some things.......but will not comment any further.........

Right now, I think it will be a difficult year for the Trojans..........normally I am optimistic, but I just don't feel that way about next season.........I hope I'm wrong........one thing I am looking for in 2009-2010 is for our kids to come out and play hard every game!!!........something that was lacking this past season........in the tournament we saw what we were capable of!!!

GO TROJANS!!!

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

oldtrojan wrote:No He did not resign.Seems as if it's your yearly attempt to stir up contreversy.
I know the Minford job is open,but to the best of my knowledge Coach Shoemaker has not applied.

TrojanDave will know.

I was questioning the original poster --not trying to stir up anything .

I'd say next years team could be a fun , very up tempo pressing type, 4 guard type team. Should be very very fast . Good, experienced, guard play should lead to lots of W's. But I also picked them to win 16-18 games this year. So don't go by my picks. Hopefully they have a great year.

3sportSeason
Waterboy

Post by 3sportSeason »

it dont matter who dey get aint nobody gonna be happy down in Portsmouth untel they get a state champ again. Shoemaker got out the right time

rockfish
Riding the Bench

Post by rockfish »

ManitouDan wrote:

I was questioning the original poster --not trying to stir up anything .

Shouldn't you be concerned with Notre Dame ? They have a basketball team you know.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

this thread is confusing --3 posters, rockfish , gymmrat, and 3 sportseason have insinuated Shoemaker has left -- , are they just thinking because portsmouth had a dissappointing year he won't be back ?

rockfish --I've played hoops with a couple of the portsmouth players since they were 7th graders --nice young men , went to church with another ---I like them , they seem like great kids --- thus the interest in their HS career Cool ? --FWIW - I comment plenty on ND threads giving game scores and updates , in all sports , gals and guys both. Maybe you don't read ND threads .

rockfish
Riding the Bench

Post by rockfish »

Yes I read the Notre Dame threads and I know my place and do not comment or try to make mountians out of mole hills.

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

MD
always seems to be starting something on here someplace or another.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

boys I didn't start anything ---3 guys , none of which are me , are questioning who the coach is going to be at PHS next year -

Trojan Dave's post says he supports coach Shoemaker , leading me to assume he is still there --so why jump on me --I was just asking why the talk about a new coach when the current coach is still there ???

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

art_vandelay said:
"Had they been in a different conference (i.e SOC II), they'd been about 16-4 and STILL playing in the tourney"

art,
changing conferences would not have changed the tournament game against North Adams. It doesn't matter what conference you play in or if you're in a conference at all when it comes tournament time. All that matters is what division in you're in. I would argue playing a tougher regular season schedule as they did prepared them more for the tournament. Maybe that's why they played North Adams so close.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

tigers2010onhuddle wrote:art_vandelay said:
"Had they been in a different conference (i.e SOC II), they'd been about 16-4 and STILL playing in the tourney"

art,
changing conferences would not have changed the tournament game against North Adams. It doesn't matter what conference you play in or if you're in a conference at all when it comes tournament time. All that matters is what division in you're in. I would argue playing a tougher regular season schedule as they did prepared them more for the tournament. Maybe that's why they played North Adams so close.

Actually, perhaps if they played in a different conference they would have entered the draw with a better record. Hence, not getting the 9 seed, hence not playing North Adams as early.

(I love over-using the word "hence") :-D :-D :-D

Return to “Boys Basketball”