Varsity

Re: 12/10 Waterford at Pourtsmouth

Post by mrwonderful »

Portsmouth for real!

Lovebball42
Freshman Team

Post by Lovebball42 »

Waterford looked a little rusty to me, will get better having Huffman, Lang and Harris back since they didn't play yesterday

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Losing by three without Huffman & Lang is impressive, imo. The Wildcats will be there in March. It will come down to whether or not they can beat Prep or Africentric, just like trimble the last two years.

Lovebball42
Freshman Team

Post by Lovebball42 »

Was up by 11 by eleven at halftime, offense stagnent in the 2nd half

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

93Bulldog wrote:Losing by three without Huffman & Lang is impressive, imo. The Wildcats will be there in March. It will come down to whether or not they can beat Prep or Africentric, just like trimble the last two years.
so a loss now is impressive? you dont set the bar very high do ya? lmao ,Portsmouth lost their stud last year with a couple other starters and not a great team ,no where close to what they have been for last few years, and this was their first game of season and still dont know their starting rotation yet they fought tooth and nail to hang in this game and give them a chance in the second half to pull this one out and they did just that ,and as for the offensive let down in second half ? if you was at the game you seen what that was the troijan defense played a very very agressive d in the second half whether you want to give the trojans any credit at all is up to you,but i think the 3 point WIN was way more impressive then the 3 point LOSS. :roll:

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Did one of the D4 district brackets get cancelled , and Waterford is automatically in the regionals, I see where they r already matched up against prep or africentric. Just kidding of course, but I think it's a bit premature to already have them in the regionals, there are some good D4 teams this year and some exceptional coaches of those teams . Waterford may b the favorites, but anything can happen in march.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Two teams make it to regionals out of D4. Given how well waterford played in last years districts, I think they can be considered one of the favorites with every single player back.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Waterford should have never, ever lost that game. They were the superior team by a landslide, but looked like an elementary team when Portsmouth pressed second half.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

I thought Portsmouth coach made some good adjustments at halftime, no one gives this guy much credit but check his record while at PHS he finds a way to win games. when he figures out his starting 5 and 6 they will be alright. they have played in march a few times also.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

93 bulldog,
I was just messin with u, I agree Waterford is prolly the favorites , but like I said there are a few good teams in D4 that are more than capable of knocking off waterford in the districts
Just saying I wouldn't crown them district champs just yet, how many people thought western Pike would win the district title last year. Anything can happen in march.

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

He only has eyes for the mighty TVC :lol:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I was at the game ... Waterford was without Huffman and Lang which forced a shorter bench for Waterford for sure BUT let's mot take anything away from the Trojans - Coach Collins & Co, played an excellent 1st game ... Waterford had the "lucky" corner in the first half of action as the drained 5 treys from deep in the left corner - PHS wasn't getting out on the 3 point shooters for WHS - for WHS almost every player wearing the green & white can shoot the 3-ball ... Waterford earned the 11 point advantage at intermission 32-21 WHS ... Portsmouth came out with energy and their D-shoes on ... PHS held Waterford scoreless the until the 1:24 mark of the 3rd quarter - in your face defense forced 9 Waterford turnovers in the 3rd alone and only 6 points - zero 3's ... the 4th was much the same as Waterford could only muster 6 more points in the 4th as PHS's Kendall Reynolds took over the scoring with 9 points in the final qtr. ... I give the "W" to the PHS defense forcing 17 second half turnovers ...

Waterford will be fine ... they ARE the odds on favorite to be in district play at the Convo and get to regional action - they ARE that talented when at full strength ...

... I was impressed with the returning BIG from Eastern Pike Gabe Gambill - he WILL be a difference maker in the paint as the season moves along ... works hard on the defensive end to keep penetration down and disrupt shots on the block ... Reese Johnson will have a good year ... PHS was 6/21 from behind the arc - that will improve ... Coach Collins has 6 quality players to go to - PHS WILL make noise in the OVC and be a tough out in the post season...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Trojans and Coach Collins/staff on the first game win.......as I told Eugene after the game, his decision to press was the difference in the game.......32 points by Waterford in the first half, only 12 after halftime.......that was the reason PHS won. There's still a lot of room for improvement for Portsmouth, and I think that the perimeter shooting will improve as time goes. That was a strength of the team going into the season. Gabe Gambill, Ty Oliver, Daniel Jordan, and Collin Boehm gave some good minutes off the bench. Really proud of the way the Trojans scrapped their way back into the game being down a dozen at the half.

Waterford has a nice mix of inside/outside play and should be one of the favorites for the D4 regional, though that field is stacked with SOC I being so good this year.

pfloyd: Great to see you at the game, and hope you enjoyed your time at the "Home of the Trojans". Your summary of the game is spot on.

noitall: You made some excellent points. Life after Kyre Allison, all time scorer at PHS and a 4 year starter, is requiring an adjustment by Coach Collins to find what rotation works best, especially off the bench......and sometimes first games don't really tell us that much about a team because PHS will improve as does about everybody else.

GO TROJANS!!!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Topic has been cleaned up. Now stay on the topic.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

I Can go on every thread on here and point out " off topic" post.

Portsmouth will get better as the years goes on just like trojandave said.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave ... biggdowgg - great seeing you guys ! -one of the negatives when PHS left the SEOAL is not getting to see you guys in the Portsmouth contingent ... I've known you long enough to call you all friends ... great talking hoops with you in the Cheap Seats ... the offer is always on the table - if the Portsmouth crew make your way to Logan - Pizza Crossing is on me ...

... I will catch Portsmouth again for sure a little later in the season - when the 3's start falling to go with the "in-your-defense" the Trojans will be a handful ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote:trojandave ... biggdowgg - great seeing you guys ! -one of the negatives when PHS left the SEOAL is not getting to see you guys in the Portsmouth contingent ... I've known you long enough to call you all friends ... great talking hoops with you in the Cheap Seats ... the offer is always on the table - if the Portsmouth crew make your way to Logan - Pizza Crossing is on me ...

... I will catch Portsmouth again for sure a little later in the season - when the 3's start falling to go with the "in-your-defense" the Trojans will be a handful ...

Love Biggdowgg & Trojandave!

Easily in my 'Elite 8' of 'huddlers/prepsters' ... lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

93Bulldog's Elite 8 of posters ...

1. Biggdowgg
2. pfloyd
3. Logan locos
4. Ironman02
5. Trojandave