Ports. West coach resigns

fromtheparkinglot
Waterboy

Ports. West coach resigns

Post by fromtheparkinglot »

Have heard through the grapevine that Coach Smith has decided it best to resign....parents win again

SENDEM
All Conference

Re: Ports. West coach resigns

Post by SENDEM »

Wounder who is the front runner for the Job? I got a good IDEA!!

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

Anything official yet? At the adwards banquet he was excited about next year.

THE CORDIAL ONE
Waterboy

Post by THE CORDIAL ONE »

Can you cordiallly say Charlie Kitchen?

fanatic23
Freshman Team

Post by fanatic23 »

i would like to see Travis Bradford apply he is by far the best young coach out there if he could leave east.

WTIGER 80
Freshman Team

Post by WTIGER 80 »

West is really tough on coaches wow how long was the guy there.

sidersports
Waterboy

Post by sidersports »

really enjoy the coaching of coach phillips this year would like to see him take over

TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

Post by TheSportsGuy »

sidersports wrote:really enjoy the coaching of coach phillips this year would like to see him take over
Are you serious????? :122246 :122246 :122246

You must have completely missed the last 10 years or so. West will look OUTSIDE the program because they are in need of someone with experience and past success. Right now they don't have anyone who fits that mold close by. Someone who has a good track record and will demand respect from day one is the only way that basketball program will get better. They don't need to take another step back.

----
Freshman Team

Post by ---- »

I may offend lots of people when I say this and it's not directed towards all of West Portsmouth but the majority that ruin it for others. The problem with PWHS is that they are so conceited with themselves that they think if your not one them than your worthless. They are not open minded enough to take in other people or "outsiders" opinions. My experience (10+ yrs) with the people of the "West Side" is that if they are not making others miserable then they are not happy. It is a constant contest to see who can stick out their chest the furthest.

Until this pattern changes, West will suffer.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

Yes. I am offended, you say not directed to all, but you say the majority. The Westside can be called alot of things, but conceited is not one of them. I would say that the majority of the county considers us poor white trash, or trailer trash. That might make us a little aggessive, or maybe cocky. But not vain or concieted. And I noticed your not letting no one know who you are. Some parents might need some work. But if you would have to live with our Queen Bee and her court, you would be frustrated too. Absoutly no board support. We just let one of the best softball coaches in the state go. You say that we don't care to look outside the box. Coach Tripplet, Coach Sammons, Coach Gibson, and Coach Kitchen. None are from the Westside. Coach Smith will leave with a bad reputation in Ohio. But the parents who truely support their team. Know that summer ball was basically underclassman. Attendance for practice during the season was poor. Attitudes by a few ruined alot of practice time for the others. Then when playing time was not giving to the players in question, Mommy, and Daddy have to step in. It's hard to build a program in one year. But I guess we'll try it again next year.

West never loses, we might get cheated, but we never lose!

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

I hate to hear that...Good luck in finding a coach and best of luck Portsmouth West...I will be watching.

SSU Grad
Riding the Bench

Post by SSU Grad »

I don't think that the Super is to blame for the bad attitudes of the parents and the kids. This problem goes much deeper than that. Maybe some these troubled parents are frustrated with their pathetic existance or lack of a fullfilling career, I don't know. I do know that they always seemed to be upset about something.
We often have parents run for the School Board. Many do not do this for the good of the community, but because they have a vendeta against someone or they want to protect someones job.
I have personally witnessed some of these parents cheer the failure of other student/athletes from West because they were playing ahead of their lil' johnny on the depth chart. There is no sense of team in these parents ,its all about their kid only and this attitude rubs of onto the kids.

This whole situation is an embarrassment to the community. It has become obvious that nothing is going to change. The district has given in to the parents once again.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

I'm not saying that the Super, and her court, are the only ones to blame. Everybody is responsible for his or her own actions. But, if they would put more effort into hireing, good quality coaches. It would help. Sometimes you have to search, not just whoever applies. They could offer substitution jobs, to teacher-coaches, until something opens up.Then support the programs.
When you won't let the jr high baseball team practice on the high school field.
When you will let the 8th grade team play games on the field, but not the 7th grade. When you let other schools tailgate, but you try to stop your own fans.
When you make the pee wee hire a sheriff all day.
Kids can't even hang a sign up in the gym.
No voluntary practice on sunday.
Pep rallies are almost non-existant.
We could go on and on. Thats not very good support.
Hire a good quality coach, give them support, and a chance to put a program in place. Then the rest will take care of its self.
Last edited by Black@Orange on Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSU Grad
Riding the Bench

Post by SSU Grad »

I agree, the district has done an outstanding job of alienating the community. Getting into a school to talk to your childs teacher requires a security clearance similar to the A-plant. They don't trust the community......
The students are not encouraged to show school spirit. The gym is the most boring, plain, and dull place I have ever seen. I thought that a little more thought would have gone into the design of all of the athletic facilities. The baseball and softball fields are the worst in the county as far as trying to watch a game (Poor seating and bad sight lines). The track was put in backwards. I could go on and on.

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

I am the biggest West basketball fan and most loyal to the bball program fan out there. But this is sad to hear that Coach Smith resigned. He was a great guy but the kids didnt want to part of him, and thats ashame. I hope we can hire someone out of the district to come down and make our program something. We need a coach to come and put the slammer down and make this kids fear them and dont let the parents control the show, YES I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS THE PARENTS TRY TO RUN THE SHOW DOWN THERE!!! I would love to see Travis Bradford come down and take over our program. He is a graduate of West High School. I hope things go well and hopefully the program is turned around in the near future and we can start continding for SOC championships!!

GO WEST SIDER BASKETBALL!!!

I will be there every game next year even if we go 0-21!

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

Coach Smith, made it thru the hardest part, the first year. Not easily, but he made it.
I think that he was more patient, in most cases than what he should have been. Some parents and players should be carefull what they wish for. If we get a coach like we need, someone to put the "slammer down". The same parents and same players will be in the same situation. I don't think that the players really disliked Coach Smith, they just feed of some of the negativity of the parents. Coach Bradford would be a blessing. I would guess that he would also need a teaching job.
That puts us back to the Queen and her court. It should not be that hard to get someone to come and coach his alamater. Plus go from soc1 to soc2. How often do you see board members, at sporting events, besides football?

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

Well this is sad new's i been out of the loop for a few week's .Sorry to hear that Coach Smith resigned it's a shame that it happened but i see the parents won another round . I hope who ever comes in and takes this program makes it clear to everyone that this is his program and it will be ran by him and his coaches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. And i hope the Board and the Admin . Back him and his coaches . And i really don't care if this post upset anyone it's just unbeliveable that there is such a coaching carousal not only here but at South Webster Green . I think the list goes on and on . But in saying this good luck to all of Portsmouth west sports teams in the future and good luck to Coach Smith and his staff were ever they may go. I'm sure we will see Coach Smith again :12224 :12224 :12224 :12224

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Kitchen, Bradford, or Jason Hurd would be good candidates. Personally I would like to see Kitchen get the job. He has a good relationship with Tripplett, who already has the respect of the players and runs a great conditioning program. Football is first at West, and for a B-ball coach to succeed he must work his program hand-in-hand with the football program. We've had discussions on here before about the lack of support from the school board. I wouldn't look for anything to change until someone retires. If Kitchen applies they will probably not give him a teaching position like before or they'll use the stuff at Green against him.

----
Freshman Team

Post by ---- »

I hope they find someone great and do great things as well, im just saying it's very hard when the parents and students have such a rotten attitude.... It's a way of life in West Portsmouth. I will say the board seems a little distant, but pep rallies dont win you games.... You need dedicated players and parents...

SSU Grad
Riding the Bench

Post by SSU Grad »

Siderman
I would agree on 2 out of the 3 you mentioned. I feel that an effective coach must first and foremost be a good role model.

Return to “Boys Basketball”