Ports. West coach resigns

Westfan
SEOP

Re: Ports. West coach resigns

Post by Westfan »

BuckeyeFan66 wrote:
siderman wrote:They did say that he could sub and that their was a big need for that. Any other school would have manufactured something, but our board doesn't car about sports.

Schools don't have the money to "manufacture " something. Most of the Southern Ohio schools are in financial trouble. You can't "manufacture" a job for a head coach in this economy.

true, but this was a year ago, and the economy hadn't hit the big downturn yet. The problem with West is that the school board as a whole (a couple guys aren't) basic opinion, or the way that they make it appear, is that sports aren't important. They had a guy who wanted the job. One that had did them a favor and took over a bad situation and did a good job. All they had to do was make him feel wanted and give him some assurances going forward, like future openings.

THE'GENERAL'
Freshman Team

Post by THE'GENERAL' »

i feel we need look elswhere, he might be a great guy but you cant think a guy having trouble at green(good basketball school)would excel here at west, he had a good time because the football coach was appointed the head coach and was by his side all the way.

Interested In All
Riding the Bench

Post by Interested In All »

General..... Please explain why having Coach Triplett on the bench made Kitchen successful. Kitchen had the respect of the kids. Coach Triplett was very seldom at practice and there were no problems. I know you have your picks for the job which is fine, but don't down grade someone because of that. I'm sure you are from West so ask the kids about their feelings about him. I'm sure you will find that last years seniors and the ones that played this year was glad he was there last year also.

southernohiofan
JV Team

Post by southernohiofan »

eli was a great athlete and played all sports very well, would he or is he interested in coaching basketball along with football

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Post by Sawdust »

General..... Please explain why having Coach Triplett on the bench made Kitchen successful. Kitchen had the respect of the kids. Coach Triplett was very seldom at practice and there were no problems. I know you have your picks for the job which is fine, but don't down grade someone because of that. I'm sure you are from West so ask the kids about their feelings about him. I'm sure you will find that last years seniors and the ones that played this year was glad he was there last year also.

That's easy. Triplett kept the F-ball players in line because Triplett has the respect of the kids. Kitchen did not, contrary to what you believe. I've talked to some of those players and it was the feeling of not letting down their F-ball coach as the reason why they stuck together. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with Charlie, he was just a band-aid to their wounds 'til the end of the season. Then he pulled the same trick as Gibson did the next year on the good people of the Furnace. His coaching career is finished.

Interested In All
Riding the Bench

Sawdust wrote:

That's easy. Triplett kept the F-ball players in line because Triplett has the respect of the kids. Kitchen did not, contrary to what you believe. I've talked to some of those players and it was the feeling of not letting down their F-ball coach as the reason why they stuck together. It had absolutely NOTHING to do with Charlie, he was just a band-aid to their wounds 'til the end of the season. Then he pulled the same trick as Gibson did the next year on the good people of the Furnace. His coaching career is finished.

WOW Sawdust.Its amazing how knowledgable you are about what went on at West. From the kids that played for Kitchen at West there was only one starter that played football which was Bricker.The rest that played a major role on that team were not football players.You can have your beef with Kitchen if you want thats fine, but you have your facts WRONG about West. You need to concentrate on finding someone that will take your Green job. A bandaid is all you will find to take that job with the way things are done and handled there. I doubt Charlie is finished coaching.Gues you will have to stay tuned in and see

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

You know what guys? West players will respect any coach they have leading them. Our kids are just as coachable and respective, as any other kids. All schools have some attitude problems. All schools have good parents, and all schools have not so good parents. Most schools have basically the same pee-wee programs. I've sat here , and in the gym, and listened to people. And you Know what? Every coach that we've had, or has been mentioned as our next coach, has more basketball knowledge than the majority of us. We need to step back and give somebody a chance.
If not for some parents having their pride hurt, Coach Smith would still be there. I'm
not saying that Coach Smith was the next John Wooden. But very few coaches win a league title or a bunch of games their first year. I know of nobody from Scioto County playing in the NBA. There is not many kids getting free rides. So it should be about having fun, not who starts or how many points Johnny scored. I've seen kids forced to quit over and over this year. Parents need to respect any coach we have
if front of their kids. Let your kids make up their own minds. If it is so bad that they
want to quit they will quit. You won't have to talk them into it.
I know that athletic kids don't make a basketball team. But athletic kids, good coaching and good support will make us respectable. And right now I think everybody from West would be happy with respect.

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

Well said black@orange well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :12224 :12224

southernohiofan
JV Team

i agree parents need to let their kids be coached by someone else and the players need to be coachable and remember that basketball is a team sport and its not all about me. i have noticed that the school has open this up yet for applications are they just going to take the last man standing after all the other schools take their pick

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

All quiet on the WESTern front? Any news, or rumors?

southernohiofan
JV Team

I think we are missing the point here!! The point is when these incidents happen, 99% of the time there is discipline from the coach or administration. However, in West it seems to go unnoticed and undisciplined. And when a coach does try and lay down discipline the parents go on an outrage and the administration buckles and gets rid of the coach. What message does this send? Coach Schuler would never tolerate players disrespecting the game or other players and when they do they will pay the consequence. He would probably even talk to the parents about their behavior and it would stop. At West, I don't see this happening.
Our society today sucks!! Too many parents crying around about their child not getting playing time, not getting a fair chance, and being disciplined when they mess up. Too much blame is being placed on others instead of looking in the mirror. And to top that off, school officials are buckeling to the pressure and forcing good coaches out!!!
Remember whoever the new coach is let them coach

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

Who all has applied?

Hurd?

We need to get this thing booked up. Gym time is now.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

Have they named a head coach yet? They are getting into open gym time....this is where your teams are made.

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

I heard a new Coach will be hired by the end of May or sometime in June this is just hear say mind you. :12224 :12224

southernohiofan
JV Team

going to be making the hire a month late (jmo)

sidersports
Waterboy

Post by sidersports »

we would like to be shooting on the gun and playing some ball can we get a coach.

southernohiofan
JV Team

anything new in west portsmouth? who has applied?

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

I HEARD THAT THE SCHOOL BOARD IS ONLY GOING TO LOOK AT PEOPLE WHO HAVE TEACHING DEGREE'S .THIS IS JUST HEAR SAY . BUT IF THIS IS TRUE I WONDER IF THEY WILL OFFER THE NEW COACH A TEACHING POSTION ? BUT THIS IS ONLY HEAR SAY . I HOPE THEY MAKE A MOVE SOON FOR THE WEST KID'S SAKE. I THINK TYSON PHILLPS DESERVE A SHOT AT IT . JUST MY THOUGHT NOT TO MAKE FOLKS MAD ..... :12224 :12224 :12224 :12224 :12224

Interested In All
Riding the Bench

Does anyone know who has applied or who the front runner might be

southernohiofan
JV Team

i would think bradford would be the front runner if he wants to apply

Return to “Boys Basketball”