River City Classic @ Marietta College 12/30

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

River City Classic @ Marietta College 12/30

Post by EasternDspy »

Anyone have a schedule?

Maxpreps says Fort plays Wirt the schedule I got from gas station says Marietta.

Other rumored games
Caldwell vs Warren
Williamstown vs Belpre

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Re: River City Classic @ Marietta College 12/30

Post by Raider6309 »

I'm surprised there is nothing online. Usually someone post a schedule on Facebook or Twitter
Last edited by Raider6309 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Fort Frye vs Wirt WV 2:45 pm
Warren vs Caldwell 6:15 pm
Belpre vs Williamstown WV 8:00 pm

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

This event is the biggest joke ever. Terrible scheduling terrible planning and terrible matchups. Not one game will be with 15 points. Marietta once again backed down from playing Fort Frye. Not one of these matchups make any sense.

Fort Frye vs Wirt will be 30 points

Caldwell is super young and asked not to play Warren what do they do they give them Warren.

Marietta the biggest school there is playing Wood County the smallest school. SMH

Belpre vs Williamstown - Williamstown way to disciplined.

Here is what the games should of been.

Fort Frye vs Marietta
Warren vs Williamstown
Caldwell vs Wirt
Wood County vs Belpre.

Games be a lot more competitive and a lot more interesting.

Awful planning.

Marietta dodges Fort again.

Marietta will play Caldwell, Frontier , Belpre , Wood County but won't play Fort Frye the game people want to see.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Seems like you're "right on" D'spy. 8-)

Big question is who made up this schedule? They sure weren't thinking about the gate receipt's. :roll:

Who would want to sit thru these games? Maybe just Parents, and Grandparents? :o

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

With the group of schools you could make so much money but instead now this event will be a huge flop. I'm telling you not 1 game will be within 10 points. Someone missed a huge cash cow here. Seriously what does Marietta gain by playing tiny (1-8) Wood County.

tigerblue
Freshman Team

Post by tigerblue »

Might want to get ALL the facts before spouting offabout Marietta being "afraid" to play Fort Frye.

First off, the event LAST YEAR was put together months in advance by Coach Duckworth and his staff and they did a fine job. Varsity games at the college, jv games at the high school, and junior high games at the middle school. As you know by now, Coach Duckworth was ran off by the administration and has no part in the scheduling/event this year. I'm really surprised it's even taking place.

Marietta WAS scheduled to take on the Fort at this years event. A very last minute invite to play in a showcase event on January 2nd (Chillicothe pulled out), gives the Tigers and the seniors, a chance to play a team out of Columbus at Qicken Loans Arena. They play at 1 and get to come back and watch the Cavs later that evening. Definitely an experience these kids couldn't pass up. Since they decided to take this invite, they had to "remove" a game on their schedule. Unfortunately, the FF game had to go. Surely, not because they were "scared".

As for the schedule showing Marietta vs WCC. That is true, but it is Marietta's junior varsity team taking on WCC varsity.

Hope this clears some things up.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

tigerblue wrote:Might want to get ALL the facts before spouting offabout Marietta being "afraid" to play Fort Frye.

First off, the event LAST YEAR was put together months in advance by Coach Duckworth and his staff and they did a fine job. Varsity games at the college, jv games at the high school, and junior high games at the middle school. As you know by now, Coach Duckworth was ran off by the administration and has no part in the scheduling/event this year. I'm really surprised it's even taking place.

Marietta WAS scheduled to take on the Fort at this years event. A very last minute invite to play in a showcase event on January 2nd (Chillicothe pulled out), gives the Tigers and the seniors, a chance to play a team out of Columbus at Qicken Loans Arena. They play at 1 and get to come back and watch the Cavs later that evening. Definitely an experience these kids couldn't pass up. Since they decided to take this invite, they had to "remove" a game on their schedule. Unfortunately, the FF game had to go. Surely, not because they were "scared".

As for the schedule showing Marietta vs WCC. That is true, but it is Marietta's junior varsity team taking on WCC varsity.

Hope this clears some things up.

Awesome opportunity but this event is terrible and should not return next season. I dont blame Marietta for leaving for that. Even with that scheduling could of been done much better. Not one team in this event gains anything for playing these games. I know for a fact Caldwell told the event advisor they didn't want to play Warren.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Even if you switch Belpre and Caldwell you might get 2 decent games.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Make the game happen then every year Washington County fans want to see Fort Frye vs Marietta. Marietta will play every team in the area but won't play Fort Frye. I've heard it for years Fort is continuously told Marietta has nothing to gain by playing that game.

1. It be a huge gate with a packed house.
2. Marietta has played Frontier , Caldwell and Belpre recently why not Fort???

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

A game had to go? Why not play one of your gamex vs Alexander. This is Mariettas event and youre sending a JV team.

tigerblue
Freshman Team

Post by tigerblue »

EasternDspy wrote:

Awesome opportunity but this event is terrible and should not return next season. I dont blame Marietta for leaving for that. Even with that scheduling could of been done much better. Not one team in this event gains anything for playing these games. I know for a fact Caldwell told the event advisor they didn't want to play Warren.

Oh I totally agree. This years schedule is not very good at all. Last years schedule was 10x better. But like I said before, Coach Duckworth put last years schedule together and knew what he was doing. Only complaint I had was the $10 price tag on admission. Not exactly sure who's running the show this year, Dawson perhaps......idk. This is an event that needs put together months in advance, not July and August.

tigerblue
Freshman Team

Post by tigerblue »

My guess is that the Alexander series was already contracted previously. The River City Classic was considered an "add on" game. You would have to contact Ricardo Guimond for further clarification. He's the AD.

tigerblue
Freshman Team

Post by tigerblue »

But I can assure you. Marietta plays a very tough ECOL schedule. They're far from scared to play FF.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Do you think people will pay 10 to watch these games?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Was this the same event Athens played in a few years ago? I remember it was two days. Upper Arlington, Athens, Warren, Saint Clairsville, River, Fort Frye, Parkersburg South, and others. All were good games

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

ECOL games very tough but I've been to Marietta games the crowds are normally pretty low.

River City Classic if planned ahead of a time.

Parkersburg South vs Warren
Parkersburg vs Marietta
Williamstown vs Waterford
Parkersburg Cath vs Fort Frye
St Marys vs Belpre
Wirt vs Frontier

That would sell tickets. I would gladly pay 10 for that.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Raider6309 wrote:Was this the same event Athens played in a few years ago? I remember it was two days. Upper Arlington, Athens, Warren, Saint Clairsville, River, Fort Frye, Parkersburg South, and others. All were good games

Same event.
Those were some fun games

tigerblue
Freshman Team

Post by tigerblue »

Same event yes......but ran by someone else. It wasn't going to happen last year, but Duckworth stepped up and put together the Ohio vs West Virginia challenge. This year it's the River City Classic. Note the name change......different people running it..... thus the lack of quality.

tigerblue
Freshman Team

Post by tigerblue »

EasternDspy wrote:ECOL games very tough but I've been to Marietta games the crowds are normally pretty low.

River City Classic if planned ahead of a time.

Parkersburg South vs Warren
Parkersburg vs Marietta
Williamstown vs Waterford
Parkersburg Cath vs Fort Frye
St Marys vs Belpre
Wirt vs Frontier

That would sell tickets. I would gladly pay 10 for that.
Yes. Crowds are very low. Embarrassing actually. They are better this year. Huge senior class on the roster.....new coaching staff........better student turnout.

And I like that schedule above. Marietta played PHS in last years event.

Return to “Boys Basketball”