I think I speak for all Oaks fans when I say this....

Champs2006
Waterboy

Re: I think I speak for all Oaks fans when I say this....

Post by Champs2006 »

I think that the argument of transfers only arises when a team has success. If Oak Hill wen 0-20 or 5-15, this thread would not exist.

Webster won a championship in '06 and it was "only because of a transfer." It doesn't matter that the '05 team had a 19-1 record and the '06 team had a 18-2 record. I don't think that the transfer coming in hurt S. Webster by any means (Brig was awesome), but in my opinion, the title is not tainted because of one transfer moving in. Nor do I think Africentric's title was tainted because of recruitment. Usually the better team wins the title, and that is what happened in 2005. Ask the coaches or the players from the 2005 team, they will tell you that Africentric beat them on the court and that's all that matters.

Oak Hill's title is not tainted either. Great coaching puts talent together and makes them accept roles and play together....regardless of where they are from.

Whether we agree with them or not, the current rules are what they are. My suggestion is, be happy that we have had many teams from Southern Ohio in the last 5 years that have made us proud and brought home some gold. It's a tremendous accomplishment and I, for one, could care less where they came from.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

Welcome to D-3 oaks!

oaks one
Waterboy

Post by oaks one »

Oaks went 5-0 against D2 teams. This included an 18 pt win against D2 Alliance-Marlington who beat 3rd rated, 19-1, D2 team Minora (?) in the D2 sectionals up north. They were about 8-2 against D3 teams with their only two losses coming to pretty decent D3 Valley and Minford, who they then beat each by 40+ second time around SOC 2. Ada and Kalida who they played in state finals would beat many D3 teams in the area. Oaks lost almost 31 PPG, about 12 rebounds and many steals/blocked shots with the graduation of J.D.Hale and
R. Borden. But to say "welcome to D3" like they will be scared of that competion is somewhat unrealistic.

bball fan123
Freshman Team

Post by bball fan123 »

oaks one wrote:Oaks went 5-0 against D2 teams. This included an 18 pt win against D2 Alliance-Marlington who beat 3rd rated, 19-1, D2 team Minora (?) in the D2 sectionals up north. They were about 8-2 against D3 teams with their only two losses coming to pretty decent D3 Valley and Minford, who they then beat each by 40+ second time around SOC 2. Ada and Kalida who they played in state finals would beat many D3 teams in the area. Oaks lost almost 31 PPG, about 12 rebounds and many steals/blocked shots with the graduation of J.D.Hale and
R. Borden. But to say "welcome to D3" like they will be scared of that competion is somewhat unrealistic.

I think most D3 squads are tougher than D2. IMO. The statement people are making about 'welcome to d3' and such is just to show them that during the regular season even WITH the state championship team they lost to D3 teams in their OWN league. Losing players will make it a lot tougher to where the statements about moving up to d3 actually make sense. The oaks should take this as a challenge and prove people wrong and prove that they can compete in a tougher division.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

All of you are focusing on each other over a couple of kids here or there when the focus should be on the state alowing the private schools who can recrute to compete with those of us that are not supposed to if not for transfers there is no possible way a public school can dream of compeating and its foolish to think other wise!!!!!!!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Without the transfers around here, teams in this area cannot compete with the bigger city schools or the private schools, who can pretty much take in anyone they want, so without the transfers and making some teams stronger, SEO would never get any recognition or ever make it to the final four for a chance to win the gold trophy.

Will Bendolph make that big of a difference for the Burg this year, much like Wagginger did for SW? Only time will tell. I know for one thing, if he doesn't change how he acted last year at PHS he won't be on the bball court for long. You can pretty much take that to the bank.

BIG POPPA
Freshman Team

Post by BIG POPPA »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Will Bendolph make that big of a difference for the Burg this year, much like Wagginger did for SW? Only time will tell. I know for one thing, if he doesn't change how he acted last year at PHS he won't be on the bball court for long. You can pretty much take that to the bank.

NO! He wont make that kind of impact. I don't think he is a D1 level talent. Waginger is playing D1 Ball after playing at SW who is D4 high school. I heard that there are a few on the football staff that Bendolph has had attitude with but thats hear say. Dont think coach Barrick will tolerate that if its the truth.

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

BIG POPPA wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:Will Bendolph make that big of a difference for the Burg this year, much like Wagginger did for SW? Only time will tell. I know for one thing, if he doesn't change how he acted last year at PHS he won't be on the bball court for long. You can pretty much take that to the bank.

NO! He wont make that kind of impact. I don't think he is a D1 level talent. Waginger is playing D1 Ball after playing at SW who is D4 high school. I heard that there are a few on the football staff that Bendolph has had attitude with but thats hear say. Dont think coach Barrick will tolerate that if its the truth.

I don't care what attitude Bendolph might carry..they all are teenagers on that team and they all possess some sort of attitude I guarantee it. I also can guarantee also Barrick won't put up with anything. I watched Bendolph play all summer with the team and he never once has an attitude. If anything, he has matured into a great team player and the best thing for him was to get out of Portsmouth. I think he will be able to better display his talents at Burg and mature.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

A little early to say that Bendolph is not D1 talent when he is just a Junior. He still has two years of HS to grow and mature as a player and with Coach Barrick, he will get a wealth of knowledge to take with him in life.

I'm looking forward to watching the Pirates this year.

iwearblacknikes
S

Post by iwearblacknikes »

I have never seen the Bendolph kid play. How good is he?

Kickinurz
Freshman Team

Post by Kickinurz »

I heard the Waverly sectional has been busted up. I heard Athens High School will be a site for a sectional. Does anyone have the sectional info. for who goes where?

DASANI
Riding the Bench

Post by DASANI »

Manxious2 wrote:Wow! Here is a crazy thought... since we are all open to open enrollment and/or recruiting bb players, why don't we just allow red shirting our athletes so that we can load our teams up even more? Hmmmm? Ooops, sorry, I forgot we actually do that now don't we? It's called keeping our kid back a year in the 8th grade (supposedly to give them a chance to mature or catch up on his academic standing...or some other crap excuse). If you people want to justify recruitment as a way to better compete at the state level then you might want to think of some other easy ways to build your program/s also. No matter how you look at it, the game of high school basketball looses its purity. I promise you that in the long run it will do more damage than good to basketball programs and those kids that have poured their hearts into playing just to watch transfers come in and take their places.
As for myself... I want a one year ineligibility rule for in or out of state transfers and a one year loss of playing eligibilty for a student held back in school! Enough is enough. Wow, I need a sedative, haha

I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT SLONE FROM OAKHILL SHOULD BE A JOUNIOR.

iwearblacknikes
S

Post by iwearblacknikes »

Slone from Oak Hill is a Junior. Idiot. Learn how to spell Oak Hill* and Junior*

ole_Bobcat
JV Team

Post by ole_Bobcat »

Regulator wrote:
WitnessProtection wrote:Would your proposed rule apply to kids whose parents move in from out of state?
What about a kid who didn't play sports in ninth grade, family moves over the summer and he's/she's at a new school for 10th grade and they want to play?
I'm not sure you can close all the "loopholes."
JMO ...

All kids. No loopholes. Move into an Ohio District you are ineligible for one year to play sports. Period!! NO more Clearer then that right there. I feel like that Mobil to Mobil commercial where the firefighters are running congress and making decisions easily.

So your going to punish the kids who have parents who have jobs that require them to move? Or a kid with aspirations to play College Basketball from going to play for a coach who wil make him better?

Because you lost to a parineal power?

Return to “Boys Basketball”