Wheelersburg Basketball 2009-2010

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: Wheelersburg Basketball 2009-2010

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Eaglesnest wrote:Burg will be just fine. You have plenty of athletes at every position. However, Stegman is not the best big man in the league as baller 08 states. ...but that should be debated on another thread.

And just who is the best big man in the SOC, pray tell?

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
Eaglesnest wrote:Burg will be just fine. You have plenty of athletes at every position. However, Stegman is not the best big man in the league as baller 08 states. ...but that should be debated on another thread.

And just who is the best big man in the SOC, pray tell?

The big kid from Northwest appeared to me to be quicker, more athletic, better ball handler, and better shooter/finisher than Stegman. And please, don't take that statement as a slam against Stegman. Stegman is an excellent player and better than everyone else. Most teams would love to have either of them!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

How big is Leslie? I though he was only around 6'2" or 6'3" and I don't consider that to be a "big man". Stegman is at least 6'6" or 6'7" and that I consider a big man in high school.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

I think Leslie is at least 6'6", and in my opinion, at this time, probably a better player than Stegman, but he is a senior and "Stegasaurous" is only a junior, so we are not comparing apples to apples.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

stegman is only a "big man" because of his 6'6". he runs the floor better and would be better suited to a 3 or 4 slot. he can put the ball on the floor and move with it. does a nice job down low but is better facing the basket.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

RxBurgFan wrote:stegman is only a "big man" because of his 6'6". he runs the floor better and would be better suited to a 3 or 4 slot. he can put the ball on the floor and move with it. does a nice job down low but is better facing the basket.

I have seen Leslie high jump 6-2 not Stegman .They are both fine players

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

How has Burgs Varsity and JV looked in there scrimmages?

BURGBLITZ
Waterboy

Post by BURGBLITZ »

who are the potential starters and first ones off the bench for us this season

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

BURGBLITZ wrote:who are the potential starters and first ones off the bench for us this season

Starters: Stegman, Bendolph, Ward, Schankweiler, Lang.

Players of the bench: Warner or Miller(First ones off the bench), Ballard, Graph, Diduit, Parker...probably in that order too...

TARTAN/TITAN
Freshman Team

Post by TARTAN/TITAN »

Mad_Dogg wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:Not having Whitley, Craigmiles, or Kemper is really going to affect the depth of this years team. Where I figured they could go 8 or 9 deep this year and not lose a step, I see it being about 6 or 7 deep now. Shankweiler wil be out for a while so that takes the depth down even more for a few games. Will be very interesting, and I'm sure very entertaining, at the Burg this season.

Also, it's going to be rough, if not almost impossible, for the JV team to play all 20 JV games and a freshman schedule as well. How are they going to do a triple header, have them play two games in a row or sacrifice losing one to win the other by spliiting up the team?

why are they not playin?[/quote]
Last edited by TARTAN/TITAN on Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

TARTAN/TITAN
Freshman Team

Post by TARTAN/TITAN »

therepublican wrote:
BURGBLITZ wrote:who are the potential starters and first ones off the bench for us this season

Players of the bench: Warner or Miller(First ones off the bench), Ballard, Graph, Diduit, Parker...probably in that order too...

Big Poppy
Waterboy

Post by Big Poppy »

TARTAN/TITAN wrote:
therepublican wrote:

kemper is working on his future with baseball and will be playing somewhere next year in colleage, whitley is focusing on football, working out with a personnal trainer and going to highschool combine workouts this winter, graigmiles well i just don't think he wanted to play.......

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

therepublican wrote:

I see Duduit coming off about 6th or 7th man depending on how stegman is doing and if he gets in foul trouble

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

I see Andy Sloan getting minutes, he is the prototypical "Barrick" type post player, strong, physical, and never quits on a play.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

GO BURG!

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

D-5 wrote:
RxBurgFan wrote:stegman is only a "big man" because of his 6'6". he runs the floor better and would be better suited to a 3 or 4 slot. he can put the ball on the floor and move with it. does a nice job down low but is better facing the basket.

I have seen Leslie high jump 6-2 not Stegman .They are both fine players

Hank Leslie jumped 6-4 at a meet last year--either at Western or Huntington HS if I recall correctly but his coach said that the bar read higher than what it actually measured for what that is worth. Andy Stegman cleared 6-0 at the SOC meet but it was only his second or third meet that year and did not jump his freshman year. He looked like he jumped high enough for a 6-2 clearance on his 6-0 jump but his technique was inconsistent as would be expected. Hank cleared 6-2 at that meet to win the SOC over Vince Shanks of Western. Shanks took second with fewer misses than Stegman and Stegman was third. With a little coaching, Stegman would have an excellent chance at making state in Division III in the high jump if he wished--IMHO.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

91Grad wrote:How has Burgs Varsity and JV looked in there scrimmages?

They have things to work on still but they have looked OK. Of course you have to judge the level of competition and what each coach is working on at the time but the Pirates do have more scoring threats this year and should have both a decent inside and outside scoring. They can go the full depth of the bench for defense but run only about five deep on really good scorers without Schankweiler. But the rest of the bench is good for 5-10 points each on any given night depending on playing time. Give Coach a little time and he will settle them into their roles for the year and it all will be good.

They should have a tough game on Saturday.

My prediction on starters is: Stegman, Ward, Bendolph, Lang and Miller.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

In the PDT today it said Shank and Bendolph were both still hurt. What is the time line for getting them back?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I believe Bendoplh is actually ready to play, they just held him out of the previews to not take any chances at him getting reinjured in a meaningless scrimmage.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Meaningless?, You should have heard the two guys sitting next to me yelling at the refs!!! :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”