... Pike County Holiday Classic - Day 1 ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

... Pike County Holiday Classic - Day 1 ...

Post by pfloyd »

Day 1 of the Pike County Holiday Classic in Waverly at the Downtown Gymnasium , what a great facility to watch a basketball game ! Mrs. pfloyd and I sat in the upper deck Cheap Seats - we were not alone LOL - the place was packed but comfortable ...

Game 1 :

Eastern Pike 53
Western Pike 59 a final

... The Eagles of Eastern seemed to be chasing the entire game as Western Pike appeared a step quicker, stronger on the boards, and able to keep the Eastern offense outside the arc for the biggest part of the game ... the quarter breaks had Western keeping Coach Barrick's boyz at arms length :

Western ... 16 ... 30 ... 38 ...
Eastern .... 10 ... 21 ... 35 ...

... the Eagles started the 2nd half down 9 points ... I have seen Eastern play one other time this season - vs Clay at Eastern - in that game the Eagles showed me a lot of strength on the boards, the ability to get inside from the perimeter , Michael Miller WAS a key as he took over the Clay game in the 2nd half ... as the 3rd qtr opened - glimpses of THAT Eastern TEAM showed as penetration from the guards drew help which allowed entry passes to Miller - Miller in the qtr had 6 pts, Cody Weaver the other big man in the paint for EHS added 4 pts in the paint ... only 3 treys attempted by EHS in the 3rd which was key imo as the Eagles got back to what they do best- work the ball, show patience on offense , get into the paint, rebound with authority ... Western was held to 3 fgs in the 3rd, no triples, the EHS defense shutdown the inside game of WHS as well - Lane Brewster 0 pts in the 3rd (8 in the first half) / Broc Jordan & Bryce Brewster combined for 1 pt in the 3rd (8 for the first half)/Alex Humphrey 0 pts in the 3rd (5 in the first half) ... Eastern 14 Western 8 in the 3rd qtr. game on ... Qtr 4 Eastern got all the way back into the game as the Eagles took the lead 46-44 behind 3 pointers from Ethan Leist and Clay Martin ... Eastern actually outscored Western in the 4th from the field 14-13 BUT enter Tanner Perdue for Western ... Perdue was the one scorer who DID show up for Western in the previous 3 quarters - putting up 14 pts thru 3 ... the 4th quarter with the Eagles matching WHS from the field ... Perdue put the "W" in Western's column as the junior went 8/8 from the line ... Eastern put up 7 FTs in the 4th but could only hit 4/7 ... Western moves on to the Championship game ... Western 59 Eastern 53 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Eastern Pike ...

Scoring ... Ethan Leist 17, Michael Miller 12, Cody Weaver 10, Clay Martin 5, Quentin Alley 5, Evan Leist 4
3 pointers ... 2/19 ... Ethan Leist 1, Clay Martin 1
FTs .......... 7/16 - ouch !
TOs ........ 9
PntP ....... 36
Transition Points ... 10

... Coach Barrick's boyz kept hanging around until they finally got the lead in the 4th but too much size for Western -better FT shooting down the stretch for Western did the Eagles in tonight ... based on the first game I saw from Eastern - Evan Leist & Clay Martin were bigger factors in the scoring column and the assist stat ... both were nullified by the Western defense tonight ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Western Pike ...

Scoring ... Tanner Perdue 24, Lane Brewster 13, Bryce Brewster 7, Broc Jordan 6, Alex Humphrey 5, Ethan Dunn 4
3 pointers ... 5/10 ... Lane Brewster 3, Tanner Perdue 1, Alex Humphrey 1
FTs .......... 10/14 ... Perdue 8/8 in the 4th qtr ... 9/10 on the night ... the rest of the team went 1/4 on the night
TOs ....... 17
PntP ...... 22
Points in Transition ... 2

... Coach Miller has a very very good basketball team - excellent size for D4 : 6-5/6-4/6-2/6-4/5-10 in the starters ... add to the fact that there's ONLY ONE senior in the starting five , ON THE TEAM (Bryce Brewster) ... B. Brewster (12), 6-5 Broc Jordan (9), L. Brewster (10), Tanner Perdue (11), Ethan Dunn (10) <= those are the starters for WHS ... role players off the bench Alex Humphrey (10),Ryan Woods (11) ... Western will be just as good or better next year ...

Game #2 :

Waverly 73
Piketon 61 a final

... if Western was the better team in game one with the win over Eastern Pike then Waverly has the best track team I saw tonight , in either game ... my first thought as the Tigers were introduced was that Waverly is built for speed ... the Tigers didn't disappoint - the first quarter was "slow" by anyones standards with Piketon dropping a couple of treys (1 each by Casey Moore & Steven Zimmerman) while the Tigers showed what was to come by taking 2 PHS miscues and turned them into points in transition ... Piketon 12 Waverly 10 after one ... period 2 saw the pace pick up which was to the Tigers liking - 3 more fgs in transition for WHS led to a 19 point 2nd qtr for the Tigers ... Piketon was in slow motion compared to WHS putting up but 10 points (5 by Casey Moore to give him 12 in the half) ... Waverly 29 Piketon 22 at intermission ... BOTH teams got a 2nd wind as a fast paced basketball game turned into an all out track meet in the 3rd as Waverly put up 22 pts to Piketon's 19 ... Waverly was led by Clayton Howell (9pts)/Cade Marquez (7pts) / Easton Wolf (6 pts) while in lanes 4,5 & 6 were runners for the Red Streaks - Travis Veach (8pts)/Casey Moore (6pts)/ Blake Reader (5 pts) ... Waverly 51 Piketon 41 end of 3 ... Waverly once again kept up the transition game in the 4th getting out fast early and never looked back adding a 22 point 4th quarter to Piketon's 20 points to cross the finish line with a 73-61 win that has the Tigers taking on Western Pike in the Championship game Friday night ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Piketon ...

Scoring ... Casey Moore 22, Travis Veach 13, Steven Zimmerman 11, Blake Reader 8, Alex Blanton 3, Kenny Roberts 2, Scott Lightle 2
3 pointers ... 4/16 ... Travis Veach 1, Alex Blanton 1, Steven Zimmerman 1, Casey Moore 1
FTs ..... 7/11
TOs .... 18
PntP ... 36
Transition Points ... 10

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Waverly ...

Scoring ...Easton Wolf 19, Cade Marquez 19, Clayton Howell 17, Trey Rigsb 6, Jake Reed 5, Ethan Adrian 3, Bailey Pennington 2, Ethan Lummer 2
3 pointers .... 4/17 ... Clayton Howell 2, Cade Marquez 1, Jake Reed 1
FTs .... 13/19
TOs ... 16
PntP ... 44
Transition Points ... 18

... when you take on the Tigers you better bring your track shoes and lace 'em up tight ! ... IF you as the opposition can't score the ball and can't rebound Waverly will eat you up ... the Tigers look to push the ball for 32 minutes, missed shots by the opponent turn into 2 or 3 on one at the other end ... the Tigers pressure the ball for 32 minutes defensively - IF you are weak on the perimeter the Tigers WILL find the weak link , expose it, and score in transition ... IF you get tired the Tigers will expose that fact, take advantage of your slow reactions, turn you over and score in transition ... there IS a pattern here : Waverly looks to run, looks to run at EVERY opportunity, looks to score in transition at the rim ... vs weaker teams ie. Piketon , Waverly will win a boat load of games ... I need to see the Tigers vs a balanced scoring team, a team with size on the boards, a team that is disciplined /patient with the ball on the offensive end ... oh wait !!!! that would be Friday nights Championship Game vs Western Pike !!! I will be looking for a rundown of tonight's game WHS vs WHS !!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: ... Pike County Holiday Classic - Day 1 ...

Post by pfloyd »

... daniC ... thanks for sharing the Cheap Seats with pfloyd tonight ! always good to talk hoops with you my friend ! ... I had the pleasure of meeting Landon Carroll - PG for Oak Hill - tonight at the game ! I totally enjoy meeting and talking shop with the players from the different teams in Southern Ohio ... good to see Landon's Dad at the game as well ... Landon's Oaks are at 8-0 on the season - Oak Hill impressed pfloyd and "the committee of one - me" in their win over Alexander Wednesday night ... I usually get to see a few of the SOC teams during the regular season IF they make their way into SouthEastern Ohio ...THIS season I told myself I HAD TO get out to see as many of these teams as possible as I KNEW they had a lot of talent this season (actually last season as well - but a lot of returning talent) Oak Hill, Eastern Pike, Western Pike, Portsmouth East, Waverly, Minford the only teams now that I haven't seen in the SOC that I feel are quality teams that I still must see in the regular season are South Webster , Wheelersburg & Notre Dame ... so pfloyd has a few more trips to make into Pike, Scioto Counties in January ... I'll have to look at the master schedules and see when and where I will be in the coming weeks ...

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Pfloyd,

A big thank you from Puyallup, Washington sir. As always you provide an honest and basketball savvy response and breakdown to the games that almost make a person feel as if they were there themselves. I appreciate it and always enjoy reading your post. Once again, thank you.

Mailman
All Conference

Post by Mailman »

pfloyd wrote:... daniC ... thanks for sharing the Cheap Seats with pfloyd tonight ! always good to talk hoops with you my friend ! ... I had the pleasure of meeting Landon Carroll - PG for Oak Hill - tonight at the game ! I totally enjoy meeting and talking shop with the players from the different teams in Southern Ohio ... good to see Landon's Dad at the game as well ... Landon's Oaks are at 8-0 on the season - Oak Hill impressed pfloyd and "the committee of one - me" in their win over Alexander Wednesday night ... I usually get to see a few of the SOC teams during the regular season IF they make their way into SouthEastern Ohio ...THIS season I told myself I HAD TO get out to see as many of these teams as possible as I KNEW they had a lot of talent this season (actually last season as well - but a lot of returning talent) Oak Hill, Eastern Pike, Western Pike, Portsmouth East, Waverly, Minford the only teams now that I haven't seen in the SOC that I feel are quality teams that I still must see in the regular season are South Webster , Wheelersburg & Notre Dame ... so pfloyd has a few more trips to make into Pike, Scioto Counties in January ... I'll have to look at the master schedules and see when and where I will be in the coming weeks ...

January 27 Western at Notre Dame. Should be a dandy. Notre Dame handled Western at Western by 14. But Western will be ready for revenge.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Should be a good championship game tonight. Waverly is so deep it will be difficult for Western to keep up. Westerns first five is just as good as Waverlys first five but Waverlys bench is so deep they wear you out n the second half. Exactly what happened to Piketon. Piketon made the second half run to get it to three points and then just fan out of gas. Waverly does that to most teams.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hoggy wrote:Pfloyd,

A big thank you from Puyallup, Washington sir. As always you provide an honest and basketball savvy response and breakdown to the games that almost make a person feel as if they were there themselves. I appreciate it and always enjoy reading your post. Once again, thank you.

Hoggy ! YOU are more than welcome !

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

Waverly won the championship besting Western by 23 points 84-61

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Congratulations to the Tigers ! I will have to admit I did not see this type of spread in the scoring ... nice "W" for Waverly ...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Cade Marquez with 22 of his 26 points in the 2nd half tonight to take home Tournament MVP honors. Bailey Pennington with a nice night shooting the ball with 14. Trey Rigsby stepped up with 11. Clayton Howell added 10 to his 17 from Thursday night to be named to the All Tournament team. Ethan Adrian and Jake Reed with 7 a piece while Cobe Marquez chipped in 5. Easton Wolfe added 4.
The Tigers ran and ran and ran scoring 44 points in the 2nd half compared to Western's 25.
Mr. consistent Tanner Perdue lead Western with 24 to match his 24 from Thursday night to be named to the All Tournament Team. Bryce Brewster followed with 17 and Lane Brewster with 15, hitting 3 bug threes in the 2nd period to bring Western back to within 4 at the break. Alex Humphrey added 3 and Ethan Dunn 2.

Eastern's Ethan Leist poured in 17 to match his 17 from Thursday night to be named to the All Tournament Team. Michael Miller had a big night with 17 points as well. Evan Leist poured in all of his 14 points in the 2nd half. Clay Martin and Cody Weaver both chipped in 8 points and Quentin Alley added 7.

Piketons Casey Moore was named to the All Tournament Team with 24 points to add to his 22 from last night. No one else was in double figures for Piketon. Colton Green 8, Blake Reader 6, Alex Blanton 6, Scott Lightle 5, Travis Veach 4, Tanner Veach 2, Steven Zimmerman 2.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Great to visit with you Pfloyd! Amazingly, that was my first ever expierence at this event and it was enjoyable. Very well done by Waverly on the Hall of Fame Ceremony, as some schools extend those out and that was very crisp and excellently presented.

Tonight's result was a little surprising to me as well, but congratulations to the Tigers on the tournament championship! That style they play is relentless and will kill you if you don't have the depth or ballhandlers. Waverly will get lots of Ws this season.

I think Eastern and Western will have very successful seasons as well, especially at the D4 level.

Tigerfan92
Waterboy

Post by Tigerfan92 »

Congrats to the Tigers. The best thing about this Tiger team is they play TEAM basketball. Not like a lot of teams I've watched this season. Being selfish, driving into traffic, throwing the ball up and hoping for the foul is a common theme in basketball today. High school, college and pros play way to much of this type of basketball. Blame the newspapers and year end awards for a lot of this. The Tigers have pieces that don't get mentioned in the paper but play important parts in the Tiger wins. The Tigers have figured out what it takes to get the W's. If Waverly continues to play "we ball" and not "me ball" they will win their fair share of games this year. Actually, they have a good chance to win the league. Good luck to all the county teams the rest of the year and Go Tigers!

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

I can't figure out why Waverly did their HOF ceremony during the county tournament. Seems like it should be a county HOF ceremony to be done during the county tournament.

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

I believe it had to do with John Martin's availability to travel here from Florida as to why they had it over Christmas.

Return to “Boys Basketball”