1/3. Wheelersburg @ Jackson

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

1/3. Wheelersburg @ Jackson

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Thoughts

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 1/3. Wheelersburg @ Jackson

Post by Ironman92 »

Who has Burg played/beaten so far?

Without knowing much I feel this should be a competitive game. I hear Holden is quite the player.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Ironman92 wrote:Who has Burg played/beaten so far?

Without knowing much I feel this should be a competitive game. I hear Holden is quite the player.
Wheelersburg has beaten West Union 99-60, Valley 62-54 and Minford 52-34. They lost to Ironton 50-57 and South Webster 35-38.

I see where Jackson beat South Webster 49-43 and lost to Minford 53-57.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

a_c_m wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:Who has Burg played/beaten so far?

Wheelersburg has beaten West Union 99-60, Valley 62-54 and Minford 52-34. They lost to Ironton 50-57 and South Webster 35-38.

I see where Jackson beat South Webster 49-43 and lost to Minford 53-57.
Well, beating Minford like that scares me but also Jackson beat South Webster. We played Ironton tight in a scrimmage but they didn't have their 6'5 kid playing. I'd guess Burg the favorite but if they don't play well and Jackson hits a few shots it'll be real tight.

Who is Wheelersburg's coach now? How long has he been there?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

South Webster is somewhat of a hard common opponent to go on. SW played their worst game of the season at Jackson and didn't have the 2 Blevins boys for most of the game (which is a massive hit for SW).. They then played very well defensively to win at Burg which is always one of the hardest places to play.

Just by the eye test, Wheelersburg is a 10-15 point favorite. Holden and Coleman are the real deal, and Burg's physicality can match anyone around. Jackson is solid, but the loss to Minford has me a little concerned as Minford is the 5th best team in the SOC 2. Playing at Jackson should make that score a little closer.

I'll go with:

Wheelersburg 52
Jackson 43

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote:South Webster is somewhat of a hard common opponent to go on. SW played their worst game of the season at Jackson and didn't have the 2 Blevins boys for most of the game (which is a massive hit for SW).. They then played very well defensively to win at Burg which is always one of the hardest places to play.

Just by the eye test, Wheelersburg is a 10-15 point favorite. Holden and Coleman are the real deal, and Burg's physicality can match anyone around. Jackson is solid, but the loss to Minford has me a little concerned as Minford is the 5th best team in the SOC 2. Playing at Jackson should make that score a little closer.

I'll go with:

Wheelersburg 52
Jackson 43
Good input but if Minford is the 5th best SOC 2 team....where does that put Waverly? Jackson led at Waverly much of the game and had a 3 point lead with under 30 seconds left and had ball with game tied and 14 seconds left.....add in the game was in Waverly and this one is at home in Jackson.

Based on that Minford is a bit better than Waverly...but I don't think that's true at all. Jackson has played a few very good teams and have seen some very talented individuals. Agree Burg is the favorite but both teams believe they can win and expect to win this. Schedule getting tough for the Ironmen.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Ironman92 wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:South Webster is somewhat of a hard common opponent to go on. SW played their worst game of the season at Jackson and didn't have the 2 Blevins boys for most of the game (which is a massive hit for SW).. They then played very well defensively to win at Burg which is always one of the hardest places to play.

I'll go with:

Wheelersburg 52
Jackson 43
Good input but if Minford is the 5th best SOC 2 team....where does that put Waverly? Jackson led at Waverly much of the game and had a 3 point lead with under 30 seconds left and had ball with game tied and 14 seconds left.....add in the game was in Waverly and this one is at home in Jackson.

Based on that Minford is a bit better than Waverly...but I don't think that's true at all. Jackson has played a few very good teams and have seen some very talented individuals. Agree Burg is the favorite but both teams believe they can win and expect to win this. Schedule getting tough for the Ironmen.
Waverly is undoubtedly in the top 4 with Oak Hill, SW, and Burg. It'll come down to those 4 and it's anyone's game at this point.

Burg and Waverly are different teams with different styles. Waverly beats teams on speed and pressure etc, Burg beats teams with size and physicality. Ironmen matchup much better with Waverly than they do with Burg, which could explain why the game was so close at Waverly.

Jackson COULD win this game, but I'm just not sure they have the bodies downlow to consistently keep Wheelersburg off the glass. If Jackson had a solid 6'3"-6'4" kid downlow I'd like their chances, because I think their guard play is very good.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:

I'll go with:

Wheelersburg 52
Jackson 43

Waverly is undoubtedly in the top 4 with Oak Hill, SW, and Burg. It'll come down to those 4 and it's anyone's game at this point.

Burg and Waverly are different teams with different styles. Waverly beats teams on speed and pressure etc, Burg beats teams with size and physicality. Ironmen matchup much better with Waverly than they do with Burg, which could explain why the game was so close at Waverly.

Jackson COULD win this game, but I'm just not sure they have the bodies downlow to consistently keep Wheelersburg off the glass. If Jackson had a solid 6'3"-6'4" kid downlow I'd like their chances, because I think their guard play is very good.
Good post. Keeping it close in rebounding...along with keeping guard on the perimeter will be a challenge. I say if they can keep the rebounding total within 5 and keep Burg from shooting 50% on 3's....they can win it.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

A big difference in the games Minford had in the games between Burg and Jackson was more scorers in the Jackson game compared to the Burg game. Gullett scored 14 against Burg with no other player in double figures. He scored 16 against Jackson and Compton and Dalton both scored in double figures also. Feel if Jackson works the ball well against Burg, then Spohn, Donaldson, and Speakman can all drain a 3. Gullett got some good looks against Burg, but didn't hit the 3 like he did against Jackson.

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Not sure how someone can say Burg is a 10-15 point favorite against Jackson. Not sure Burg can shoot 50% from charity stripe let alone from behind the arc. Have watched them play a few times and shooting is not a consistent good thing for them. Webster beat them with a zone and Valley and Minford kept it close for a while. Not positive but think that Ironton played a zone also and beat Burg. West Union played a zone but they are a bad team all around. That was one game where Burg made some shots. Then they put up a whopping 35 at home against Webster and their zone. Actually I think they scored 18 the 1st quarter against a man to man and 17 in 3 quarters against a zone. If Jackson plays a zone at home, I give them the edge. If they play a man, I give Burg the edge because they have better drivers than they do shooters.

Bring the Heat
Freshman Team

Post by Bring the Heat »

Two teams that seem very similar.
The one thing they don't do is shoot the ball real well.

sounds like it could and should be an interesting game in the low to mid 50's.
First one to 60 wins............

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Madness wrote:Not sure how someone can say Burg is a 10-15 point favorite against Jackson. Not sure Burg can shoot 50% from charity stripe let alone from behind the arc. Have watched them play a few times and shooting is not a consistent good thing for them. Webster beat them with a zone and Valley and Minford kept it close for a while. Not positive but think that Ironton played a zone also and beat Burg. West Union played a zone but they are a bad team all around. That was one game where Burg made some shots. Then they put up a whopping 35 at home against Webster and their zone. Actually I think they scored 18 the 1st quarter against a man to man and 17 in 3 quarters against a zone. If Jackson plays a zone at home, I give them the edge. If they play a man, I give Burg the edge because they have better drivers than they do shooters.
Good info on the man vs zone...Jackson will play man I imagine and I'm sure will adjust as needed.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

Jackson wins this game.......Maybe double digit win.....

Gluefactory
Waterboy

Post by Gluefactory »

Jackson: Do not play a man against Wheelersburg. Pack the zone 2-3, 2-1-2 change your zone frequently but no man defense. Rebound scrap for every loose ball and you will be in this ballgame. Be very patient on offense, do not press ! Sit your D up and harass the ball. Rebound obviously. If I was defending them. I would run a triangle n two . if they struggle at the line you might be surprised. Good luck Ironmen!

samiam
Waterboy

Post by samiam »

Is any radio station going to carry this game?
Last edited by samiam on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

samiam
Waterboy

Post by samiam »

Is any radio station going to carry this game?

samiam
Waterboy

Post by samiam »

Any radio station carrying this game?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

96.7 might be

dcgjones
Freshman Team

Post by dcgjones »

mrwonderful wrote:Jackson wins this game.......Maybe double digit win.....
only if we are hitting our outside shots! If not, we lose by 10+

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

JV

Jackson 54
Wheelersburg 49 OT

Return to “Boys Basketball”