Warren Warriors 09-10

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Warren Warriors 09-10

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Time to start the updates for the summer schedule. Warren has faired nicely thus far this summer. They placed 3rd out of 26 teams in the Marietta shoot-out last weekend, losing to eventual champ Shadyside by 4 points in the semi-finals. Warren and Shadyside were tied with 1 minute to go and Maddox disagreed with a call. Let's just say Shadyside got four points shooting technicals and Warren lost by 4 points.

In summer league play Warren was a bit short handed when they lost to Wheeling Park in the first game on Thursday. I wasn't at the game but understand that they were actually up by 4 at half, then got thumped in the 2nd half.

The Warriors beat Tyler Consolidated by 25 or so last night.

The team heads to Eastern Camp tomorrow (Sunday) morning.

There will be lots of opportunities for younger players this year. Maddox is working to sort out the rotation, but it will include the returning varsity players (alphabetized):

Seniors: Ellenwood, Fivecoait, Harris & Lang
Juniors: Cunningham, Hilverding, Venham

The rest of the minutes will be split-up between other juniors and sophomores and perhaps a freshman. The other juniors I have seen are Carroll and Cowan. The sophomores are Hastie, Henthorn, Knost and Ward. The freshman that could get some minutes is Leffingwell.

I tried not to leave anyone out.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Re: Warren Warriors 09-10

The Warriors just returned from Eastern Camp where the varsity finished second in the varsity tournament and the JV finished first in the JV tourney.

Austin Cunningham is going to Vegas as one of the top three players from the camp. Grant Venham was also recognized as a top 10 player.

The varsity rotation is pretty much as I listed above. Fivecoait had to leave on Monday, so the Tournament was actually played short handed. Knost stepped into the starting rotation when Brandon left and the team still progressed to the final game.

The team played 34 "games" in 2.5 days and won a ton.

No rest for the weary . . . The players are back in the weight room this morning, they have the Rio shoot-out on Saturday, then have 3 summer league games on Sunday.
Last edited by warrnwarriorfan on Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

Yeah, wwfan, it'll have to work.

This has the potential to be one heck of a team. Lots of potential contributors who are all working to improve. Good senior leadership. Stable coach and program. They all have playing experience at the HS level.

I like what I'm hearing.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Apologies, but I will not be attending any more of the B-ball activities this summer, so I will not be able to report on the team's progress. No biggie, but my kid started to show some wear and tear on his ankles/feet and he's going to have to call it a summer as far as basketball goes and get healthy/ready for football.

The basketball team showed real promise this summer. If everyone stays healthy they can challenge for the SEOAL title.

It's football time!

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

Warren will challenge Chilly for the SEOAL title this year and could be making a trip to the Regionals I could see the Warriors having a special season this year I like there team

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

The Schedule for Big Blue, 2009-2010

Scrimmages:
Fri 11/13 NELSONVILE
Tue 11/17 ATHENS
Fri 11/20 Foundation Game at Vinton Co.
Tue 11/24 PHILO
Sat 11/28 @ Cambridge

Schedule: (SEOAL Games in Blue)
Fri 12/4 MEIGS
Tue 12/8 @ Fort Frye
Fri 12/11 MAYSVILLE
Wed 12/16 @ Belpre
Fri 12/18 PORTSMOUTH
Tue 12/22 @ Ironton
Tue 12/29 @ Logan
Tue 01/05 JACKSON
Fri 01/08 CHILLICOTHE
Fri 01/15 @ Gallia Academy

Sat 01/16 BELPRE
Tue 01/19 MARIETTA
Fri 01/22 @ Portsmouth

Sat 01/23 @ Fort Frye
Fri 01/29 IRONTON
Tue 02/02 @ Jackson
Fri 02/05 LOGAN
Tue 02/09 @ Marietta
Fri 02/12 @ Chillicothe
Fri 02/19 GALLIA ACADEMY (Senior Night)

Some notes:
- 14 league games, 7 road, 7 home...for the first time since '05-'06, we play a full round-robin.
- longest on-the-road stretch: 2 games (happens three times)
- Warren SD is currently scheduled to not have school on 01/19, a Tuesday, the day of the home Marietta game.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

WHSwarrior???? what is up with that schedule!!!!!!!????????? no string of games vs Ironton, @ Chillicothe, @ Zanesville, @ Portsmouth????!!!!!!!!!!!! back to back to back to back .... LOL - Coach Maddox must have lobbied hard for this years schedule LOL j/k ...

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

haha pfloyd....Every once in a while, all the stars fall into line....

ttfn
Waterboy

Post by ttfn »

What are the new freshmen coming in like?

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

At Ironton on a tuesday night and then they come to Warren on a friday night.

That blows.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

Ahh...but the Warriors are on Christmas Break already when they travel to Ironton on Tue 12/22...so the distance and time are considerably less of a factor.

Football season's over, the Warriors had a great run. The only upside to no football playoffs? Nothing is standing in the way of the basketball team getting ready to start gelling and getting ready. Coach Maddox has a talented, experienced team, a great staff, and all of Warriordom is ready for roundball season to tip off!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... WHSwarrior -did the basketball folks come out of the football season (outstanding season of the gridiron Warriors by the way) in good shape physically? ...

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

Hilverding, Venham, Henthorn all yes

Ellenwood hurt his wrist last night and wasn't able to play during the second half. He wasn't laying in pain on the field at any point or anything, he's not terribly injured, but I don't know anything aside from he wasn't able to take a snap securely.

The ones who weren't on the football team (Fivecoait, Lang, AC, etc) are all in great shape.

Someone had asked about the freshmen...I know that the Leffingwell kid is a pretty good player (just a good all-around athlete), I don't know any other standout names of freshmen off the top of my head but fortunately for the Warriors, they won't need to rely on freshmen this fall with all their experience. Let the freshmen improve their skills and get good minutes on Frosh and JV. It's a good recipe for program-building

bankshot
Freshman Team

Post by bankshot »

jeremy fivecoat also got a little banged up in the last game...it appeared to be his ankle but i haven't heard any updates on how he is...he could get some quality varsity minutes as well if he is healthy...can anyone please try to pay Wolfe or something to get him to come out for bball...he would be a big addition if he would come back out...i look for ellenwood, knost, and venham to do whatever they want inside and for brandon fivecoat and austin cunningham to get good open shots after they feed it inside and the d collapses on the big men...could be a great season for the warriors if they want to work for it...
...Godstrong...
...uno...
Last edited by bankshot on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

Wolfe needs to wrestle, you would be a very good upperweight. He has good balance, quick and overall good mobility for a kid his size. He would excell in wrestling.

goldentoe
Waterboy

Post by goldentoe »

If they play some black jock D, ask Duckworth, they will win the league.

ttfn
Waterboy

Post by ttfn »

WHSwarrior wrote:Someone had asked about the freshmen...I know that the Leffingwell kid is a pretty good player (just a good all-around athlete), I don't know any other standout names of freshmen off the top of my head but fortunately for the Warriors, they won't need to rely on freshmen this fall with all their experience. Let the freshmen improve their skills and get good minutes on Frosh and JV. It's a good recipe for program-building

Wasn't expecting them to get Varsity time... just wondering what lies ahead a couple of years down the road.

bankshot
Freshman Team

Post by bankshot »

just recently found out that Ellenwood is going to be done for awhile with a broken hand...also Jeremy Fivecoat has a broken ankle so he also will be done for awhile...i think the knost boy will step up and fill Ellenwoods role but there is noone else in the county that can shoot the 12-15 ft jumper like Ellenwood so that will be missed...hope everyone else can stay healthy through try-outs and scrimmages...
...Godstrong...
...uno...

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Ellenwood will actually find out next Thursday whether his wrist is really broken or not. They can't make a definitive diagnosis for 10 days after the injury. If it is, the particular bone that is involved takes 10-12 weeks to heal, so he would basically miss the season.

To say that he has not had the best luck with injuries and basketball would be the understatement of the century.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

Are you sure you want to settle for a century?

If Ellenwood can't play...we'll miss him. But it's not too late for someone to learn that role if Clay isn't available.

Hoping for the best

Return to “Boys Basketball”