Officiating

Madness
Freshman Team

Re: Officiating

Post by Madness »

The best officials are the ones you don't remember doing the game. They let the game be about the kids and not a showcase for themselves. I haven't heard to many basketball fans say they are going to go watch someone referee a game, they are going to go watch 2 teams play. The best officials know that and keep it about the teams and not themselves.

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

mhs95_06 your exactly right on the 5'9 guy driving in out of control, getting in the air and throwing up a dream shot iniating contact with a big standing straight up and the big gets called for the foul...also the loose ball thing is totally out of control... Chieftain fan is correct about the trash talking....Mr wonderful is spot on with if high school officials reviewed these games several grayson Allens would be exposed.....Irontons big Man talked trash the whole game against South point....he shoved, elbowed, and I seen him trip one kid intentionally....He kicked one kid while he was down on the floor intentionally and everyone in the gym seen it but the officials .... This same kid refused to shake hands with the South Point team after the game......This poor sportsmanship by this one kid reflects poorly on Irontons team....The other Ironton players were well behaved and showed sportsmanship.... I listened to a couple Ironton games on internet b and heard the ironton announcer talking about this kids physical play and they seemed to love and condone his trash talking....Clean physical play is the way you should play....Elbowing, tripping , kicking, and talking the whole game is poor sportsmanship and shouldn't be tolerated by any coach.......

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

thebarlowbandit wrote:Well they are looking for good officials, here is the link and your opportunity to give back to the game, the community and the kids.

http://ohsaa.org/Officiating/permits

Don't talk about it, be about it!!!!
Not everyone who sees the problem can ref games. Some can't physically, doesn't mean they don't see a problem with today's officiating.
Is there no holding them accountable?

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

smurray wrote:
thebarlowbandit wrote:Well they are looking for good officials, here is the link and your opportunity to give back to the game, the community and the kids.

Not everyone who sees the problem can ref games. Some can't physically, doesn't mean they don't see a problem with today's officiating.

So you are telling me that every single person here who is complaining is physically unable to do the job? Yeah, not buying it. As I said, don't talk about it, be about it.

FULLCOURTPRESS
Waterboy

Post by FULLCOURTPRESS »

Wow, good points all around. I am a Class 1 with only 10 years. First, we will miss calls lol. You show me someone who is 100% all year and I will show you a liar :). Anyways, I too would like to see the nonsense cleaned up. Basketball is a contact sport not a collision sport as football. One thing to remember is that it my decision to deem contact as an ADVANTAGE. My main goals are to make sure the floor, apparatus and equipment used or worn will not hurt a player. To make sure ALL rules are followed to were no team has an advantage by breaking those rules. Most importantly to keep the flow of the game and enforce sportsmanship and the integrity of the game.

You are all correct concerning hand checking, verticality, displacement, etc. Referees by rule should be pre-gaming in the locker room after arrival and getting dressed. In that pre-game discussions about keeping flow, control and what we are to be concentrating on is discussed.

Lastly, a lot if calls and nonsense could be cleaned up with better coaching and a more thorough understanding of the rules by coaching staff and players. A simple jump stop can prevent most charges. Good foot work can prevent displacement by the bigs down low. Proper footwork and defensive position will eliminate hand checking. I have also been a coach for 8 years.

Thanks for letting me add my two cents!!

donaldtrump
Freshman Team

Post by donaldtrump »

So what barlowbandit is saying is a person can't complain or point out what they think refs are missing, wrong about, or letting these kids get by with unless they themselves become a ref......I don't buy that argument.......Doesn't even make sense.....smurray didn't say everyone here complaining is physically unable to ref....He said "SOME" are ..... This is AMERICA not Communist North Korea....

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

donaldtrump wrote:So what barlowbandit is saying is a person can't complain or point out what they think refs are missing, wrong about, or letting these kids get by with unless they themselves become a ref......I don't buy that argument.......Doesn't even make sense.....smurray didn't say everyone here complaining is physically unable to ref....He said "SOME" are ..... This is AMERICA not Communist North Korea....
True dat!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

thebarlowbandit wrote:
smurray wrote:

So you are telling me that every single person here who is complaining is physically unable to do the job? Yeah, not buying it. As I said, don't talk about it, be about it.
You need to read my post, that's not what I said.

thebarlowbandit
All State

donaldtrump wrote:So what barlowbandit is saying is a person can't complain or point out what they think refs are missing, wrong about, or letting these kids get by with unless they themselves become a ref......I don't buy that argument.......Doesn't even make sense.....smurray didn't say everyone here complaining is physically unable to ref....He said "SOME" are ..... This is AMERICA not Communist North Korea....

No, I'm saying there are so many who are willing to complain, but few who are willing to be part of the solution. Officials are needed, and yet all the best officials seem to be sitting at a keyboard. Every night in almost every thread someone is blaming officials for a loss.

rickoshay
SEOP

Post by rickoshay »

Been to a lot of games this season, and not a one where the ref's didn't show up to draw their pay.

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

Was at the Rock Hill @ Portsmouth game this past Friday. Great reffing in both the JV game and the varsity game. Treg Lee was one of the three man crew on the varsity, he and his two counterparts were very consistent and what I felt very good, a good called game that was called both ways. The JV game was a close game and I felt called very good as well, the Allison guy was one of the refs in that game and a younger guy whose name I don't know, but again both were spot on in my opinion.

Being a ref is a tough gig, they are a many times the scapegoat. I always tell my sons to get over the refereeing if they perceive it is bad. You just need to learn to adapt to their calls and keep playing - the game stays the same. There will always be good refs, coaches, teachers, bosses etc...Likewise there will always be not so good refs, coaches, teachers, bosses etc...Learn to deal with it!! LOL

Tri-StateYouthSports
SEOP

Post by Tri-StateYouthSports »

PopeSnoopDogThe1st wrote:Was at the Rock Hill @ Portsmouth game this past Friday. Great reffing in both the JV game and the varsity game. Treg Lee was one of the three man crew on the varsity, he and his two counterparts were very consistent and what I felt very good, a good called game that was called both ways. The JV game was a close game and I felt called very good as well, the Allison guy was one of the refs in that game and a younger guy whose name I don't know, but again both were spot on in my opinion.

Being a ref is a tough gig, they are a many times the scapegoat. I always tell my sons to get over the refereeing if they perceive it is bad. You just need to learn to adapt to their calls and keep playing - the game stays the same. There will always be good refs, coaches, teachers, bosses etc...Likewise there will always be not so good refs, coaches, teachers, bosses etc...Learn to deal with it!! LOL
One of my favorite quotes.
“Don’t allow things that you can’t control, affect things that you can control.”

Post by formerfcfan »

PopeSnoopDogThe1st wrote:Was at the Rock Hill @ Portsmouth game this past Friday. Great reffing in both the JV game and the varsity game. Treg Lee was one of the three man crew on the varsity, he and his two counterparts were very consistent and what I felt very good, a good called game that was called both ways. The JV game was a close game and I felt called very good as well, the Allison guy was one of the refs in that game and a younger guy whose name I don't know, but again both were spot on in my opinion.

Treg Lee is a good official and an even nicer guy. I always enjoyed him reffing for us; awesome!

Transparent
Waterboy

Post by Transparent »

Tough gig. Want no part of that.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

formerfcfan wrote:

Treg Lee is a good official and an even nicer guy. I always enjoyed him reffing for us; awesome!
Is this former Buckeye, Treg Lee?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Indeed.

thebarlowbandit
All State

+1 and I applaud how you approach the topic with your children. Need more of this!!!!

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Crab's Brother wrote:
formerfcfan wrote:

Is this former Buckeye, Treg Lee?
Yes it is. Great player, great ref. Seems to be an even better person, very interactive with the players and cheerleaders seemed to truly enjoy what he was doing.

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Tri-StateYouthSports wrote:

One of my favorite quotes.
“Don’t allow things that you can’t control, affect things that you can control.”

Spot on!!

Preppy
Waterboy

Post by Preppy »

Something I do not want any part of. My skin is not thick enough to take the verbal abuse that is given out to these crews every night now days.
I agree with Ironman92; I have seen Phipps & his crew multiple times & I also think they are one of the better crews around. Bub Norris, the young Derrow kid & their crew I also think do a nice job. And most recent I watched Wells, Linkus & I think the other guy announced was Jones? I only seen them the one game but thought they did a very nice job also. There are alot a lot of negative I have seen this year but I will not post any names on the negative side of things.

Return to “Boys Basketball”