TVC-Ohio 09-10 Scores and Standings

Who wins?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:17 pm

Total votes: 0

Spartan
All Conference

Re: TVC-Ohio 09-10 Thoughts and Predictions

Post by Spartan »

I think Athens has a shot as well, but so does Belpre , Alexander, and the most dominant team in the tvc the past several years, the VC Vikings. Its theirs until somebody else proves otherwise.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

AxGrinder wrote:After watching the Athens Shriner's Preview last night, I think some of you may want to change your vote. I think many of you are over estimating Vinton and under estimating Athens. Should be an interesting season. May the games begin. This fan can't wait.

I really wish VC played Southern in the regular season this year... They would actually run plays and have the best players on the floor! haha...this game was basically a JV game for VC...only 2-3 varsity players on the floor at all times. IF VC wouldve played it like Athens or Belpre...then the starting 5 wouldve played the entire 1st qtr...Coach Combs didnt even get off of his seat! lol...when he doesnt get excited...then you know its a throw away. Southern has talent and from what ive heard so does Fed Hock and Eastern...should be a good year in both sides of the League! Number 20 from Belpre is a very good shooter! And number 3 looks like a pesky defender that could cause some opponents fits when bringing the ball up the floor. Athens looked strong overall with good size and speed to go with it. Didnt get to see Alex, Meigs, NY or Wellston though...anyone see these teams? I think VC set out to do exactly what they wanted too...not show a darn thing..i just thought more people wouldve realized it when Ethan Allen doesnt start and Andy Grillo jumps for the oppening possesion!! lol...Hes our Point Guard for those who dont know! Lol...and to top it off...we actually got the tip!! Maybe Combs is on to something there! lol

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Good health to all the teams. In another 5 days, the preview will be erased from our memories, except for the sweat suit and ball caps maybe. :-D

camreei1
Waterboy

Post by camreei1 »

Just from watching the two teams play at the preview, I don't believe VC has the athletes that Athens does. They don't have anyone that can contain Pfaff.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

camreei1 wrote:Just from watching the two teams play at the preview, I don't believe VC has the athletes that Athens does. They don't have anyone that can contain Pfaff.

VC and Athens return practically the same teams they had last year. VC also did not make an effort in the preview...no plays were ran..2-3 jv players were on the floor the entire time. I think VC and Athens will be a heck of a battle this year...but i wouldnt be quick to say that Athens is the better team...last year Alex was favored by a large margin over VC in the first matchup...only to see VC win by 7 or 8 points @ Alex. Athens has a great team...no doubt about that!! We will see in a few short weeks who wants it more! Cant wait!!!

camreei1
Waterboy

Post by camreei1 »

I agree Dundas. Looking forward to the game.

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

That's funny, When VC was down in the 2nd qtr Combs put in all 5 of his best players, started pressing and he was yelling and giving us his usual painful grimace. I don't think he played to win the entire preview, but he certainly didn't want to lose at the end. Just my opinion.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

No he didn't, but yes on the painful grimace, but that was more of an reflection of the way the Vikings played. And no he didn't want to lose, but he wasn't going to coach to win, it was a freaking preview.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

AxGrinder wrote:That's funny, When VC was down in the 2nd qtr Combs put in all 5 of his best players, started pressing and he was yelling and giving us his usual painful grimace. I don't think he played to win the entire preview, but he certainly didn't want to lose at the end. Just my opinion.

If you believe a freshman and two sophomores are part of combs' best 5...then you are mistaken. Never did Combs yell or get excited (if you think he was..come to a real game!) Also, if Combs wanted to win at the end, dont you think he woulve actually ran a play or two?? Ive seen Coach Combs a few times, and this game did not matter to him. The only thing that mattered was getting out of it injury free! Like i said before...i really wish VC played Southern in the regular season...

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Post by popcorn phil »

I do think Vinton Co. has the inside track to winning the ohio but i will say that there is NO WAY this team goes undefeated in the league again. It should be a dogfight this year. Vinton has a good team but they are not great by any stretch of the imagination and will have to bring their A game pretty much every night.

CoyDuke
Freshman Team

Post by CoyDuke »

I do think Vinton Co. has the inside track to winning the ohio but i will say that there is NO WAY this team goes undefeated in the league again. It should be a dogfight this year. Vinton has a good team but they are not great by any stretch of the imagination and will have to bring their A game pretty much every night.

I agree that this year's league champion will most likely not be an undefeated team. It seems that Athens and Belpre have the best players in the conference, but last year Athens and Alexander did and neither team finished 1st. As we all know, other factors figure in.

Gregg811
Varsity

Post by Gregg811 »

GO EAGLES!!!

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

I think VC will surprise teams this year because they ARE BETTER THAN LAST YEARS TEAM. Allen, Grillo and Guthrie will be the foundation as seniors but they also have a very, very strong bench. They lose very little when they substitue. I see them playing close in the 1st half of most games and pulling away in the 2nd. They as always will play a pressure "D" causing a ton of turnovers, which will lead to easy transition buckets. With that being said, I feel Athens and Belpre will also be improved. Cant wait for VC's league opener at Belpre. Should answer a lot of questions.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

popcorn phil wrote:I do think Vinton Co. has the inside track to winning the ohio but i will say that there is NO WAY this team goes undefeated in the league again. It should be a dogfight this year. Vinton has a good team but they are not great by any stretch of the imagination and will have to bring their A game pretty much every night.

So a team that is better than the previous (18-4 overall (12-0) TVC) is good..but not great...hmmmmm.

I think you have your logic backwards...i think that VC is great..better than last year by far...great, not good....also Athens has become more experianced and Belpre has a team that could surprise people...so yes the league will be more competitve this year than in past years...but its not because VC is down, weak, or unathletic...its because the rest of the TVC is better than before....VC will do what they do...and none of this doubting how good VC is started untill after the preview...lol...VC didnt come to the preview to win...VC took down a Warren team in what was basically a 'real' game. VC will have more competition this year than in the past...but your right Blugrass....VC will show everyone just how good they are @ Belpre.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

You'll get no aguments from me VC friends. They are the team to beat. If it is more competitive than that could be in large part by the VC program raising the bar. I dont think VC will go unbeaten in the league, but i did not think they would last year either.
I am a rabid Bulldog fan, but a realist as well. Alex and VC have been the staple in this league the last several years. Belpre is very talented, Athens has some experienced players to put on the floor, and I truly believe will be the biggest threat to the defending champions. Nelsonville York will be so much better than they were last year and we have all ( well most of us anyways) have seen our teams go to Meigs and Wellston and lose. Go TVC in your upcoming non league contests.

Go Bulldogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Re: TVC-Ohio 09-10 Scores and Standings

Post by popcorn phil »

dundas, my logic is fine. First, i think you drastically underestimate how much of a loss Prater is going to be. You have no true back to the basket player now. I do not think they will be as good as last years team which i also wouldnt term, GREAT. They might be great in terms of the TVC Ohio but that is about it. if you term this team GREAT then it is your logic that is backwards. I do think they will be pretty good but certainly dont have the horses to go undefeated this year.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

BLUEGRASSVIKE wrote:I think VC will surprise teams this year because they ARE BETTER THAN LAST YEARS TEAM.

Dundas wrote:So a team that is better than the previous (18-4 overall (12-0) TVC) is good..but not great...hmmmmm.

I think you have your logic backwards...i think that VC is great..better than last year by far...

As someone who has been to every scrimmage and just about every practice, I would NOT, ever, say that this year's edition of Vinton County Vikings is better than last year's team. I believe that we are going to miss Jake Prater more than first suspected. However, this team will NOT runaway and hide, they will show up every game and compete, do it in their own way and their own style, and more often than not, WIN, how much or even how large remains to be seen. They might not be the most athletic, or have the best players, but, I know this, these kids are winners.

popcorn phil
Freshman Team

Post by popcorn phil »

couldn't agree more hawkeye.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Time will tell...

I think the TVC as a whole this year will be much better than years past. Athens, VC, Alexander, and Belpre all have a chance to do well in the postseason and should do well in the non conference too.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

highspeed wrote:Hawkeye - I have five jokes for you in response to your last joke. I hope your dry sense of humor likes them.

#1 - A guy walked into a bar in McArthur and orders a mudslide. The bartender looks at the man and says, "You ain't from around here are ya?
No,"replies the man, "I'm from Wellston". The bartender looks at him and says, "Well, what do ya do in Wellston? " I'm a taxidermist," said the man.
The bartender, looking very bewildered asks, "What in the world is a taxidermist?
The bar got really quiet as they waited for his answer. The man answers proudly, I mount animals".
The bartender stands and gets a big smile on his face and hollers to the whole bar.
"It's okay boys, hes one of us!

#2 - The mayors office in McArthur burned down! Yep. Pert' near took out the whole trailor park. The library was a total loss too. Both books -poof up in flames and he hadn't even finished coloring one of em.

#3 - Where was the toothbrush invented? In McArthur. If it had been invented anywhere else it would have been called a teeth brush.

#4 - Did you hear that they have raised the minimum drinking age in McArthur to 32? It seems they want to keep alcohol out of the High Schools.

#5 - Did you hear about the Vinton County Lottery? ( Come on this funny)
The winner gets $3.00 a year for a million years.

LOL - Hope you enjoyed! Theres plenty more from where those came from.

Those are pretty good, but you forgot one.

#6 The reason Vinton County's population never grows. Every time a baby is born a man leaves the county!

I was told that by a very knowledgable college professor at Rio Grande.

Return to “Boys Basketball”