Consolidation in Scioto Co.

maintenanceman
Riding the Bench

Re: Consolidation in Scioto Co.

Post by maintenanceman »

I REALLY like the idea of consolidation. Clay, Green, and New Boston are really, really small and that limits the amount of funds they are given per student does not give them the opportunity to best serve their students academically. Not saying that these aren't great schools, just that the small number of students hurts the programs that can be offered.

The new schools being built provide the perfect place for future junior high and elementary schools with the larger schools being high schools (probably needing some potential renovations).

So:

Minford + Valley + Northwest + Part of Clay = School would be at the current location of the Northwest schools. A new elementary and/or middle could be built in the Otway area and kids from the Northwest District could go there with Minford and Valley Schools serving as other elementary and high schools. Also,

Portsmouth absorbs Clay and New Boston = Portsmouth city school district expands to take in these schools and the current schools become elementary and middle schools.

West = Kind of isolated, stays on its own

Burg + Green = Burg absorbs Green with green schools being elementary/middles

South Webster = Another sort of isolated school district could absorb some of the Burg and Minford districts to make things a little easier for consolidation.

What this does = Now, every school can have a wide range of sports as well as extra curricular activities not currently present in the schools. AP programs can be more easily implemented and there is more money for both sports and academics.

I personally don't think Scioto County can survive with 12 high schools.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

12 School Districts with 12 Supt and Treasures + the Vocational School. The administration alone should prompt the consolidation.
That is over 1.5 million dollars spent on 24 positions. I am sure that consolidtion would make for more academic opportunities. The problem is the can't see past their athletic blinders.
Pike, Jackson, and Adams Co are in the same situation. Waste of Money.
Last edited by bengalfan76 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maintenanceman
Riding the Bench

Post by maintenanceman »

Completely agree...consolidation puts the kids of scioto county in the best position academically. That has to be the number one interest of everyone.

91raider97bobcat
JV Team

Post by 91raider97bobcat »

Mister B wrote:
alabama mike wrote:Bobby I think Vinton County is the largest school district per square mile in the state although I am not sure. I do know Northwest is second in the state in square miles or we were at one time.

Sorry Trojan, I misread the post.

According to the Ohio Department of education website, the top 3 school districts in terms of square mileage...

Switzerland of Ohio Local - 546
Adams County/Ohio Valley Local - 487
Vinton County - 416

Logan-Hocking Local is 317 square miles.

Switzerland of Ohio is Monroe County...there are 3 high schools there: Monroe Central, River and Beallsville. Adams County also has 3 schools: North Adams, Manchester, and West Union. Gaillia County is also close at 382, but that includes River Valley and South Galiia.

The four largest single high school districts are Vinton County at 416, Miami Trace at 401, Morgan at 387, and River View (Coshocton Co.) at 376.

Return to “Boys Basketball”