All State

Re: SOC previews

Post by Eaglesnest »

Who does Eastern Pike play?

TripleDouble
JV Team

Post by TripleDouble »

Eastern plays South Webster. Can't remember the time off the top of my head tho. Should be a good matchup between these two teams.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

tripledouble wrote:Eastern plays South Webster. Can't remember the time off the top of my head tho. Should be a good matchup between these two teams.

Thanks tripledouble,

Happen to know what time?

buckwheat
Riding the Bench

Post by buckwheat »

Game 1 5:00 South Webster vs Eastern
Game 2 5:40 Oak Hill vs Western
Game 3 6:20 Northwest vs Notre Dame
Game 4 7:00 Wheelersburg vs Symmes Valley
Game 5 7:40 Waverly vs Clay
Game 6 8:20 Valley vs Green
Game 7 9:00 West vs East
Game 8 9:40 Minford vs New Boston

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Just a reminder that tonight is the boys SOC previews. Should be some good matches and we will get a look at the SOC I schools who are all supposed to be having good years. Eastern vs South Webster, Symmes Valley vs Burg and Clay vs Waverly.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

;-)
Last edited by my2cents on Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

BOYS BASKETBALL: SOC boys basketball preview set
Published: Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:04 AM EST

SOUTH WEBSTER
The 2009 Southern Ohio Conference boys basketball previews are set for Friday, Nov. 27 at South Webster High School. Admission is $5. The schedule of games follows below:

The first team listed in each of the matchups, which are all SOC Division II teams, will be considered the home team. Each contest, which features an SOC I team against an SOC II team, will consist of two eight-minute quarters with a 10-minute warmup in between contests.

• 5 p.m. South Webster vs. Beaver Eastern

• 5:40 p.m. Oak Hill vs. Western

• 6:20 p.m. Northwest vs. Portsmouth Notre Dame

• 7 p.m. Wheelersburg vs. Symmes Valley

• 7:40 p.m. Waverly vs. Portsmouth Clay

• 8:20 p.m. Valley vs. F.F. Green

• 9 p.m. Portsmouth West vs. Sciotoville East

• 9:40 p.m. Minford vs. New Boston

High Plains Drifter
Freshman Team

Post by High Plains Drifter »

Would be curious of scores (if they keep them) and how some of the county teams fair against
each other.

flash
JV Team

Post by flash »

In the preview everybody plays nobody shows anything.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

South Webster over Eastern 34-27

Oak Hill over Western 45-28

Northwest over East 30-27

Symmes Valley over Wheelersburg 24-21

Clay over Waverly 27-25

Valley over Notre Dame 43-21

West over Green 28-21

Minford over New Boston 35-19.
Last edited by a_c_m on Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

dimedrop4
All State

Post by dimedrop4 »

South Webster vs Eastern Score was 34-27.

Just want to give a little evaluation on what I saw in each team tonight. I was only able to stay for the first 6 games, so if anyone has anything to add please feel free :-D

SOUTH WEBSTER
New coach again this year for the Jeeps in Steven Ater. I like what I'm seeing so far. Saw them play in a foundation game on Monday, in which they beat New Boston by 30+ and looked extremely quick and played tough, in your face defense the whole 32 minutes. Didn't play anything like they did tonight. Basically just showed up because they had to tonight. Look for great things out of the senior Loop and effective play making ability out of Scott...This team will surprise a lot of people this year...

BEAVER EASTERN
Well- balanced scoring team for the most part. Every player will get on the floor for every loose ball there is. Scrappy players, but solid defenders. As we all know, good defense will eventually lead to progressive offense.

OAK HILL
Defending State Champs...Obviously not the team they were last year, but still should have a strong season...Ondera looks as he will be one of the elite point guards in the area, and Slone & Hale both will provide good scoring. Would like to see better things out of the big guys inside than was shown tonight, but I'm sure as the season goes on Coach Persin will have them do the things it takes to get the job done...

WESTERN LATHAM
Rebuilding year for the Indians, as they lost a lot of talent last year in Shanks & company graduating. This year's team has a couple of nice spot up shooters and a couple big boys inside who can bang around and get some good offensive boards and putbacks. Should be a fairly decent team as the season goes on....

NORTHWEST
Looks as if Leslie will have the burden of carrying the team on his back this year. The other big guy showed some scoring support, but guard play needs to improve. I know this team has a couple of guys who can shoot the ball, but they need attack the basket more often to create some openings for other teammates...Wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be with the Mohawks this evening... :122248

EAST
This is a team full of quick, aggressive guards looking to score on each and every possession. Will gain a little bit of height when the Haywood kid becomes eligible, but not much. The Garrett twins are the leaders, but they obviously can't do it all. Opponents must be ready for a track meet when playing the Tartans, as they like to push the ball and get a quick score...

WHEELERSBURG
Wasn't hardly impressed with the Pirates at all this evening. Found themselves having to fight their way back into the game, as we all know Coach Barrick can make adjustments to do so easily. No real offensive threat other than Stegman. Scoring should be well balanced throughout the season. Talent level will increase when (and if) Bendolph and Shankwieler return this season.

SYMMES VALLEY
Tibbs was pretty much shut down the whole game by Burg's defense, but had some supporting cast to help the Vikings pull out a narrow win...Another scrappy team with some height and quickness. Should do well in the SOC 1 this year...

WAVERLY
Frontcourt is the heart and soul of this team. Martin & #15 do a great job of attacking and looking to score... Guard play needs to improve to balance out scoring, and ball handling needs to be more precise. Look for the Tigers to finish near the top or middle of the SOC 2....

CLAY
MUCH IMPROVED from last year's team. Good height inside, big guys really crash the boards well. With Burchett & Valentine being solid outside threats and good penetrators, it should make for some good inside-out playing. Look for the Panthers to finish at the top of the SOC 1 this year.

VALLEY
VERY impressed with the play of Utley. This kid can score from anywhere on the floor, and his play making ability opens up the offense for all of his teammates to get an open look. Notre Dame obviously wasn't a good matchup for the Indians, but nonetheless, they showed some solid winning potential for this season...

NOTRE DAME
Seemingly young, inexperienced team this year. Haven't really followed the Titans that much over the years. The team has a couple of players that do a good job looking to create some plays, but the offense never really was in sync from my perspective. I'm sure the pieces will all fall together as the season furthers and the team will only get better...

This was all the teams that I was able to see play tonight.

Overall, it looks to be another exciting, interesting year in the SOC, and I can't wait to see how each team's season unfolds. Good luck to all teams, and have a safe & healthy season of 09-10 HS Basketball!

WestBuckeye
Waterboy

Post by WestBuckeye »

Congrat's to Coach Fuller and the Symmes Valley Vikings on their win over wheelersburg! The boys played as a team and pulled off quite an upset, looking forward to a good season in the valley. We do need to improve our ball handling and work on not picking up our dribble. Good luck to all the SOC Teams this year!

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

I have been wondering if Clay was really the real deal, but after the Huntington foundation game and tonights Preview game I think they might just might be. Clay subbed in subs at the 4 minute mark in both quarters (the only team I saw who really did this) and they still defeated Waverly who never took their starters the whole first quarter.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

NEVER evaluate a team by watching previews!!

The year South Webster won the State tournament they LOST to Eastern in the previews!
My Mom asked me what had happened for them to lose?

Didn't have time to explain it to her.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

my2cents wrote:I have been wondering if Clay was really the real deal, but after the Huntington foundation game and tonights Preview game I think they might just might be. Clay subbed in subs at the 4 minute mark in both quarters (the only team I saw who really did this) and they still defeated Waverly who never took their starters the whole first quarter.

That wasn't Waverly's starting 5.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I was not there but from what I heard Waverly's starting point guard was in street clothes and the starters did not play the 2nd quarter. As someone else said, do not judge anything from these worthless previews.

live4sport
JV Team

Post by live4sport »

I think it is funny that people get so worked up over previews. I know for a fact from my own experience that coaches show ABSOLUTELY nothing that they have or plan to do during the season at the previews. Someone congratulated SV for "beating" burg last night. I'm not taking anything away from SV or suggesting that they may not beat them head to head but it wasn't a real game. I thought about that when I saw the PDT last week saying SOCII swept SOCI with the girls. It doesn't mean a thing. YES, a coach wants his kids to play well but there isn't a whole lot of coaching that goes on and there is a whole bunch of rotating and mismatching. Some teams don't even run a set offense at previews. You can't hide talent but you can hide certain things. ;-)

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

The rub that comes with the Previews is that they are usually a showcase for the SOC II teams, putting them up against the much smaller SOC I programs. I agree they don't really mean much, but they are usually one sided wins for the bigger programs, and I have seen many on here over the years talk about "another SOC II sweep".
As far as Waverly goes, I could care less if it was there starting 5 or not. They wanted to win. You can put 5 boys on a playground and they want to win. Clays best big man never played at all, and they did a wholesale 5 man sub at the 4 minute mark in both quarters.
A couple of SOC I programs got a win last night and that is great.
Last edited by my2cents on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N B Heat
Freshman Team

Post by N B Heat »

Sport No coach or player showed up last night to get a loss and yes these scores dont count for anything but in the heart of a competitor a loss is something that is never acceptable every team played for the ' W '

Return to “Boys Basketball”