Athens Bulldogs - 2009 Basketball season

How will Athens fare this season

Poll ended at Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Total votes: 0

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Athens Bulldogs - 2009 Basketball season

Post by 93Bulldog »

I may be mentally invested in the Tri-Vallley Conference ...

I may cheer for all 5 Athens County Schools ...

And I do have friendships and connections with Trimble ...

But if you happened to cut me; you will notice I still bleed Green & Gold.

As for the 2009 hoops season ... I'm about to take off my Gridiron glasses (have to wait and see if Alex wins tomorow versus Amanda though) and I'm ready to slip on the old 'Hoops' hat for the winter ... As I plan on diving head first into the trivalleyconference.com web site soon, I thought I would go ahead and get the 'Dogs 2009 thread going before I forgot.

First and most importantly ... I've got to give the Administration credit (which I'm not always quick to do with my Alma Mater) with the re-hiring of Jeff Skinner as head basketball coach ... He should have never been let-go, but that's neither now or then, he's back and a lot of people are definitley happy about it ... Sometimes it needs to be recognized that with high school sports, its not always about X's and O's or wins and losses ... Coach Skinner is a terrific man off the court and a friend to anyone who is willing to make his aquaintence ... I believe having him back leading the kids on the court is the best thing for Athens ... if you're a 'true' fan of prep sports - the kids come first and not wins or results on the court/field) ... that notion has to be fully embraced and with Coach Skinner, Athens will have that kind of character teaching and leading those kids that end up playing on the hardwoord this winter and beyond for him.

Oh yea, it doesn't hurt that coach Skinner (hum, hum) teaches defense too.

THE TEAM:

Of course I don't have a roster yet ... and just like any year, there will be surprises and new talent that springs up out of nowhere ... Ian Dixon, DeVon Sharp and Tanner Weaver did this fall on the gridiron and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few new faces running up and down the court this winter.

Going off last season - with the talent Athens has returning this year there is no reason why they couldn't contend with VC for the TVC-Ohio title ... They played the Vikings tough last year, losing both games by just a few points, even in McArthur. COLIN PFAFF will be the man leading the show for the 3rd straight year. If last year is any indication of how much a player can improve in the off-season, the league better watch out for Pfaff - the kid is a playmaker, a shooter and he can dish the rock. Anytime you have an above average Point Guard and a true low-post presence - you're in great shape and that goes for any level except maybe the pro's ... FRANK VALENTOUR was as solid of player that I have seen play down low on the block for Athens in a few years. He's 6-foor-5, maybe even 6'6, but he'e got lengthy arms and a vertical jump and a very nice little 10-foot jumper that he can hit ... Those two alone can take Athens places ... But if Coach Skinner reads that he may want to scold me the next time we speak ... Its a 'team game' with what I guess will be considered the (first year head coach at Athens) - (we may need to clarify his status and what will be the proper way to address when writting about coach Skinner) ... But its never a two-man game with him as we have seen in the past during his earlier tenure at Athens.

BEN McADOO - was a solid performer last year, can play defense against other top guards in the league and can hit the three and drive to the hoop if he has too. JIMMY HERPY - is similar to McAdoo, he can do all the above but seems to reboud well for a guard. IAN FRAMPTON was a 6-foot-1 sophomore who I'm sure has improved his game since last year. Kids make huge strides from sophormore to junior years on the court. Cordination, strength, intelligence all seem to jump during that span. JOEY STANLEY has spent the last three months punishing the opposing team on the gridiron and his 6-foot-2 frame I'm sure has got bigger, stronger due to the football training. He's actually a pretty good player on the block and really stpped it up a few times last year when Valentour fouled out or was not available for a game. COREY BUTCHER could be a real sleeper for this team this year - toward the end of last year he was really stepping up his game and sort of took over as the third option (if Matt Witten was not hitting from the outside.) I like his game, he's not real tall but can leap out of the gym and knock down the trey ... Those are the returning players from last season.

Losses (Matt Witen - SG), Anthony Sylvester, Derrick Watters and Cameron Tope ... Watters and Tope never really played the entire season. Witten will be the only real starter not returning from last seasons team.

Good luck coach Skinner ... Good luck Athens ... if anyone knows more about the team, please post it ... I'm sort of supposed to be an unbias TVC supporter now - so inside info may elude this old dog for awhile.

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Athens Bulldogs - 2009 Basketball season

Post by Dundas »

Great read 93! Good luck to your bulldogs this year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... good stuff right there 93dog ... I too agree with your assessment that Athens should NEVER have switched coaches a few years back (read: should never have let Coach Skinner go) , I too agree that Athens hoops WILL be much better served now that Coach Skinner is back court side for the Bulldogs ... Coach Skinner IS the type of coach needed in high school sports - both on and off the court - kudos to the Athens administration for correcting a "wrong" in getting Coach Skinner back as the "mentor" for the Bulldog hoops program ... Athens has good athletes, a coach who knows the game, a coach who will instill the fundamentals of the game on the AHS athletes (translation : defense WILL be taught and seen on the court in A'town ... on the downside, the king of havoc ball is now court side in Logan as an assistant - heavy sigh) ...

... best of luck this season to Coach Skinner making his first tour of duty in the TVC ... 93dog you'll be running into, interviewing, getting the scoop from Coach all season , shake his hand and wish him well from ol' pfloyd here in the land of the purple ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Floyd ... just make sure you keep one of those TOP 8 spots reserved for either the DOGS - or at least one TVC team!

You can always slip my EASTERN EAGLES in at any time too ... I've had the chance to speak with one of your favorite coaches (Howie) at least 4 or 5 times this fall (Not only is he one heck of a hoops coach, you outta see him stomping the sideline with the volleyball team!) ... Girls or not, he doesn't take the foot off the pedal one bit let me tell you ... But the few hoops chats we had, the prognosis on Eastern is pretty good - if not very good.

Im guessing ... Athens #6
Eastern #8 .... for your top 8.

camreei1
Waterboy

Post by camreei1 »

Hey those in the know. Does this look about what the roster will look like for the Bulldogs this season?

Collin Pfaff
Cori Butcher
Frank Valentour
Joey Germano
Joey Stanley
Ian Framton
Ian Dixon
Trey Harris
Ben McAdoo
Vinnie Rider
Jimmy Herpy
Dean Maffin
Josh Skinner

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Probably add Ian Dixon to that group and take Josh Skinner off, although the soph group is very good and may dress, or possibly play some as the season wears on.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

I thought the Bulldogs looked good in the scrimmage at Warren. They will be very tough in the TVC this year. As I mentioned in another post, many of the players have been in the weight room. They are strong and physical. Yes, they play defense.

camreei1
Waterboy

Post by camreei1 »

Thanks Spartan--I have Dixon in there and I figured Skinner would probably play both.

Purple Tornado
Riding the Bench

Post by Purple Tornado »

Gilligan wrote:Will they be playing Hannan in basketball too?

Really? What sport are the playing Hannan in? Football?

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Non-league - Morgan, Jackson, Sheridan, Gallipolis, Greenup Kentucky,Logan, Eastern, Trimble

No Hannan on there.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

Spartan wrote:Non-league - Morgan, Jackson, Sheridan, Gallipolis, Greenup Kentucky,Logan, Eastern, Trimble

No Hannan on there.

Hannan was in the state finals a few years ago in basketball, so I don't blame Athens for steering away from them.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Go Bulldogs!!!!! Home opener very soon Dec 4th, vs Morgan.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Non-league - Morgan, Jackson, Sheridan, Gallipolis, Greenup Kentucky,Logan, Eastern, Trimble

Anyone complaining about Athens schedule may want to find some other team to hate on .... Morgan is a very solid basketball team and has a good program ... Jackson, Gallia are D-II basketball teams, Logan is D-1, Greenup Kentucky use to be a basketball powerhouse, but I'm not sure if they still are or not ... Eastern wil be one of the best teams in Southeastern Ohio, let alone the TVC-Hocking ... and Trimble should be a descent team.

With MEIGS and VC both D-II schools in hoops, there is absolutly no room to talk bad about Athens during basketball season ... they have a tough non-league schedule, VC and Meigs are in the same division and Wellston has coach Darrow back and has potential to be descent ... Belpre has Markie Tate (possible P.O.Y. candidate) and Tyler Watkins and could be a surprise this year ... and NY, believe or not, will be very tough on the court this year.

So hopefully we don't hear any more of that bull**** about Athens playing in the TVC ... They are on equal footing as most of the teams in the league - and will be engaged in a dog fight all year to win it. Throw in the tough non-league schedule and it leaves no room - for folks who like to talk bad about Athens - to start threads about how they are participating and playing against teams who are inferior/smaller/or whatever it is they think.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens Bulldogs 2009-2010

The season outlook seems fairly pretty IMO for the Bulldogs ... One big problem will be the competition, I'm not sure who can win the Ohio this year - but I have a feeling they will win it with at least 2 maybe even 3 league losses.

Vinton County has to be considered the favorite ...

* Athens took the Vikes to the wire both times last year - and with VC losing Prater and Athens keeping its roster almost in tact, it should make for an interseting match-up this winter.

Nelsonville-York coud be a real sleeper ... Bunting is a good player who can rebound, shoot and play defense in the post ... Kline will be the big 'X' factor for the Bucks, if he can step up and play the post opposite of Bunting - it will give NY exactly what they were lacking last year ... they played everyone tough, came up short a few times and could turn the corner this year.

Belpre has a lot of talented guys back form last year, the most important being Markie Tate ... the super quick guard is a definite P.O.Y. candidate.

You can never sleep on Alexander and Wellston has their coach back so who knows what they have up their sleeve ... bottom line ... the Ohio wil be tough to win.

For ATHENS:

Colin Pfaff ... could be a P.O.Y candidate as well, especially if Athens win the league ... the 5'9 lightning rod really stepped it up last season and got even better as the seaosn went along ... He runs the floor, passes well and can bomb the three.

FRANK VALENTOUR ... The Dog's go as Frank goes ... the 6-foot-4 lengthy center has all the moves on the block, can leap out of the gym and is a smart, solid basektball player who will pass the ball. He too is a possible P.O.Y. candidate if the Bulldogs can somehow win the league.

A good PG and talented C is all you really need in high school baskteball - but Athens has more that just Pfaff & Valentour.

6'3 Joey Stanley will be good opposite of Frank down in the low post ... both of those kids really put on a lot of weight and muscle for football this fall and it should only help come hoops season.

6'3 Joey Germano - same as Stanley ... another big, tough guy in the middle.

Sleepers for Athens

6'0 senior Corey Butcher - can really shoot and can really jump ... two attributes you love to see in a basketball player.

5'9 Trey Harris - If Pfaff gets into foul trouble, its nice to know you have a kid like Trey Harris ready to step in ... not to mention he can really turn Pfaff into a better ball player by playing against him everyday in practice ... Or Harris might play a lot as a No. 2 guard.

Ian Dixon - I have never seen the kid play, but man he was super quick with pads on this fall.

Vinnie Rider ... the 6'3 reigning 2009 defensive football player of the year in the TVC-Ohio - and in the southeast D-II district - will provide Athens with as much muscle and physicality as it needs this season.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Nice job 93...

I agree with you that Athens has a great shot at the title this year. If you look at last year in the TVC...even though VC went 12-0, there were many close games. Alexander last year was the favorite for many people and VC beat them twice in two really close games. (one OT) Athens was (for most IMO) a surprise last year as they took VC to the wire in both matchups. To be honest with you, i didnt think the first matchup against Athens was going to be as close as it was. In the second matchup between the Vikes and Dogs, i felt like Athens had the edge. Kind of like VC vs. Alex. (Alex advantage IMO) VC had the upper hand after the big win in Albany..But my point is...although VC went undefeated in the leage...i think their was more parity in the TVC last year than in many of the past years. VC also strugdled against NY at home (in the first half) and had a 1 pont lead on Belpre going into the 4th qt (@ Belpre). With Belpre returning a bunch of talent...Alex had a GREAT JV squad from last year...Althens (like you said) returning every key player..VC only losing 1 starter..throw in Wellston with Key returnees..Meigs and NY who can win on any given night. (ie. Meigs over Alex last year) I think this year could be even more mixed up. The favorites have to be VC, Athens, Alex and Belpre..but the question is..if these 4 teams beat up on each other throught the year...which of these teams will get upset by the sleepers? Athens has a great non league schedule and that will only help come TVC games. Not only will Athens have a say in the TVC this year...they will have a say in the Sectional @ Logan. That Sectional will include many of the top teams in SEO...and i think Athens has a GREAT chance at advancing. Nevertheless...the TVC will be a very competitive Conference this year, and for the naysayers in football...the TVC in basketball is just as good (if not better) than any other league in SEO.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Morgan has been terrible for years and still will be. Eastern and Trimble DIV and Jackson isn't a power house. I think we fall behind Vinton County and Alex and if Belpre puts it together then they will be hard to beat. It will all come down to how Coach Skinner controls himself. We all know what's happened in the past. If he stays focused things good be very good for the Bulldogs. If he become unglued then the team will follow.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Skinner had some time to observe from the cheap seats and he appears to be an older, wiser fella ... Doing all those games for NY-TV-Cable had to have an impact with him and I'm sure he gained a lot of knowledge watching a ton of games the past few years (girls and boys) ... If I were a betting man ( and I am ) I would put a hefty penny on Coach Skinner pulling off a surprise year with the BUlldogs ... A big surprise would be a league tittle - but just a regular surprise season means he and the team will fare better than most are anticipating.

BTW .... It wasn't that long ago when Morgan was playing at the convo - ask Pfloyd about the Raiders - they may have had a few down years lately, but they were a pretty good team there for awhile.

EASTERN - I DON'T CARE IF THEY ARE D-20 - THEY ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO BEAT A LOT OF D-2 AND D-3 TEAMS AROUND HERE ... If they are not at the Convo again this year, I will be shocked.

TRIMBLE - With Guthrie, they may be a sleeper this year .. but that ATHENS/TRIMBLE game has been played since I was in school in 1993, so I don't expect that series to be going anywhere.

JACKSON - I don't think anyone said they were a powerhouse, I just mentioned them and Gallia as D-2 opponents.

CoyDuke
Freshman Team

Post by CoyDuke »

JACKSON - I don't think anyone said they were a powerhouse, I just mentioned them and Gallia as D-2 opponents.

Actually, Jackson should be rather good. They have Newsome, and Dobbins, and return several others off a team that really improved late last season.

Ace Rutter
Riding the Bench

Post by Ace Rutter »

Is the game with Hannnan on or not?

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

AssRutter wrote:Is the game with Hannnan on or not?

I think the Hannan game is in football?

Return to “Boys Basketball”