How will Athens fare this season

Poll ended at Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Total votes: 0

jiveturkey
Freshman Team

Re: Athens Bulldogs - 2009 Basketball season

Post by jiveturkey »

Heavy D wrote:
AssRutter wrote:Is the game with Hannnan on or not?

I think the Hannan game is in football?

no its supposed to be a package deal so athens has a chance to win at least one of the matchups....

PushMePullYou
Freshman Team

Post by PushMePullYou »

Athens will be reaping the benefits of Upwards Basketball for a long time to come...

Does anyone know if this league at The Plains United Methodist Church is still going on?

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

93Bulldog, Some excellent insight, as always.
Skinner will definitly turn things around for Athens. IMO, the TVC Ohio will be between Athens and Vinton County. Alex and Belpre will give both these teams a good game on their home courts although I dont see either of them being a challenge for the conference.
You touched on Jackson and I believe the Bulldogs, nor the Vikings, can afford to take the Ironmen lightly. Their coach has done some amazing work with that crew.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Don't sleep on NY either, they have alot of returning talent and Kine (6-foot-4 soph) is a year older/stronger ... Him and Conner Bunting combine to make a pretty good front court for the Bucks .... Michael Mitchel (6-foot-2) is a good ball player and so is Tyler Gooden. ... Those 4 alone can pull out some wins, if coach Kline has any more underclassmen that have developed, they should be real solid.

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

Few Things,

1. Athens is not playing Hannan. Never was even discussed. Don't know why that is being mentioned. The schedule speaks for itself. No gimmes on that 20 game sched.

2. Upward Basketball is a church affiliated organization and has nothing to do with Athens Basketball. There are several Athens teams in the Hocking Valley Biddy League that play a traveling schedule. Not sure why someone would be knocking a church organization.

3. As I said in another post, people are underestimating the Bulldogs, watch and see.

4. Since everyone wants to say what they think Coach Skinner has done over that last 4 years while not coaching, thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in: Coach has been sitting back and watching everyone realize what he already knew, he was and still is a great coach, and the best thing for Athens Basketball.

5. Go Bulldogs!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Everyone ive talked too so far basically has VC and Athens at the top of their list...so im not sure who is underestimating them. At least everyone in VC feels that way! Ive said it since last year...Athens will be VC's biggest competition in the TVC this year...and Belpre (@Belpre) is always tough. Could be a 3 loss champion this year in the TVC....if thats the case then i deffinatly think there will be co-champs...

John Wooden
JV Team

Post by John Wooden »

Dundas wrote:Everyone ive talked too so far basically has VC and Athens at the top of their list...so im not sure who is underestimating them. At least everyone in VC feels that way! Ive said it since last year...Athens will be VC's biggest competition in the TVC this year...and Belpre (@Belpre) is always tough. Could be a 3 loss champion this year in the TVC....if thats the case then i deffinatly think there will be co-champs...

I agree with you on Vinton Co. and Athens, but I would throw Alex in the mix too.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

My Magic 8 Ball says ...

1st) Athens
2nd) V.C .... and they could possibly tie for 1st
3rd) NY (Sleeper)
4th) Belpre (Tate is a scoring machine)
5th) Meigs
6th) Alexander
7th) Wellston

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

athens78 wrote:Morgan has been terrible for years and still will be. Eastern and Trimble DIV and Jackson isn't a power house. I think we fall behind Vinton County and Alex and if Belpre puts it together then they will be hard to beat. It will all come down to how Coach Skinner controls himself. We all know what's happened in the past. If he stays focused things good be very good for the Bulldogs. If he become unglued then the team will follow.

Don't start this crap over here 78, you need to be more concerned with keeping the city streets of Athens clean, and you keep grinding this ax because the only time your son got to play is when you were the coach. Enough!

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

Pol Pot wrote:
athens78 wrote:Morgan has been terrible for years and still will be. Eastern and Trimble DIV and Jackson isn't a power house. I think we fall behind Vinton County and Alex and if Belpre puts it together then they will be hard to beat. It will all come down to how Coach Skinner controls himself. We all know what's happened in the past. If he stays focused things good be very good for the Bulldogs. If he become unglued then the team will follow.

Don't start this crap over here 78, you need to be more concerned with keeping the city streets of Athens clean, and you keep grinding this ax because the only time your son got to play is when you were the coach. Enough!

looks like athens78 trying to get a little dig in there

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

your both a little confused.

camreei1
Waterboy

Post by camreei1 »

1. Athens
2. Vinton County
3. Belpre
4. Alexander
5. Nelsonville-York
6. Meigs
7. Wellston

Donger
Waterboy

Post by Donger »

Vinton Co will beat Athens both times they play this year again. And IMHO the games wont be close. VC lost only 1 starter from last years team and only 2 in their top 10. VC goes 8-9 deep with the same faces from last year no way Athens wins the TVC Ohio.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the winner in the TVC will come from the Athens/Belpre/Vinton County group of teams ... Athens WOULD NOT be mentioned in this group IF Coach Skinner was not in the picture ... if the Bulldogs were under last years regime - mid level team at best , only beating teams that they were physically stronger than ... under the leadership of Coach Skinner, the "structured" pressure defense that he brings to the table AND with the talent that AHS has to go with their depth - the Dawgs WILL beat teams that are on paper better ball clubs ... Belpre with the athletes they can put on the floor, the inside outside games of Tate and Sims - BHS is a major contender ... Vinton County IS the champ until someone takes the crown away - lots of perimeter talent, speed, on the ball pressure , experience, senior leadership to go with Coach Combs' "court side game" one of the best "in game" coaches you will find anywhere ... Grillo/Allen/Lawhead will give all comers fits at both ends of the floor - VC can and will be up to the challenge of defending their TVC title ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

From what I seen at the preview, VC might need some work if they plan on wining the league and beating Athens twice ... Usually Combs doesn't show much, but Southern was stillable to win 25-21 and Guthrie, Lawhead and Grillo were on the floor for more than 8:00 minutes during the 2 quarter scrimmage ....

Athens meanwhile routed Miller (which is hardly anything to brag about) but seeing PG Collin Pfaff run the show like a grizzled veteran - and seeing Valentour Slam Dunk on the kid from Miller and get fouled doing it was impressive ... I just can't see Guthrie getting up that high when the two have to square off against one another ... But the problem I see with VC compared to past teams is there short a big man (They had 6-foot-4 Prater last year) Now its just Guthrie ... Athens starts JOE STANLEY 6-FOOT-4 AND FRANK VALENTOUR 6-foot-4 .... And then has VINNIE RIDER 6-foot-3 and Joe Germano 6-foot-3 coming off the bench to relieve those two to keep em fresh ... With Butcher - looking as good as any of the Athens players at the Shrine Preview - playing along side Pfaff combined with Valentour and Stanley .... that's a pretty good line-up and I'm being 100% unbias and honest by saying that ... Ive got my TVC glasses on and will continue to wear tham all season (I've got the Trimble-Fed Hock game Friday) and most generally see other teams during the season ... I watch ATHENS, TRIMBLE AND NELSONVILLE-YORK on channel 15, but I probably won't see the Bulldogs but 3 or 4 times this year live .... Im offering pure insight into what I have seen from the Athens players thus far and their pretty darn good ....

But so is VC ... NY I think is the real sleeper and Belpre has Tate, which makes them dangerous .... It's gonna be a fun, fun league to watch this year that's for sure.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Go Bulldogs!!!!!

camreei1
Waterboy

Post by camreei1 »

What time does the JV tip-off tonight and what time would they for a Tuesday night game.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Tip off tonight is 6 pm. TVC jv tip offs are 6:30. Tuesday at Jackson is 5 freshmen, 630 jv

camreei1
Waterboy

Post by camreei1 »

Thanks Spartan - you wouldn't happen to know if any freshman are playing JV? Also, would you or anyone have a roster for the Athens freshman and/or jv?

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Athens 59, Morgan 54

Butcher 23 points ...

Valentour 18 pts, 14 rebounds, 2 blocks

Joey Stanley ... 10 pts, 7 rebounds, 3 steals

Pfaff 6 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists

Return to “Boys Basketball”