Logan 2011-2012

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Logan 2011-2012

Post by pfloyd »

... noreply66 ... imo this years group of Chiefs - particularly the first 6- are quality players, all can/will contribute at both ends of the floor ... Luke Miller, Vermillion, Mutzner, Myers, McNeal, Jourdan are all threats offensively ...add the contributions of good minutes to be had by Webb and Wotring (by the way R Webb showed that varsity experience DOES mean something - he WILL provide some inside depth for the Purple ... showed the ability to score the ball, made some really nice interior passes tonight) ...

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Glad to see the finally had refs and they got some gas money. Much better for the teams

trubbguru
Riding the Bench

Post by trubbguru »

Well Well Thats a 1st Officials getting paid to do a scrimmage at Logan. Up till now thats the way its been no pay. About time they got with the program. No matter what anyone says this is the 1st time in a long time

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... just got back from watching Coach Howie's Fed Hock Lancers in a scrimmage with my Purple Chieftains here in Logan - Howie has some BIGS! ... as usual Coach Caldwell coached the heck out of the scrimmage, time outs, coachable moments, worked the refs, threw the hat once - did all of the things those of us in Southeast Ohio have come to expect from Coach Caldwell ...

Coach has his work cut out for him for sure ... the key word for today/the rest of the season is DISCIPLINE ... being disciplined at both ends of the floor ... Fed Hock has SIZE everywhere - not just height/wing span but good bulk as well ... I initially jotted down "no perimeter scoring" BUT the Lancers DO have a couple of scorers from behind the arc to go with the BIGS inside ... the BIGS will have to work on developing "hands" - catching the ball/being strong with the ball down low/keeping it up HIGH down low/fighting the urge to put the ball on the floor down low ... Howie has the boyz working hard at both ends of the floor ...recognizing where they ARE on the floor, where they should BE on the floor ... Howie needs a floor leader, a PG who can handle pressure, make the right decisions on the floor with the ball ... Federal Hocking will be one of those team that will improve BIG TIME over the course of the season under the teaching/coaching of Coach Caldwell ...

Logan's juniors are getting better and better with each outing ... saw BIG improvement in Pat Klinger - looks to be adjusting to the speed/strength needed to play at the varsity level, showed he could put the ball on the floor, get to the rim and finish ... PK is earning himself some PT in the preseason ... Ronnie Webb continues to impress! getting position in the paint, making great interior feeds, staying under control, AND let's add to his arsenal the 3 ball - RW hit a couple of treys, one of the half court variety at the end of the quarter ... RW could have disappeared with the junior talent coming in this season BUT Webb is earning playing time showing what varsity experience can do along with his quality minutes on the court ... Gavin Jourdan stepped up his perimeter shooting today, along with Nik Wotring - hitting 4 or 5 three balls <= Nik had his best scrimmage of the preseason today vs Fed Hock ...
continues to improve on the inside with PT on the court ...Logan's depth gets better and better with every scrimmage ... Logan IF they can show discipline on the offensive end WILL be looking to make the upper tier of teams in the SEOAL earn their spots at the top ...

... scores from today's scrimmage (started out as half court, both teams going offense/then defense) ... before going fullcourt normal scrimmage WITH REFS ...

Federal Hocking 6
Logan 19

Logan 13
Federal Hocking 6

Logan 22
Federal Hocking 12

Logan 13
Federal Hocking 11

... missed the last game of the scrimmage ...

Howie has his boyz going nonstop at both ends of the floor, bringing discipline/knowledge of the game/hustle/a do it my way or not at all attitude to the TEAM hmmmmmm seems like THOSE ARE THE QUALITIES Coach Caldwell expects out of his players no matter where he is coaching ... Coach Caldwell = teacher/coach ...

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Post by Flatulence »

Good to hear john has the boys going! I will visit tomorrow's scrimmage versus grandview. You say it is at 10:00 a.m.? Hope to se you there Floyd!

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

I've heard Federal has at least one soph that can shoot the lights out of it an will play a lot so that might help.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

How did things go this morning?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... never made it to Jim's Gym to see how the Purple did vs Grandview Heights - the 7 Preview games at A'town last night did me in LOL ... going to have to wait for Flatulence to give us his assessment of the games ...

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Post by Flatulence »

Sorry, did not get to go, Christmas decorations got in the way!

Loganchiefsnation
Freshman Team

Post by Loganchiefsnation »

Grandview Hts was a more favorable test for Logan yesterday. Good size and and good pressure. All in all they split thru all the quarters. Very even throughout. Some things I saw:
*Logan will need better guard play at the point. At one point, Logan's PG turned the ball over on 5 straight trips.
*The Vermillion kid is going to be a good player. Gets to the rim, and is always around the ball
*Webb continues to get better, is not afraid to mix it up, and is not playing out of his element
*Logan does not have a true point guard, or a post player/center. They do shoot well and play in your face defense and will pose problems with their defense all year long.
*If Miller gets hot he will be dangerous. Kid can flat shoot.
*Jourdan is a solid player and should be getting more mins. He can shoot, play defense and passes well.
*Myers continues to get better each week and really plays well when hes on the floor. Good size and a mind for the game.
*Logan really will need to handle ball pressure alot better if they are going to be successful. Too many unforced errors yesterday and no changes made with the ball handlers. But this is the best group of "basketball players" they have had in a long time. They know the game, have played together for a long time and have a solid group who get after it on defense. Im looking forward to Dec. 6

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... good stuff Loganchiefsnation ... wasn't able to make the scrimmage yesterday myself ... one of THE "givens" in high school hoops is that for your team to be successful you have to have good guard play, a pg who can breakdown opposing teams full/half court pressure ... varsity pressure IS different from jv pressure as ALL the factors come together for the defense - size, athletic ability, length, quickness, strength, experience ... Logan's youngsters will need to learn in a hurry - get their feet wet quickly, make the necessary adjustments ... as you pointed out these kids have basketball backgrounds that will allow that learning curve to close quickly - sometimes experience at the varsity level IS the OJT medicine that has to be swallowed before we see improvement ... should be fun to watch this season as the youngsters "learn the varsity game" ...

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Post by Flatulence »

Pink Floyd, probably will not see you much this basketball season as my loyalties will be with the brown and orange just down the road.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Flatulence wrote:Pink Floyd, probably will not see you much this basketball season as my loyalties will be with the brown and orange just down the road.

congrads coach!!
i heard over the holiday nelsontucky's track program got a big boost.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Hope you can bring their program to the top of the TVC

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Post by Flatulence »

We will see what we can do! I have a meeting with all of the track coaches and A.D. this upcoming friday. Need to know how they do things at N-Y.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... best of luck to you Flatulence!!! wow - not sure I can even visualize you in the orange/brown and not Purple/White ...

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Post by Flatulence »

Thanks Floyd and I am quite aware that since 1979 I have been wearing the purple and white and it is with sorrow this parting is occurring.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

It is Logan's loss and the Buckeyes gain

Flatulence
Freshman Team

Post by Flatulence »

Thanks, No Reply!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo