D4 Northwest Sectional

art_vandelay
SE

Re: D4 Boys Northwest Sectional Teams and Outlook

Post by art_vandelay »

TheSportsGuy wrote:
art_vandelay wrote:
I still think Webster gets more out of losing to Oak Hill/Wheelersburg/Waverly than they do by drilling weak D4 schools (like South Gallia and New Boston this year). Will the SOC II schedule typically hurt their seed? Yep. But will it better prepare their good teams for a run to Districts/Regionals? No doubt. If I'm Webster, I'd rather be better prepared for a tourney run as opposed to having a bunch of hollow conference championship banners hanging. That's not even considering the smaller crowds/gate that would result from a SOC I schedule as opposed to a SOC II schedule.

Now if Webster's enrollment keeps dropping and they are not consistently competitive in SOC II or D4 tourney, I might reconsider. But with the talent Webster has coming from all the way down in their elementary programs, I don't see that happening anytime soon.*
I don't generally disagree with playing the tougher schedule, but that is why you schedule some of the teams from the sectional to prove that the record is deceiving. SW has typically done that these past few years. Then they need to win and control those matchups. This year they went 1-2 against the other top teams in this sectional.......Makes it tough to argue. If SW had 2-3 more losses than a few of these schools in question, but whipped up on East or Clay then I think they would have a valid argument.

The last 2 seasons SW has been drilled in their sectional game as well. Coaches can't help but factor in recent memory as well when they try to evaluate teams. I think SW, like the other top 8, could very well compete for a District title. They however, do not deserve to bumped a few spots this season. The parity between division 3 and 4 (and the SOC I and II) is greater than it perhaps has ever been. There will be no easy matchups 1-8 anyways.
Agreed on Webster last 2 years which is why I have them the 8 seed currently. I beat the drum for the Jeeps last year on here based on their tough schedule then watched them get rolled by Eastern in the sectional final. I going mostly on head-to-head and overall record in my predictions b/c I think that's how the coaches will do it. I've had a problem with that in past when SOC I down, but don't think it that big of a deal this year with best SOC I in years*

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Art_ vandelay
I agree completely with u , I think Webster benefits by being in the SOC2, I posted earlier that EasternPike would jump at the chance to switch places with Webster.

ty.stephens
Freshman Team

Post by ty.stephens »

I would imagine the SOC votes together and Peebles/Fairfield will be the 4-5 matchup.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

ty.stephens wrote:I would imagine the SOC votes together and Peebles/Fairfield will be the 4-5 matchup.
To be completely honest I don't think they will. As of today, I'm predicting it'll go like this.

1.) Clay
2.) Eastern
3.) Peebles
4.) Leesburg Fairfield
5.) Notre Dame
6.) South Webster
7.) East
8.) Western
9.) Manchester
10.) New Boston
11.) Whiteoak

I could be way off, as 3-8 still are a toss up honestly. It just depends on what coaches want what matchups and they'll go from there.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

bbjunky81 wrote:
ty.stephens wrote:I would imagine the SOC votes together and Peebles/Fairfield will be the 4-5 matchup.
To be completely honest I don't think they will. As of today, I'm predicting it'll go like this.

1.) Clay
2.) Eastern
3.) Peebles
4.) Leesburg Fairfield
5.) Notre Dame
6.) South Webster
7.) East
8.) Western
9.) Manchester
10.) New Boston
11.) Whiteoak

I could be way off, as 3-8 still are a toss up honestly. It just depends on what coaches want what matchups and they'll go from there.
NO way is SW the 6 seed.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

N2Hoops wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:

1.) Clay
2.) Eastern
3.) Peebles
4.) Leesburg Fairfield
5.) Notre Dame
6.) South Webster
7.) East
8.) Western
9.) Manchester
10.) New Boston
11.) Whiteoak

NO way is SW the 6 seed.
We are all allowed our own predictions. We shall see.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

bbjunky81 wrote:
N2Hoops wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:

1.) Clay
2.) Eastern
3.) Peebles
4.) Leesburg Fairfield
5.) Notre Dame
6.) South Webster
7.) East
8.) Western
9.) Manchester
10.) New Boston
11.) Whiteoak

NO way is SW the 6 seed.
We are all allowed our own predictions. We shall see.
Okay, Mark May. :lol:

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

Western Pike 66
Eastern pike 60

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Western24 wrote:Western Pike 66
Eastern pike 60
Big win for Western! Should definitely move them up a couple spots. Also, expect Eastern to drop a spot or 2.

They're now the 3 and maybe even the 4

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Good win for Western and tough loss for ND

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Fairfield moves to 14-5 with a 69-58 win over 9-9 D3 North Adams

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Peebles66-West Union 50. Peebles with 5 in double figures

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

Western moves to 11-7 on the year.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

What's this loss to do to Notre Dame?? Definitely a bad loss, makes 2 losses in a row with Eastern before the draw... they drop that one, perhaps they slide to the 7-8 range

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

Symmes has improved but def a bad loss for sure. At 12-6 right now with a chance to be 13-7 or 14-6 I would say the farthest the drop is the 5.

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Portsmouth Clay wins tonight 76-51 over New Boston. Stands 17-2 on season and should be top seed. Not sure where the dust settles after tonight for the others. No easy out in this sectional despite records/seeds. Should be interesting.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Tough loss for Eastern last night. Both teams played hard. Sad the refs decided this one and not the boys. Heard the foul shots in the second half were 29-8. Does anyone know if this is correct?

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

Western was 28/29 from the line and Eastern was 5/8.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

That wasn't why they lost.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Ahhh the refs! Always fun to blame them.

Return to “Boys Basketball”