Newboston at Clay 12-11-09

my2cents
S

Re: Newboston at Clay 12-11-09

Post by my2cents »

I missed the Minford game but heard they turned it over against the press the first 5 or 6 trips up the floor. They are avg 28 TO's per game. That's almost one per minute. I think Yabbadabba is exaggerting by saying they don't have an inbounds, what he probably means is they don't have one that seems to work. How else you can explain the large amount of 5 second calls, besides the fact that they never call time out when they can't get the ball in.

I saw several of the players at the girls game last night at East and watching the girls run a 1 - 3- 1 trap press and getting some TO's and steals. I asked them why they don't run a zone full court press, instead of the ineffective man to man press that they have run for the past three years. Their answer, the coach doesn't believe in zones. :122246

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Questioning the coach to the players is never a good idea? It's gonna be a long season in Pantherville.

cbaseball33
Freshman Team

Post by cbaseball33 »

Once the Panthers start playing like team instead of it being a one person show they will be fine but until then it's going to be just like last year!! Good Luck Panthers!!!

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Out of Bounds wrote:Questioning the coach to the players is never a good idea? It's gonna be a long season in Pantherville.

With a 9-34 record (26%) since Coach T has shown up, we are used to long seasons. You can back him all you want, but until you win, you are going to get criticism from the fans. I hear all this stuff about the coach doesn't make much difference, it's the players. If that is true, why ever change coaches then, and why can some coaches win wherever they go. Bottom line is, if Clay starts winning the fans will stop whining. It was sad to see the Clay/New Boston game with less than half the seats filled. Until about 4 or 5 years ago the place would have been packed for that game.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Questioning the coach is fine and everyone's right. I've done my share of it. Just don't question the coach to the players. The players have to face the guy every night. Kids are smart, they will come up with they're own questions. They don't need outside influences giving them even more reasons to question him and not respect him. Love him or hate him, the board hired him for the season. He's your coach this year, let the kids form their own opinions.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

This website was set up for people to discuss what is good and bad about area teams. So you are going to see complaints about coaches on here. The kids read this stuff and they talk to each other and their parents. They also have knowledge of the game. While I agree you have to support your coach and go with what he is trying to do, but there comes a point when if it is not working, you need to change, and that is the frustration. I was told by an opposing coach last year that all he needs to do to prepare for Clay is to watch last years film.
I keep hearing that this team doesn't have any talent. The senior class lost one game 7th, 8th and 9th grade winning over 95% of their games but have won 25% in the past three years, the Jr class was winning at 80%. So what changed?
My main complaint is the idea that "We don't play zone". Clay doesn't have the speed with the big men they have to play man to man all the time, and yet that is all they play. They are told zone is weak and ineffective and colleges play man to man.

PS. I heard Portsmouth played a lot of zone against the Burg. Hmmmmm..........

Return to “Boys Basketball”