Scoring decision, who knows the rule?

my2cents
S

Scoring decision, who knows the rule?

Post by my2cents »

At the West vs East game last week there was an overtime period. The refs set the boys up for the jump ball, but failed to notice that they were not lined up facing the right direction. The team that won the tip drove it down and laid it in the basket. The points were awarded to the other team for the ball being shot into the wrong basket. What are the rules and how should this have been handled?

Super Fresh
Freshman Team

Re: Scoring decision, who knows the rule?

Post by Super Fresh »

Wow you would think that they would have had a do-over

riverball
JV Team

Post by riverball »

Did the refs point to the baskets before tossing the ball up? Say "Blue you're going this way and white, you're going this way?" If so, and that is the way they went, then the bucket should be awarded to the team that made the bucket.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

The players involved in the jump/tip must align themselves on the opposite side of the dividing line of their respective baskets. Otherwise, the game, or overtime in this case, can not be started. Since they played on notwithstanding the discrepancy, it depends on where control of the ball was gained. If team A had to cross the dividing line to reach the basket they scored in, an over-and-back, (dividing line) violation should have been enforced before the basket was scored.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Years ago Waverly beat Gallipolis by one point after a play like that. Gallipolis got the tip but shot at the wrong bucket. It was one of Waverly Coach Carroll Hawhee's favorite plays

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

I can see him smiling now!

John Evans
Waterboy

Post by John Evans »

The rule is if the players line up going the wrong way, the team that scores gets the points, play is stopped when reconized and the teams play at6 that right basket from that point on.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

When i did the scoreboard at Websters junior high games a few years ago, this would happen occasionally. We always restarted the clock and got it straightened out.

Super Fresh
Freshman Team

Post by Super Fresh »

I believe this happened in a girl's game a few years back between Eastern and River Valley at RV

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

This is a correctable call, the refs screwed it up. After the fact, when told by another varsitiy ref, that they blew the call. One of the refs said that they did blow the call. But he didn't feel bad because West lost by 5. You give West the 2 they scored on the court. And you take away the 2 you awarded East. Its a 1 point game. At the end of the overtime West was forced to foul. Yes East made their freethrows. But if the right call is made its a different game at the end.

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

Rule 4, Section 5, Art 4.....If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction, when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed shall count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play shall resume with each team going the proper direction based on bench location.

The officials did not handle the situtation correctly. :oops:

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

These refs should never ref again. I never liked that skinny older ref ever since I seen him ref for the first time. The guy doing our tape needs to get the tape up the OHSAA. If I could get ahold of it I would put a stamp on it and get it up there.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Cameron34Crazie34 wrote:These refs should never ref again. I never liked that skinny older ref ever since I seen him ref for the first time. The guy doing our tape needs to get the tape up the OHSAA. If I could get ahold of it I would put a stamp on it and get it up there.

Your crying over spilled milk. It was a mistake and people are human. The officials should have not blown this call. It's not a hard rule. A little preventive officiating before hand by taking your time and communicating between all three officials could have prevented it from happening. But it's a mistake. And to say they should never ref again is a mute point. I hope you don't make a mistake at your job and they just fire you on the spot!

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

If you, (referee) line them up the wrong way the points for the team who made the bucket should be awarded to that team. If they are lined up the right way and they score a bucket in the wrong goal the points will be awarded to the team whose bucket it was scored in. In both situations you should stop the game after the made bucket and get them going the right way!!! All people (officials) make mistakes!! Yes, these officials messed that situation up!!!!

Yes, the assigner does assign non-league games in the SOC. He will call usually the person who he wants to work that game. That person then will get his 2 partners and then contact the assigner who will be working that game with him. This can be a way that that crew leader will not get as many games to do the following year or may get none!!! Lets not blame this on the assigner-he had nothing to do with how these officials allowed this to happen. Remember, we are all human and WE ALL make mistakes.

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

Tossithigh wrote:Rule 4, Section 5, Art 4.....If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction, when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed shall count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play shall resume with each team going the proper direction based on bench location.

That is the same thing John Evans said.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Yes, but who listens to what John Evans has to say. ; )

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Never ref again is a little harsh, but they should be repremanded in some way. If were an SOC game it might be worth complaining about more, but West is in SOC II and East is in SOC I so it won't really make a difference in the conference anyways. I just brought it up because I thought it was a very unusual call.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

Like I said before this was the worst call, but not the only bad call. If coach Bradford wasn't a first class coach this could have gotten out way out of hand. He keep his temper, when he realized the kids were being homered. Don't those 3 do alot of Easts games?

tossithigh
Freshman Team

Post by tossithigh »

Binary wrote:
Tossithigh wrote:Rule 4, Section 5, Art 4.....If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction, when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed shall count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play shall resume with each team going the proper direction based on bench location.

That is the same thing John Evans said.

No Binary that's what the rule book said. Evans paraphrased the rule book, I quoted it word for word. What's the big deal?

catinthefurnace
Waterboy

Post by catinthefurnace »

The refs are horrible not only these three. Its not just one or two alot of them are bad. It makes it harder for the good ones.

Return to “Boys Basketball”