Freshman Team

Re: 0-3 Trimble @ 2-0 Vinton County Tues. 12/15

Post by akwhitewater »

GO NOAH!! Sounds as if the boys are having a better second half

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

N. Guthrie now with 4 fouls for the Cats.
Grillo and D. Guthrie with 3 fouls for VC.

VC-53
Trimble-51

end of 3rd.

Vikings playing VERY sloppy ball. Missing lots of close and open shots.
Very similar to the game vs John Glenn...JG held a 2 point lead going into the 4th qtr...only to see VC break it open in the 4th.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC-61
Trimble-51

Mid 4th.

8-0 run by VC..

Trimble has turned the ball over 4 times in a row...Allen now on N. Guthrie...seems to be working well for the Vikings.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC-68
Trimble-57

3 min to go 4th.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Vikings working clock now...

VC-70
Trimble-60

3 min to go.

The Vikings sure know how to close out games.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

N. Guthrie fouls out with 2:30 to go.

VC-72
Trimble-60

ball hound
Freshman Team

Post by ball hound »

I think we'll see alot of games where VC pulls away in the 4th, due to the depth of the bench.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC does have plenty of bench players to chose from...
Trimble keeping it close though. Credit the Cats for hanging tough!

VC-75
Trimble-65

1:45 to go 4th.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Vinton County-77
Trimble-66
-FINAL-

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

N. Guthrie had 14 points...all 2nd half. D. Guthrie had 18 points for VC.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Coach Combs.... "I think we played as bad as we can play. At least I hope so."

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Surprised it was that close for that long at home.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Back from an exciting game! Trimble was really hitting their 3s in the 1st qtr but VC able to keep pace with the score. 2nd qtr went back and forth, Trimble outrebounding VC. If VC would have sank half the shots they missed in the first half, this game would have been over early on. VC came alive in the second half, but Trimble never let them pull away. VC had one of their best nights, in a couple of years, in the steal catagory, but Trimble was able to keep it close with the rebounding. The 4th qtr was where VC was able to pull away with steals and Trimble fouls. Final score was 77-66. Both Guthries had, I believe, 4 fouls. Every VC player had steals.

Frankie G, good to see you at the game.

warningtrackpower
All Conference

Post by warningtrackpower »

You could tell Coach Combs wasn't pleased with his team's overall performance, but he also gave credit to Trimble two or three times during his interview.

TOMCAT_FAN
Waterboy

Post by TOMCAT_FAN »

Trimble hung tough tonight....
Noah Guthrie easily would/could have changed this game had he not been saddled with fouls.... very poor officiating when it came to the calls on the CATS big boy....sad. I wager to say the game may have turned out differently if this was not the case.
Congrats to the Vikings win regardless....CATS continue to impress nah-sayers.

GO CATS!
:aaaaa26 :aaaaa26

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

^^^ You must have watched a different game than me. No officiating is ever perfect, but overall, they did a decent job. Game could have been a blowout if VC would have just connected on a third of their missed 2 pointers. Dyl Guthrie had 4 fouls also. Not tryin to pick a fight, but no one ever likes the officials when they dont win. I learned a long time ago, if I was to ever enjoy watching any high school sport, I better get over the officiating or go get certified and become one.

TOMCAT_FAN
Waterboy

Post by TOMCAT_FAN »

Come on, we watched the same game. I am not picking a fight. I respect that the Vikings didn't connect on many shots and didn't play to their full potential. But neither did the Cats! And with N. Guthrie NOT on the floor made a HUGE difference. Now that you had to have noticed - right? Not all calls were perfect, I am not naive to think they could be. But I think you would agree, Guthrie didn't commit the fouls he was charged with and Trimble did a great job considering they played a 9+ deep Vinton bench.

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

TOMCAT_FAN wrote:Come on, we watched the same game. I am not picking a fight. I respect that the Vikings didn't connect on many shots and didn't play to their full potential. But neither did the Cats! And with N. Guthrie NOT on the floor made a HUGE difference. Now that you had to have noticed - right? Not all calls were perfect, I am not naive to think they could be. But I think you would agree, Guthrie didn't commit the fouls he was charged with and Trimble did a great job considering they played a 9+ deep Vinton bench.

The only foul that was an "iffy" call was the second one on N.Gutherie, the moving pick foul was a very BAD call, but the Tomcats played the Vikes very tough WITHOUT their big guy in, so NO I did not notice him making a HUGE difference. Why would you take that away from the rest of the team???? N.Guthrie seems to have foul trouble EVERYWHERE he plays, is it ALWAYS because of the ref's? And IF a frog had wings.........yada yada........
The better team prevailed.

TOMCAT_FAN
Waterboy

Post by TOMCAT_FAN »

NOT taking away from the team as a whole - my comments were not meant to imply that. Foul trouble EVERYWHERE? and ALWAYS? It is only game 4. No it isn't always the ref's.

Your opinion only one iffy...my opinion three.....and TRIMBLE once again, as I said before (as a team) played well considering V/C DEEP BENCH which plays a part as well.

GO CATS!
:aaaaa26

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

warningtrackpower wrote:You could tell Coach Combs wasn't pleased with his team's overall performance, but he also gave credit to Trimble two or three times during his interview.

Right after the game, when the kids had finished shaking hands, Coach Combs was already gesturing to his kids to get into the locker and he didn't look happy at all. I'm guessing they're weren't any group hugs and singing of Kum Bah Ya in the Viking locker room.

The group of refs were out of the Central Ohio District and I've seen two of them do many games. Actually, the third ref in that crew, for whatever reason, wasn't working last night. They called a pretty tight game both ways. Noah Guthrie getting into foul trouble early in the first half created a mis match for Trimble, but you gotta give the Tomcats some props for the way they hung with VC. I thought the new Trimble coach did a nice job. While Trimble's squad isn't really deep, they're pretty well coached and shouldn't be taken lightly by anyone. They got some decent perimeter shooters, make pretty good decisions, and if Noah Guthrie stays out of foul trouble, this team could make some noise.

After showing some occasional signs of playing good ball against John Glenn last Saturday, VC collectively looked unfocused and uninspired(and that's not to take anything away from Trimble). Too many silly fouls caused by players not being where they should've been in the first place, very poor shot selection, and in general....uninspired play.

I hope VC gets there act together between now and Friday, they got a very tough test on the road at Belpre. Best of luck to the Tomcats.

Return to “Boys Basketball”