Athens @ Vinton County 12/22

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Athens @ Vinton County 12/22

Post by Dundas »

7 seconds to go.

First shot is good. 52-49...Second shot is good 53-49.

Timeout Athens.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Athens-53
VC-51

1.1 seconds to go.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Athens upsets VC...

Athens-53
VC-51
-FINAL-

Athens threw the inbound all the way down the court into the hands of Guthrie...Combs called timeout but wasnt givin it. Game over. 36 game TVC streak snapped. wow...

bulldog0909
Freshman Team

Post by bulldog0909 »

NICE!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

nice win for the Bulldogs

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

Athens again had a great plan and stuck with it the entire game, controlling the pace and just about every other aspect of the game. VC played from behind all night. I am very impressed with how patient the Athens offense has been. Nice work. Not a bad start.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

WOW! What a game to watch. These two teams are very evenly matched. Was a dogfight to the end. There will be folks saying if this had happened or that hadnt happened, but the truth is that both teams had their cold streaks, both had good calls against them and both had questionable calls against them. Both teams had their bad moments of not rebounding very well. Matter of fact, there was alot of wrestling matches by both teams, on the rebounding. I suspect that when these two meet again, in Athens, we will see another dogfight. Congratulations to the Bulldogs, you definitly earned this one. To the Vikings squad: You guys played one heck of a good game, you have nothing to hang your heads about.
From what I witnessed tonight, these two teams could play each other 10 times and it wouldnt suprise me one bit if the games were split 5-5.
Congrats also to the Vikes JV boyz and the Vikes Freshman teams.

93Bulldog and pfloyd, It was nice to meet you both and hope next time we meet, we have more time to chat.
Last edited by Space Cowboy on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

Good analysis of the game Space Cowboy. I agree with that 100%.

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

This was an awesome game. Both teams played tough but the Bulldogs who pretty much controlled the entire game, came out on top. To those of you stating how VC was being underestimated, I believe you all underestimated the Bulldogs. As I stated earlier, if Athens, played undercontrol, stayed patient, they would win. And they did. What a big win it was.

As for the time out at the end, you can't give a coach a timeout when the ball is in the air. Guthrie caught the ball and threw it all in the same motion. THere was only 1.1 sec. left on the clock (Which by the way there really was 0.1 sec. but Combs cried to get time added on the clock. Who adds time to the clock in HS bball????) therefore there is no way there was any time for the ref to even consider giving him a TO.

Big Game for the Bulldogs. Keep the streak alive.

Happy Holidays!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... give this one to Coach Skinner - the dawgs controlled the tempo of the game "the entire game" ... patience on the offensive end, AHS didn't get rattled when Adam Ward took VC on his back in the 3rd and 4th quarters hitting 3 deep treys (13 points in the half) , throw in a couple of 3 balls by Steven Thompson (6 points in the half) and VC took its first lead of the night 39-37 with 6:42 of the 4th ... Coach Skinner called a couple key time outs down the stretch helped the Bulldogs keep their composure ... Coach had the game plan the players did a great job executing it ... BIG DIFFERENCE from last years AHS team - it starts with the man in charge court side ... it shows in the teams play on the court ... a BIG time game from Cori Butcher in leading Athens with 20 points on the night /Valentour 14/Pfaff 9 (3 treys)/ Maffin 7 ( 2 sencond half 3 pointers)/Stanley finished the AHS scoring with 3 points ... congratulations to the Bulldogs ...

... good to get a chance to talk some hoops with 93dog ... pleasure to meet up with Space Cowboy as well ... great high school basketball game ... should be a dandy when these 2 fine teams meet for the second time in A'town on January 29th ...

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

How many greenbacks did dog give you to move his teams up on your list???

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... LOL Ozzie !!! - that would be officially called "a donation" lol ... 93dog behaved himself he was on the clock covering the game for the Athens paper ...

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Dundas,

Eat your crow and move on big boy. The Dogs entered the last timeout with .1 on the clock and came out of it with 1.1 on it.

Without all the 3 bombs falling the Dogs would have pulled away . Great game by both teams. Athens played VC the way they needed to to win.The rematch in Athens will be awesome I am sure.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Kinda throws a log into pfloyd's ability to compare scores! lol Who knows how good anyone is this time of year!

Congrats to Athens on the huge win.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Space Cowboy wrote:WOW! What a game to watch. These two teams are very evenly matched. Was a dogfight to the end. There will be folks saying if this had happened or that hadnt happened, but the truth is that both teams had their cold streaks, both had good calls against them and both had questionable calls against them. Both teams had their bad moments of not rebounding very well. Matter of fact, there was alot of wrestling matches by both teams, on the rebounding. I suspect that when these two meet again, in Athens, we will see another dogfight. Congratulations to the Bulldogs, you definitly earned this one. To the Vikings squad: You guys played one heck of a good game, you have nothing to hang your heads about.
From what I witnessed tonight, these two teams could play each other 10 times and it wouldnt suprise me one bit if the games were split 5-5.
Congrats also to the Vikes JV boyz and the Vikes Freshman teams.

93Bulldog and pfloyd, It was nice to meet you both and hope next time we meet, we have more time to chat.

OK, it is great to know that when you go onto a thread outside of your "comfort zone" aka school, that you will get a pretty much unbiased opinion of the game, respect it, understand it, and then kind of sort through the "muck" that is thrown out, and still agree with what was posted, well, as I said, that's great!

Space Cowboy, as always, appreciate your opinions and point-of-view on things, and again, you are enlightening. Informative, not inflammatory, and pretty much to the fact. Keep those winds of Thor a blowin' cold there brother!

Sounds like a great game, with not alot to gripe about from either side.

VC losing, well, the end was inevitable, what a great ride though. Congrats to both teams on a hard fought game. HP and Judge, well guys, wish you well the rest of the season!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

The Vikings will bounce back. Believe it! The Bulldogs did what they had to do to win and give them credit, they played their style and hit shots, the Vikings didn't. To me, the Vikings lost this game in the first three minutes, they came out flat and uninspired, going down 8-0.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Steely Dan, thanks for the kudos. Cant take too much credit though, sometimes I can be emotional and biased. Wish I could get to more games and have the insight of pfloyd or 93Bulldog.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

I'm in the same boat there brother! Pfloyd is the man, period. If I hit the lottery and could stop the slave work, I'd be there, doing the same thing he's doing. So how does he do it??? ;-) ;-)

Regardless, I appreciate your p.o.v. on things and thanks for being candid, and keeping it real.
Last edited by Steely Dan on Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

AxGrinder wrote:As for the time out at the end, you can't give a coach a timeout when the ball is in the air. Guthrie caught the ball and threw it all in the same motion. THere was only 1.1 sec. left on the clock (Which by the way there really was 0.1 sec. but Combs cried to get time added on the clock. Who adds time to the clock in HS bball????) therefore there is no way there was any time for the ref to even consider giving him a TO.

I agree that Guthrie pretty much caught the ball and threw it all in the same motion, making it hard for the refs to give VC a timeout. Yes, there was 0.1 sec on the clock when it stopped, however, the timeout was called and granted before the clock stopped. Therefore, time is able to be added to the clock. I thought they got that one right. It was a good game to watch. Good luck to both teams.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Definitley one heck of a basketball game ... Pfloyd pretty much said it all - The Athens Messenger and the Jackson paper will both run the article from the game - which will provide more details about what transpired on the court Tuesday ...

Both teams IMO played outstanding ball all night ... the defenses were extremly stout for both teams, which gave little room for either team to score ... Athens was just able to make the plays and execute when it counted and that was the difference the game ... plain & simple.

Return to “Boys Basketball”