Athens @ Vinton County 12/22

Dundas
SEOPS

Re: Athens @ Vinton County 12/22

Post by Dundas »

AxGrinder wrote:This was an awesome game. Both teams played tough but the Bulldogs who pretty much controlled the entire game, came out on top. To those of you stating how VC was being underestimated, I believe you all underestimated the Bulldogs. As I stated earlier, if Athens, played undercontrol, stayed patient, they would win. And they did. What a big win it was.

As for the time out at the end, you can't give a coach a timeout when the ball is in the air. Guthrie caught the ball and threw it all in the same motion. THere was only 1.1 sec. left on the clock (Which by the way there really was 0.1 sec. but Combs cried to get time added on the clock. Who adds time to the clock in HS bball????) therefore there is no way there was any time for the ref to even consider giving him a TO.

Big Game for the Bulldogs. Keep the streak alive.

Happy Holidays!

There was time added to the clock in the Jackson/Portsmouth game...so its not all that uncommon. Athens played a great game and executed their game plan to perfection. VC didnt play very well and missed a ton of shots. I think the shooting for Athens was 50sum percent and low 40s for VC...If VC wouldve made their shots...this one wouldve went the other way...if and buts...dont get you nowhere. Ill eat my words..i have no problem with that. Athens has opened the door to overtake VC and win the TVC...can they shut it in Athens in January?? imo...this loss is going to put a fire under the Vikings rear. Watch out Southeastern.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Looks as if what most warned about will come to pass. Athens just to big for the TVC Ohio . This is only the start of this IMHO. I know its only one game ,and the season is long (too long in my opinion ) . This is only the beggining of all sports domination by a Big Fish in a small pond.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I wouldnt say that Boiler...Athens has a good pool of talent right now with quite a few seniors...next year in footbal and basketball both, they will come back down to mid level TVC. Then all talk about domination will fade away...at least untill they rise back up. VC is and has been one of if not the biggest schools (before Athens) in the TVC and there has never been any talk about that being the reason VC has done so well in basketball. I think Athens is a good fit and just because they are on top right now doesnt mean they will stay there...and if they happen to stay there, how is it any different than Logan dominating the Seoal in football or Piketon dominating the SVC in bball? Let the talkers talk, there will be parity in the TVC and the better the competition gets, the more parity you will see.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Dundas you are correct about Athens. Our jv squad seriously underperformed at VC, but VC played very very well. We will have a young club next season with very little experience, but with that said, will still be upper echelon in the league (top 3). Skinner needs to get his few jr.s as much playing time as he can afford to and then mix in this group of sophmores as jr.'s and they will be just fine. I think in many other years in Athens that Devon Sharp, jv point guard, is a starting guard for the Bulldogs, but not this year with the older Pfaff, Butcher, Maffin, Harris, McAdoo. I think that NY has a very talented group of sophmores who could battle VC, and AThens in the next two years. Alex could recover this season at the varsity level I think, but a big dropoff is in the future for them and I do not believe they will be able to compete with Athens or VC after this season.
Athens has a challenging schedule this basketball season, hopefully that will keep them sharp if it doesnt wear them down.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Our point guard needs to handle the pressure better. Vinton County made their run when they jumped two defenders at him and pressured the ball. He needs to be stronger with it. Look for more teams to take Vinton's lead and pressure him and the bulldogs. It helped Vinton create turnovers and speed up the game which is what coach skinners doesn't want to do.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

BIG FISH small pond !

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

Guess if Wellston would have won you wouldn't be saying "Big Fish is little pond" would you boilermaker? Come on.

blubomber89
Riding the Bench

Post by blubomber89 »

IMO I think that the Devon Sharp kid is ready to play now, superb skill and vision, can out jump jump many on the varsity.The thing Athens lacks is bench fire power ad scoring ability.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

No I would be laughing @ Athens because all the resources and cant win in a penny anne league like the TVC Ohio.Before all you TVC fans get on here and start on me ,think about it .This is not a strong league in any sport. Compared to others in area.

bulldog0909
Freshman Team

Post by bulldog0909 »

No I would be laughing @ Athens because all the resources and cant win in a penny anne league like the TVC Ohio.Before all you TVC fans get on here and start on me ,think about it .This is not a strong league in any sport. Compared to others in area.

Well obviously,your pretty good at stating the obvious arent you? Im pretty sure the people are well aware that the TVC is not strong,but I think basketball is where it is the strongest. Keep sippin on that Hateraid.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

We had this discussion on the football threads...lets not do it over here also... Athens joined the TVC...so what.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I didnt say I hate the league,just stated the obvious. Its one of the weakest leagues in the state.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

I have to agree it is one of the weakest league's in the State and it shows when the teams go to the playoffs or tournaments.

Solomon
Freshman Team

Post by Solomon »

I don't know how people say that. When you enter the tournament you are bound to see teams that are better than your team. Just because that better team is from a different league doesn't mean that league is better than your league. I am not sure, but VC has been the cream of the crop of the TVC and has a very good record in tournament play and against schools their size or bigger. Recently, they were beat by teams that were better than them.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Solomon wrote:I don't know how people say that. When you enter the tournament you are bound to see teams that are better than your team. Just because that better team is from a different league doesn't mean that league is better than your league. I am not sure, but VC has been the cream of the crop of the TVC and has a very good record in tournament play and against schools their size or bigger. Recently, they were beat by teams that were better than them.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, (I'm sure you will) but if your the cream of the crop in your league and keep running into better teams in the league, doesn't that mean the league is weak?

King of Kings
Freshman Team

Post by King of Kings »

If your talking about football. I have to tell you that I believe the league is weak. However, given the past tournament runs of teams in the tournament in basketball (if that is what you are basing your opinion on) I have to disagree with your assessment that the league is weak. I have many tourney games at the convo constisting of TVC and they seem to handle their own very nicely. I don't know how many times the district finals has consisted of more than one team from the TVC in both boys and girls basketball. They have to beat other teams to get that far. To further prove my point it is not the same team in the TVC every year that does this either. This means that over the years the TVC has produced some very good teams compete very well in the tournament. Don't blame all of southeastern ohio's lack of success on one league. It's not fair to the kids in those programs. Fire away in football all you want, I can't defend against that. However, the data in basketball proves otherwise.

I would like to know what exactly you are basing this opinion on. I have already disproved any use of the tournament against the TVC. Which coincidently is the best measuring stick because TVC teams get to play teams their own size from different leagues. Athens better worry about beating a pretty good Eastern team that is technically four divisions smaller than them in football and two in basketball. Personally, I hope the Eagles can knock some of that smugness out of the Bulldogs. We all know they underachieve when playing schools their own size. That doesn't relate to the entire league being weak either. :lol:

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

First of all King of Kings, all schools in the tournament play schools their own size. So no real big statement there. But if you call success getting to the district finals then I guess your point is valid saying the TVC is well represented. But odds are they should be. They have Div. 2,3 and 4 schools in your league. The TVC has been tough in the past, but in recent years I would say they have been down. I haven't done the research, but when was the last time a TVC team was in a regional final? The SOC, SEOAL and SVC have been well represented over the last 5 or so years. Not just getting to the Regionals but all the way to state. And I would call the SE having a lack of success. Getting to state is very successful.

And I am no way and Athens fan and wondering what your dislike is? I would think the TVC would welcome the Bulldogs. It gives the two bigger schools, Meigs and VC another Div. 2 opponent to help there strength of schedule which we all know is hasn't been too strong. Anyone that sits in the tournament draw room and watches the coaches plead they're cases on strength of schedule and quality wins, find it hard for VC and Meigs to do that being they are constantly playing smaller division schools.

King of Kings
Freshman Team

Post by King of Kings »

Out of bounds, it looks like you are still lost. Why can't you understand my post? It is pretty straight forward. By the way we have sent teams to the state tourney in this decade on several occasions. My point is that everyone is down around here not just the TVC. With the exception of Oak Hill consolidating an all-star team last year with some move-ins to help an already talented team, this part of the state has not faired to well. The argument is not about getting to state tourney to be successful. Athens78 stated, "that the TVC was the weakest league in the state." I disagreed with his statement and provided proof otherwise. Please feel free to read more than one post in a topic discussion in order for you to keep up and maybe, just maybe, you will be lost no more.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Solomon wrote:I don't know how people say that. When you enter the tournament you are bound to see teams that are better than your team. Just because that better team is from a different league doesn't mean that league is better than your league. I am not sure, but VC has been the cream of the crop of the TVC and has a very good record in tournament play and against schools their size or bigger. Recently, they were beat by teams that were better than them.

The Vinton County Vikings are 26-5 over the last three seasons and to date against DI or DII schools. Moreover, Coach Combs is 12-9 in Division II tournament play, including four sectional titles and a district championship, but we are still being measured by the league in which we play, astounding.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Exactly Hawkeye.

Return to “Boys Basketball”