Clay 58 Symmes Valley 56 in ot!!!

claypantherfan
All State

Clay 58 Symmes Valley 56 in ot!!!

Post by claypantherfan »

I know it isn't for a while but it is the next game for Clay that they will play so what is your thoughts on this one?

what do people thinking now after the past 3 wins
Last edited by claypantherfan on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PATTYCAKES
Freshman Team

Re: Symmes Valley @ Clay 01-05-10

Post by PATTYCAKES »

Symmes Valley by as many as the coach wants.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

These long breaks can be what a coach needs to work on some things that need improvement and to make the necessary adjustments.

Clay doesn't play in any Holiday Tourney?

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Nothing has changed with Clay in the past three years, I don't see any big changes coming over the holiday break. Clay struggled with NB, a team they should have beaten easy, and the lost to Western in a game they should have won. I don't think they will be able to stop Symmes Valley, since their defense produces very few turnovers and they are still turning the ball over 25 time per game.

callingtheshots
Waterboy

Post by callingtheshots »

I think there may be a chance, if Burchett stays hot, and the other top players can come together with their game, Clay may pull this one off. Good luck Panthers!

Waterdog
Riding the Bench

Post by Waterdog »

If Burchett is hot this game, If Lawson plays his best game ever, If Porter breaks the all time rebound record then the coach still has to call the right plays. Good Luck, Panthers, I know you deserve it . Better put a good guard on Tibbs and play some zone, that is my advice.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Burchett is not the answer, neither is Valentine, or Bussler or Porter or any one member. This team needs to start playing as a team and quit worrying about individual stats. Clay doesn't have a Tibbs who is going to carry the team with 20+ points per game, but they do have good balance. They could put 5 players in double figures and win this game, but they have to cut down on the TO's and that means going against what they are being coached to do. Keep two guards back and bring the ball up court, cut out the pass and weave until the ball in thrown away, and start playing like men underneath the basket. This team is playing too soft. They need to get angry and play like it sucks to lose.

cbaseball33
Freshman Team

Post by cbaseball33 »

As said in previous post TO's is what kills Clay. Notice they lost the game at Western by 3. If they would have cut them TO's down to about 13 or so they would have won that. Western didn't have one turnover in the 4th quarter when Clay had 6 I think. Your not going to have a game where you have no TO's no team is but Clay has to cut those TO's in half atleast if they want any chance of winning this ball game. "my2cents" is correct this is not and individual sport thats whats wrong with this Clay team they all want to do it all for themselves. If your hot then shoot the ball but if your not don't shoot the ball as much until your shots start falling just pass it off and let someone else shoot it. When you come off the bench don't go and jack up a 3 run up and down the court a little bit to get warmed up again then you can shoot the three we had a couple kids do that friday night at Western. But enough said Good Luck to the Panthers the rest of the season!!!!!

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

That's something the boys should remember from Benji Richards coaching days. Don't come cold off the bench and jack up a three in your first 10 seconds on the floor.
Csbaseball is right that if you have someone with the Hot hand, get them the ball. Since Clay doesn't seem to run any offense that gets a particular kid open for a shot that is hard sometimes, and the subbing in and out, even if you just hit 3 or 4 shots, doesn't help, but find a way to get the ball to the hot shooter.
I saw something last year that gives a hint to part of Clay's problem at their awards banquet. Awards were handed out for High Pt, Rebounds, 3 pts, FT's, but absent from the list was assists. There is not enough emphasis given on assist and that shows in the way they play. Heres a stat that stood out from last year. The lead scorer had 12 asst, the second leading scorer had 57 asst. (both guards). From there it dropped to 26 asst then under 20 asst.

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

That is a good point! On offense, assists should be 1-2 with points scored, and O-rebounds right up there too.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Well the good news is after three practices, there has been nothing new added to the program so evidently there are no problems. Thing will go on as they have for the past three years.

If that is the case, it is up to the boys to win the next game. Set your friggin picks. There are pick and roll plays but the half arsed picks don't cut it. Knock your man to the floor and get somebody open. If the coach is goint to live an die with this offense, then try your best to run it. As for shooting. look at your stats, you are 20% from the 3. Give it up. As they say, live by the three, die by the three. So far you a dying by the three. Western game you were 1 for 14. If you don't hit one of your first 3, give it up. Your big men are shooting 60%, so quit jacking up 20% three pointers. You are your own worst enemy's. If you have a teammate who can't figure this out, quit passing him the ball. Otherwise it will be anothe 5 win season. You guys should be able to pull out at least 12 wins this year. It's time to man up and play some ball!

PopCorn
Freshman Team

Post by PopCorn »

SV by ten. The full court press is tough. That is what kept them in the game with Rock Hill. Sammy Cook is what hurt them in that game. Clay's coach has been to two of the Vikings last three games and I am sure he will be considering ways to get past the Viking press with as few turnovers as possible. The Viking speed will be the difference in this game.

Enjoy coming to Clay. Great Popcorn, some of the best in the SOC!
Rock Hill also has awesome popcorn!

dimedrop4
All State

Post by dimedrop4 »

VIKINGS

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

SV by 15...

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

PopCorn wrote:SV by ten. The full court press is tough. That is what kept them in the game with Rock Hill. Sammy Cook is what hurt them in that game. Clay's coach has been to two of the Vikings last three games and I am sure he will be considering ways to get past the Viking press with as few turnovers as possible. The Viking speed will be the difference in this game.

Enjoy coming to Clay. Great Popcorn, some of the best in the SOC!
Rock Hill also has awesome popcorn!

Clay will struggle under a full court press. Coach hasn't set up anything that seems to work. Leaving the big men at half court hasn't worked for the past three years. I don't know what the answer is, but then again, I'm not being paid to coach. I do know that what they have been doing doesn't work, so without a change, I don't see Clay winning.

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

The Vikings will win by 15-20.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Sv by 10. Maybe Clay finally puts it together and turns things around. This would be a good win of they could pull it off.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Clay beat them last year at SV and they both have basically the same teams, but Valentine scored 22 points that game. Someone will need to have a great night to offset the points that Tibbs will get. Hopefully the things they have worked on over the break will kick in to gear and they can get back on track with a win to start off 2010. Good luck Clay.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

Yeah last year they was in the same boat as they were this year and they came back and beat Symmes Valley at symmes Valley

cbaseball33
Freshman Team

Post by cbaseball33 »

Clay has had some good hard practices over break. They have been running alot and working on press stuff.

Return to “Boys Basketball”