Eastern Eagles @ Athens Bulldogs 12/29/09

Spartan
All Conference

Re: Eastern Eagles @ Athens Bulldogs 12/29/09

Post by Spartan »

I would certainly agree 86. Time for both teams to move on. They have league games to play, and even if my Bulldogs would have come out on the negative end of this game, I would still say it was a very benefecial game for the Bulldogs. What a game for a Christmas break. Both teams were challenged and taken to their physical limits . The atmosphere was that of league rivals, and the players left it on the floor. All in all I would say that it was much better for both teams than beating up on some patsie. I am going to be watching the Eagles with an increased fondness after watching them this evening.
Good luck Bulldogs, lots of basketball left to play.

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

It's a shame. I get on here to read about a much anticpated match up between two of the better teams in Southeast Ohio and I have to read posts from someone calling people who are from Southern idiots, questioning one of Southeast Ohio's most respected coaches, and downgrading officiating in Meigs County (even though most of the officials that do games in Meigs County come from surrounding counties). Anyway sounds like a good game in which Athens did what they had to do in order to win; control tempo and hit foul shots down the stretch. Both teams will do very well the rest of the way. I am sure the officiating in this game was probably good, as I believe the officials from FH, if they are the ones I'm remembering, do a good job, as I have seen them do games in Meigs County.

gh123
JV Team

Post by gh123 »

AxGrinder wrote:
gh123 wrote:If Athens wins, I'll be the first to give them credit. And I have said nothing about how Athens is a bigger school...nor will I. That's an obvious fact, and it doesnt matter anyway. So in that reguard, your incinuations are incorrect. I was just saying that having seen both these teams play, it SHOULD be a close game and I give the slight edge to Eastern. And I mean that in a totally unbiased way. Yes, athens has played some tougher opponents but Eastern had a very impressive win against Hunt Ross and a win against Trimble(in trimble).. and all their other games have been utter blowouts. So, you cant get down on them for having a poor schedule when they win by 30+.

ANYWAY, I'm excited for the game. Period. We can flap our gums when this thing is over. :lol:

This was in all honesty, and AWFUL game to watch. Eastern couldn't make anything from beyond the arc. Even still they were ahead most of the game until the fourth quarter. In all honesty, I'm quite shocked the game wasn't way worse since they couldn't make a 3. Just a rough guess but I'm going to say 2-16 or 2-18 from three point range. The two they made were in the last 20 seconds of the game. Congrats to Athens on a hard fought victory. Eastern just didn't bother to show up tonight. You win some, you lose some.
Score was 45-42.

So I guess when you said you would give Athens credit if they won you really didn't mean it? I don't know what game you were watching but the one I watched was pretty good. Use all the excuses you want ("Eastern just didn't bother to show up tonight") but I think they played as well as they could given the situation.... Athens defense was just better tonight.

All that thought Eastern would just come into McAfee Gymnasium tonight and dominate, were wrong period. Thanks to those that gave Athens credit, which weren't many, we appreciate it.

Go Dawgs! Next up NY! Go Dogs Go!

"Congrats to Athens on a hard fought victory."...it was right there. Athens won...the end. There's no, "if they wouldve"...they didn't(meaning eastern). They were cold. Everyone has an off night shooting. Total congrats to Athens...they were truly the better team.

And for the record, the officials did just fine.

Shazbot
Freshman Team

Post by Shazbot »

I thought both teams played hard the entire game. We'll never know if the outcome would have been different had Eastern been hitting the outside shot or if Athens best shooter was able to play. 45-42 is in the books and I enjoyed the effort by both teams.

One note on the officials.....this was the 3rd time this season Eastern has had two of them. Once at home, once at the Convo and once at Athens. There is certainly an advantage to be familiar with the officials but my point is Eastern uses the same officials as everybody else......

Charlie hustle
Freshman Team

Post by Charlie hustle »

pfloyd wrote:... Steely Dan - you should have introduced yourself! more than glad to share hoops with anyone ... yes I did look at the "school colors and logo" for future reference of course lol ... and yes you were surrounded by the Eagles faithful ...

pfloyd steely dan was the woman dressed in maroon crying about refs from 2 weeks earlier.

diamondD1
JV Team

Post by diamondD1 »

I happen to believe that when a team is shooting "cold" they are usually cold for a reason, and that reason is typically the defense and the lack of getting very many rhythm shots. Perhaps the reason Eastern was cold is because they were shooting 5-6 feet from behind the arc or because they were having to rush many of those three-point attempts. Credit is due to the defense, and the word "cold" is often used as an excuse to not have to give the opponent credit.

We could very easily say the same thing about Athens' shooting, as Butcher, Pfaff, and (absent) Maffin typically have several more threes than they did. But they were unable to get those open looks because of Eastern's ball pressure, which by the way is some of the best I have seen.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Charlie Hustle wrote:
pfloyd steely dan was the woman dressed in maroon crying about refs from 2 weeks earlier.

There you go again. Did your English 9 teacher help you type this witty post as well? I'm sure that she's quite proud of your command of the English language and your understanding of the power of prose.

Lame, as always. You can't put together an intelligent thought to make any type of a compelling argument or rebuttal to anything that you do not like.

Why don't you go get your Dad, maybe he can help you come up with something other than a childish insult. :roll: :roll:

Oh, and my apologies to my friends from Athens and Eastern. Will try to keep the Racine squabblers off your thread from this point on.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

WAY TO GO ATHENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie hustle
Freshman Team

Post by Charlie hustle »

Steely Dan wrote:
Charlie Hustle wrote:

There you go again. Did your English 9 teacher help you type this witty post as well? I'm sure that she's quite proud of your command of the English language and your understanding of the power of prose.

Lame, as always. You can't put together an intelligent thought to make any type of a compelling argument or rebuttal to anything that you do not like.

Why don't you go get your Dad, maybe he can help you come up with something other than a childish insult. :roll: :roll:

Dad said since I am only in 8th grade not to worry about making English 9 teacher proud. He also said to ask you who was more childish me an 8th grader or you for arguing with an 8th grader.
Oh, and my apologies to my friends from Athens and Eastern. Will try to keep the Racine squabblers off your thread from this point on.

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

1st childish insult posted on this thread was made by Steely Dan by stating, "all you Southern idoiots", in the 1st sentence of a post. You have to expect a reaction when you make statements like that, whether it be from kids or adults. Well, you got what you wanted, I guess. Remember, there are good people at Southern who usually pull for other teams in the TVC, like Federal Hocking and Eastern, when they play non-league opponents. At least the insult posted was fired back at you specifically, Steely Dan, and not all Federal Hocking people in general. I am a person who wanted to read about the Eastern/Athens game, without reading insults hurled toward another school not involved in the contest.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Lets all just calm down. Every one get into a circle and hold hands(DO IT NOW!!!!) Now all together lets say " If you can't say anything nice, Don't say anything at all" ( SAY IT!!!)

Good luck to both teams the rest of the way!!!!!!

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

WOW! Upon getting back in town I get on here to read about a great game, and what do I see but a couple of Southern kids trying to hi-jack another thread. They still can't get over the fact that most teams don't hire homer officials. Anyway, looks like this was a great game between two good teams. Also a chess match between two pretty good coaches, and a well called game by Athens County officials.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

athens78 wrote:Let's just blame it on the officials. I'm still waiting for the Meigs County folks to get on here and start that. This was a hard fought game by each team and good coaching by both. Good luck to the Eagles in future games.

Yes you are not far off here. If it were Southern v. Athens I am sure you would see many posters on here crying about the officials, and telling Athens, "oh yeah, well you just wait till we get you in Racine." :lol:

Purple&Yellow Pride
Freshman Team

Post by Purple&Yellow Pride »

athens78 wrote:Steely Dan and Pfloyd are two of the most knowledgeable basketball minds in the area. I do always enjoy reading you posts and thoughts on games. Keep up the good work and posting.

Steely Dan doesnt know whether a basketball is pumped up or stuffed with feathers. His knowledge of the game comes from playing XBox. The truth is that only those of us from the cradle of basketball really know anything about the game.

Purple&Yellow Pride
Freshman Team

Post by Purple&Yellow Pride »

M0TIVAT0R wrote:
athens78 wrote:Let's just blame it on the officials. I'm still waiting for the Meigs County folks to get on here and start that. This was a hard fought game by each team and good coaching by both. Good luck to the Eagles in future games.

Yes you are not far off here. If it were Southern v. Athens I am sure you would see many posters on here crying about the officials, and telling Athens, "oh yeah, well you just wait till we get you in Racine." :lol:

Athens fans should be glad this game wasnt against Southern in racine. With the way we shoot the 3, we could beat a combined squad from both Athens and Eastern. Plus, throw in the Hill gang at our place and those wimpy little city kids would pee down their leg evry time they took the ball out. But, Athens wont play us because they are too busy scheduling games against Single A West Virginia schools......

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

^^^ Is Athens playing Parkersburg Catholic? I heard that from someone. I see Wellston is following Athens lead of scheduling Hannan, and some WV Christian schools.

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

Ok for one, Southern doesnt stand a chance against Eastern and they wouldn't stand a chance against Athens. IT is easy to knock down wide open 3's, but contested ones not so much. I think that Athens and Eastern have the 2 best defenses around and I can't wait til Eastern plays Southern because it is going to be a beatdown

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

I agree 86. Best defense I have seen all year. I look forward to following the Eagles the rest of the way.

Love it when we win and disappoint the Athens haters :-D

cg 22
JV Team

Post by cg 22 »

I see all the re re's are back in school, 86 they have made you a re too.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

cg 22 wrote:I see all the re re's are back in school, 86 they have made you a re too.

I see cg 22 must have lost some of his other names. Have'nt seen you on here under that guise lately. Good to see you bring that one back though. Can you tell us about the almost champs down in Racine again? It is always good to hear about those guys. :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”