In Your Opinion...Defense or Offense

devilfan08
Freshman Team

Re: In Your Opinion...Defense or Offense

Post by devilfan08 »

D is Good !!! But if you can't score you can't win.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

gahs4ever wrote:
Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt Aldrich put up a baseline jumper late that would have either tied the score or put Webster up had it dropped?

Holgate won on a Buzzer 3. I was there and as I recall it was tied basically the whole game, back and forth on Offense. SW however, went to the line multiple times and shot the worst free throw game of the whole season. As i recall, that season the Jeeps were a balanced mix of D and O with Justin Richardson and Robby Johnson out front and Aldrige and Decamp working inside.

Forward to 2006 where the Jeeps defense was overwhelming with Waginger and Lower getting steals all night and Decamp in the paint pulling down boards. Those guys made their Defense into an awesome offense from fast breaks. Not to mention they could shoot the lights out from 3 Land. Very common were the 40 Point spread games.

Tucker
Riding the Bench

Post by Tucker »

gahs4ever wrote:jeep80...Im sure you were at that game, as I was. Holgate did in that game what they did all season long to whoever they were playing. You might say their offense was their defense in the sense that their offense dictated tempo and it was not a tempo that the Jeeps were accustomed to playing, nor did they like it.

But what do you attribute a 34-16 Holgate advantage on the boards in spite of a 7-15 negative in turnovers? I would say that it was that defense that frustrated even the most disciplined teams into forcing shots; thus explaining the low shooting percentage and rebounding disparity.

Like I said, if that was only a one game happening, I would attribute it to something else, but Holgate made it into an art form that fans of the run and gun mentality would probably label boring; even as they were leaving with a loss after Holgate dictated their will on yet another opponent.

Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt Aldrich put up a baseline jumper late that would have either tied the score or put Webster up had it dropped?

Im so old I remember the 70's Chillicothe teams of Coach Tom Cuppett who prided themselves in denying every pass and forcing opponents to run the clock while on offense because they couldnt even get a shot off against that stifling defense. The Chilli fans got as excited seeing opponents in the Hatton gym frustrated at trying to shoot the ball as they did when Chillicothe scored themselves. A thing of beauty to see unless it was your team on the court with them!

Cuppett was a good one..They definitely got after it..He had a great player in Gerrin Veris...We scrimmaged them alot when I was at Ironton..They forced you to play hard or get abused...Geno did a nice job also after Cuppett retired ..

slamdunk
Varsity

Post by slamdunk »

devilfan08 wrote:D is Good !!! But if you can't score you can't win.

This statement is definitely true with a group I have this year. I have always been one to say that defense wins championships because I have had teams that have won championships on our great defense. BUT we also could score a little, not much but a little (lol). I have a team this year that is fantastic on the defensive end, but we are having a terrible time scoring. We are getting great shots just can not make them. So, even though our defense is really good, it would be great to be able to make some shots too.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

In every other sport I would immediatly say that the best defense is a great offense, but in basketball, I gotta say DEFENSE!

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Both, if you can't score you can't win. But no doubt you have to play intense and consistent defense every game. Defense is more important though, because it is what can put you in position to compete and win in EVERY game, not just some of the games.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

O !!! But IMO Its 24-7 how good of player do you want to be ??? Make things happen "RUN AND GUN"!!!

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Defense is the key to winning games on a constitant basis.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

38-34 You would not get my money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blaze275
Freshman Team

Post by blaze275 »

what is run and gun?

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

If I were coaching I would take a 30-28 win. A win is a win. I once heard a coach say " I would rather lose 80-78 than win 45-40." Not me baby, they keep score, the object is to win....... No style points, just the final score dictates whether it is a win or loss. Defense first.................

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

I would play any team that just played one or the other and my team would pound either one of them. Have to play both ends of the court to be successful.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

The results as of now are clearly favoring defense. People think that a team needs a combination of Offense and defense comes in at second and the offensive minded people are the minority.

Post Supporting

Defense wins games - 12
Offense is more important - 3
Combination of Offense and Defense - 4

Bricklayer
Riding the Bench

Post by Bricklayer »

The Bathtub Legend wrote:
Tobias wrote:A team can score 100 points in a ballgame, but still lose.

A team can play defense against the other team and prevent the other team from scoring. Our team can tie the other team, but our team can't lose the game.

Defense wins championships.

There is no tie in Basketball?
Bottom line is, if you cannot do both, you cannot win games. Neither is more important than the other. It takes both aspects to win a game. I believe that coaches tell their team that defense is more important to motivate them to actually play defense. Everyone would rather play offense so a little motivation is usually required to get teams into the mind set of wanting to play solid defense. I think that is why everyone claims defense to be more important, they have heard an intelligent coach say it at one time or another to motivate his team. It comes down to the simple fact that you have to stop the other team while also scoring baskets of your own. Neither single aspect will win games.

I agree to a certain extent but if you have a good defense you are bound to get turnovers. Which can demoralize a team. Look at Valley they get a lot of their points off of turnovers.

Return to “Boys Basketball”