East @ Clay 01-12-09

my2cents
S

Re: East @ Clay 01-12-09

Post by my2cents »

Now for the game

CLAY 17 22 19 12 70
EAST 9 21 16 15 61

Clay led by as much as 17 but managed to let East cut it to three by leaving 3 point shooters open. East players played hard and hit their threes to keep themselves in the game. Clay played a little 3 - 2 zone for the first time that I can remember but East shot and hit a three so they went back to the man to man which gave them many open looks at threes. Clay cut down on TO's and used two and three men to bring the ball up the floor and utilized the big men in the middle to break the press. So Coach T made a few changes but it is hard to judge against East as they are in a rebuilding year. Some good young players out there for them that will be a lot tougher down the road. With 5:40 left in the last quarter and clay up 60 to 50 they tried to stall. With a team that averages one TO per minute, that's a lot of clock to kill. They were only trying to take lay ups, and a few rimmed out. They only hit 3 or their last 9 foul shots, so they were lucky to get out with a 9 point win.

Nathan Burchette led all scorers with 23 (I have #21 Garrett with 21 points for East). For Clay Valentine had 16, Bussler and Lawson had 10 each, Delotell had 7 and Porter had 5.

The fight at the end of the game was not indicative of the good sportsmanship between the team the whole game. There was bad blood between two players and the East player found an opportunity to get a shot in on a loose ball scramble. I just watched the tape and he went for the ball, but then grabbed the Clay player around the neck from behind. Should be his last game, IMO. Not the time or place for that, it could have escalated into a bigger problem.

Congrats to Clay and good luck to the East Tartans the rest of the season.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

It was a good game that clay needed to win for sure and they came out and played hard form the start to the finish

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Congrats to Clay. Good win against a pesky East squad.

Waterdog
Riding the Bench

Post by Waterdog »

Congratulations to Clay! It was nice to have a win. As far as WWH goes. How do you comeback with such witty and empowering commments .......writing sutff like..."you need counseling, stay home, go clean bathrooms at Macdonalds," etc. We are talking about basketball, here.
Graham, your time is coming. Hang in there. We need you.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Congrats to Clay on the win. They really needed that. Hopefully that will be the shot in the arm that will help turn the season around. It's good to see they cut down on the turnovers. When you are giving another team 25+ extra looks at the basket while taking that many away from yourselfs it's hard to beat anyone.

opie7
Waterboy

Post by opie7 »

my2cents wrote:I know there has been a lot of people downing the coach at Clay, but if you had to watch this for 3 years in a row you would understand. If you have seen Clay play one game in the past three years, you have seen all there is. Nothing ever changes. I talk to people all over Southern Ohio and to a person they ask me "What the heck is going on with Clay Basketball". I know they picked him because he has some college experience, but he doesn't have the concept of small high school basketball. He believes every kid can dribble, penetrate and shoot on his own. Maybe in college that is the case, but his plan has never worked and he refuses to change it. A former coach and player told me the other night if he has to watch the dribble and weave, 1 on 5 offense of Clay on more night he is going to explode.

I'll put this out there now, because there is a storm brewing at Clay high school, parents are fed up with it, players are frustrated and fans are non-existant. We suffered thru the first two year hoping he would catch on and learn to adapt, but it is the same old same old every game. I don't even want to hear the line "don't complain and give him a chance, because it only hurts the kids and the program". I don't think the program can sink any lower and the kids don't have confidence or desire to even play anymore. Anyone who thinks he is doing a great job, please speak up an tell us what the problem is, or better yet, trade us coaches. I think the pee wee coaches could do better.

As has been said many times "He is the nicest guy you'll ever meet" and that is true, but nice guys finish last.

30 + turnovers is not the coaches fault. That's why they loose games.

cbaseball33
Freshman Team

Post by cbaseball33 »

But the boys cut down those turnovers and got a win!

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

opie7 wrote:
my2cents wrote:I know there has been a lot of people downing the coach at Clay, but if you had to watch this for 3 years in a row you would understand. If you have seen Clay play one game in the past three years, you have seen all there is. Nothing ever changes. I talk to people all over Southern Ohio and to a person they ask me "What the heck is going on with Clay Basketball". I know they picked him because he has some college experience, but he doesn't have the concept of small high school basketball. He believes every kid can dribble, penetrate and shoot on his own. Maybe in college that is the case, but his plan has never worked and he refuses to change it. A former coach and player told me the other night if he has to watch the dribble and weave, 1 on 5 offense of Clay on more night he is going to explode.

I'll put this out there now, because there is a storm brewing at Clay high school, parents are fed up with it, players are frustrated and fans are non-existant. We suffered thru the first two year hoping he would catch on and learn to adapt, but it is the same old same old every game. I don't even want to hear the line "don't complain and give him a chance, because it only hurts the kids and the program". I don't think the program can sink any lower and the kids don't have confidence or desire to even play anymore. Anyone who thinks he is doing a great job, please speak up an tell us what the problem is, or better yet, trade us coaches. I think the pee wee coaches could do better.

As has been said many times "He is the nicest guy you'll ever meet" and that is true, but nice guys finish last.

Oh really, Opie? The style of play dictated by the coach is very much responsible for the amount of TO's any team has. If you don't have a press break that works, make one boy bring the ball up court against 2 defenders, play a 1 vs 5 dribble drive frantic offense, put players out of position (like the big men at the top of the key trying to dribble and weave), have no inbounds play against pressure (Probably 10 of the Eastern TO's were on inbounds plays) you don't think these things are the coaches fault. Here's a clue for you. All he changed at the game against East was putting a big man in the middle backcourt to help break the press and give another player to inbounds the ball to, used 2 boys to bring the ball upcourt and slow downed the offense to a more team oriented style of play. These few simple changes that we have been asking for, for the past three years cut the TO's in half. I think they had around 12.

We get on the coach in here but we just want to see some adjustments made to the mistakes that cost us game after game. Last night was a start, lets see if it carrys over to Fridays game at Green and then Symmes Valley at home on Saturday.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

my2cents,
Why don't the Clay Board Of Education make you the Head Coach?? you have all the answers. What credentials do you have?? Did you play basketball in high school/college/pro or have you coached biddy/jr. high/high/college/pro??? Just curious!!!

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

CB#1 (that's a funny name and gives us a clue to your idea of sports). Do you realize that this is an open forum chat room. A place where you can state your "opinions" about such things as, uhhhhh lets say, high school sports. If that fact is escaping you, then your probably only just going to get frustrated in this forum.

BTW, just want point in my last post do you find to be incorrect. Just curious. Do you think the coach has no input on the amount of turnovers?
Last edited by my2cents on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WWH
Riding the Bench

Post by WWH »

my2cents wrote:CB#1 (that's a funny name and gives us a clue to your idea of sports). Do you realize that this is an open forum chat room. A place where you can state your "opinions" about such things as, uhhhhh lets say, high school sports. If that fact is escaping you, then your probably only just going to get frustrated in this forum.

BTW, just want point in that last post do you find to be incorrect. Just curious.

Kids read this. Give it up, dude. Your stuff is getting old and very few people want to hear it. BTW, that was very generous too.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Give what up WWH? This is a chat and opinion forum, you have added nothing but "Bathroom Humor" and drivel. I know the kids read this, they are probably writing most of it. I had you figured as one of them with the sophomoric statements you have made.

Now as for Clay, the fans, parents and players have wanted the coach to try something different and he did for the first time against East. The results were a more than half reduction in TO's. Let's hope they learn what works and what doesn't and turn things around.

WWH
Riding the Bench

Post by WWH »

my2cents wrote:Give what up WWH? This is a chat and opinion forum, you have added nothing but "Bathroom Humor" and drivel. I know the kids read this, they are probably writing most of it. I had you figured as one of them with the sophomoric statements you have made.

Now as for Clay, the fans, parents and players have wanted the coach to try something different and he did for the first time against East. The results were a more than half reduction in TO's. Let's hope they learn what works and what doesn't and turn things around.

If you know kids read this, I truely feel sorry for you. As for my efforts, I'm only trying to make you see how counter productive your statements are. Your not helping. In fact, I'm sure your hurting. If you truely care about the program and not just your kid then you'll keep your opinion to yourself. Sometimes less is more.

PS: Maybe Clay beat East because East isn't very good or at least not as good as Clay.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

my2cents,
I honestly don't think your comments are worth 2 cents. You didn't answer my question. Why hasn't the board hired you to be the coach??? It is an open forum and you are doing nothing to help the situation at Clay. Let me ask you about how much real talent is on that court every night? Out of all the teams in the SOC 1, who has less talent than Clay??? Honest answer, which I don't think you would know an honest answer if it hit you in the face!!!! Just addind my 2 cents!!!!!!

WWH
Riding the Bench

Post by WWH »

ClevelandBrowns#1 wrote:my2cents,
I honestly don't think your comments are worth 2 cents. You didn't answer my question. Why hasn't the board hired you to be the coach??? It is an open forum and you are doing nothing to help the situation at Clay. Let me ask you about how much real talent is on that court every night? Out of all the teams in the SOC 1, who has less talent than Clay??? Honest answer, which I don't think you would know an honest answer if it hit you in the face!!!! Just addind my 2 cents!!!!!!

I understand. You do know you're wasting your time, like me ???

opie7
Waterboy

Post by opie7 »

my2cents wrote:
opie7 wrote:

Oh really, Opie? The style of play dictated by the coach is very much responsible for the amount of TO's any team has. If you don't have a press break that works, make one boy bring the ball up court against 2 defenders, play a 1 vs 5 dribble drive frantic offense, put players out of position (like the big men at the top of the key trying to dribble and weave), have no inbounds play against pressure (Probably 10 of the Eastern TO's were on inbounds plays) you don't think these things are the coaches fault. Here's a clue for you. All he changed at the game against East was putting a big man in the middle backcourt to help break the press and give another player to inbounds the ball to, used 2 boys to bring the ball upcourt and slow downed the offense to a more team oriented style of play. These few simple changes that we have been asking for, for the past three years cut the TO's in half. I think they had around 12.

We get on the coach in here but we just want to see some adjustments made to the mistakes that cost us game after game. Last night was a start, lets see if it carrys over to Fridays game at Green and then Symmes Valley at home on Saturday.

Give me a break....Evindently we didn't watch the same game. The reason for the win was exactly what I was talking about. Coach put a guard at point that made good decisions with the ball, didn't try to dribble between 3 defenders, get to fansy and made good fundamental passes. The couple times the other guards run point that's when the turnovers happened.

And thiink what this site has to say changes the coaches decisions of what he does in a game. Get over yourself.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

I watched the same game, and have it on tape and we agree that the "coach made changes". That is all we are asking for. Isn't there a saying "Trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.......". We agree that Clay doesn't have a great guard to bring the ball up the floor, but the main reason for the lesser TO's was the fact that two guards brought the ball up and when pressured passed back and forth. No actually the main reason would be that he changed the press break by pulling up a big man in the middle and after Clay was able to break the press, East gave up on it. No press, No TO's.

BTW Opium7, I never insinuated that anything said in this chat room influenced the coach. Maybe he figured it out on his own.
If wht you and WWH say is correct, then there would never be any reason to change any coach at any level. Well that seems realistic! :lol:

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Well, I would say New Boston, Green, Notre Dame, East, probably Western. Symmes Valley is probably pretty even, Eastern is a little better. Now that they have won a few games, you, Opie and WWH should be ashamed of coming on here and saying they have no talent. Nothing better for a kids psyche than to tell him he's no good.

BTW, CBB, as I tried to clue you in before, this is a chat room where you post your opinions. If you can't grasp that concept you don't belong in here. That's why they haven't hired me as coach. This is the internet, not the real world. :oops:

WWH
Riding the Bench

Post by WWH »

my2cents wrote:

Well, I would say New Boston, Green, Notre Dame, East, probably Western. Symmes Valley is probably pretty even, Eastern is a little better. Now that they have won a few games, you, Opie and WWH should be ashamed of coming on here and saying they have no talent. Nothing better for a kids psyche than to tell him he's no good.

BTW, CBB, as I tried to clue you in before, this is a chat room where you post your opinions. If you can't grasp that concept you don't belong in here. That's why they haven't hired me as coach. This is the internet, not the real world. :oops:

You're worried about the kids psyche ?!?! On here slamming their coach and asking the administration to fire him ??? You're not only clueless, you're a hypocrite too. What psyche does that create ??? There are to many reasons to list as to why they havn't hire you as their coach. The least of which is, you're a fool. This is the real world !!! Kids read this. You should know better. Shame on you !!!

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”