Peebles High School- What will the South Point game bring?

740blueangoldfan
Waterboy

Re: Peebles High School- What will the South Point game bring?

Post by 740blueangoldfan »

Tough loss for the pointers.. Good game peebles

cheer 'em on
Riding the Bench

Post by cheer 'em on »

Peebles STEPPED up tonight! They had a sloppy 3rd quarter, but held it together and the big rebound near the end of the 4th by Collier was the game, IMO. All in all, Seaman took control, Collier was THE MAN on the boards, and the rest of the guys played a great game. Great defensive effort, too.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

score?

cheer 'em on
Riding the Bench

Post by cheer 'em on »

62-58

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

The Peebles JV won by about 10, Jacob Daniels was the leading scorer with 16. They are now 9-2 on the season. If I am not correct Blake Justice has now passed Marc "Meathead" Kremin for second on the Peebles all time scoring list with 1298.
Last edited by TribeManiac10 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

j_arey
Waterboy

Post by j_arey »

Just a few words on South Point. After watching them last week at the Peake against Eastern Brown I was impressed as I have been with any team this year. I know they are not getting a great deal of attention but they are the real deal. Their bigs Prater and the two Taylors are very good. Prater is an absolute load inside and the other two are active on both ends. They have three very active defensive guards along with Winkler who is a dead eye shooter and Barnes who is outstanding(he can play!). They are also well coached, very disciplined, and play extremely hard. Coach Barnes told me before the game the composite record of the teams that had beaten them was around 27-4. Now it would be 38-4 which means they play one helluva schedule and two of their earlier loses were without two starters including Winkler. Not to mention they have beaten two very good Southern Hills teams in Eastern Brown and Manchester and have remaining games against the Peake(I would pay to see both those games!) I was surprised their following wasn't larger but basketball fans from all around Southern Ohio were at the game tonight (were you there P Floyd?) including old friends Paul Wagner, Matt Nourse, and Matt Radabaugh. The Peebles crowd was also fantastic and their support was much appreciated. People that just wanted to see a good basketball game came out tonight and as Coaches Barnes and Lawhorn said it was a district level game. Southern Ohio should take note of the Pointers, they are a very good basketball team, one of the best in our area, and a team to watch.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

Congrats Peebles.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

I wonder when the last time Peebles was 11-0 to start the season?

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

my guess would be 1984.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

jchitwood wrote:my guess would be 1984.

The best starting record in over 25 years, what a great accomplishment. This could even be more special due to the success of the freshman and JV teams as well. All three levels of Peebles boys basketball have combined for 2 losses this season(Freshman 9-0?, JV 9-2,V 11-0). Goodluck Indians on your run for an outright SHL championship and a potential undefeated season.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... j_arey- pfloyd was there for both games! had Peebles fans on my left South Point fans/parents on my right lol ... things got a little "dicey" during the footb...I mean jv basketball game LOL ... the SHL doesn't need football! they have full contact basketball !!!! LOL ... the 180 miles round trip was more than worth it imo - great varsity game ... South Point was hit hard early by a Seaman/Justice 3/2 combination before SP's Barnes/Mitchell/ Winkler/Taylor spread the scoring around to draw within 3 after round 1 ... Peebles 15 Point 12 ... round 2 went the Indians as defense was the name of the game - PHS held the Pointers to but 2 fgs in the round while Peebles led by Andrew Seaman's 6 points/13 in the half opened up a 10 point lead heading into intermission ... Peebles 31 Pointers 21 ... round 3 was all South Point as the visiting Pointers played under control, not rushed or hurried by the PHS defense for SP in the 3rd scoring was well balanced ( Barnes 8/Prater 4/Cody Taylor 6/Winkler 10) ... Point defensively held Justice to 2/4 FT no fg in the quarter ... once again Andrew Seaman kept Peebles in this one as he hit for 11 round 3 points ... at the end of round 3 Pointers 49 Peebles 46 - game on ... as the final round got underway and the duo of Justice/Seaman put the Indians back in front to stay I commented to the Pointer fan beside me that it looked like the Pointers had started to get impatient again, taking some hurried shots once again with the misses from the Point and the clock on their side the Indians held of the Pointers thanks to 2 BIG plays - the first was a HUGE rebound by Eric Collier off of a Justice miss followed by an even BIGGER turnover by the Pointers with 28 seconds to play - the ball in SP possession down 55-58 one of those "the player went East while the ball went West" situations - SP never got a shot off to go for the tie ... Peebles gets the decision 62-58 over the game South Point Pointers ...

... Pfloyd Napkin Stats - South Point ...

Scoring ... Blake Barnes 20/Prater 13/Winkler 13/Cody Taylor 8/Mitchell 3/Greg Taylor 1

3-pointers ... 5/17 ... Kyle Winkler 3, Tevin Mitchell 1, Barnes 1

FTs ... 9/12

TOs ... 11 for the game

... South Point IS a very solid basketball team , as I posted - there were times when the tempo got out of THEIR control - THAT hurt them big in the first half and down the stretch ... good size , good speed all around, balanced scoring, more than one goto guy - Prater/Winkler/Barnes , outside shooting threats in Winkler/Barnes , perimeter people who can create for themselves in Barnes/Winkler ... going to be a tough matchup for Chesapeake in their 2 get togethers coming up - may have to do the unthinkable and do another road trip to the river to see one of those contests ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Peebles

Scoring ... Andrew Seaman 29 points/Justice 16/Collier 6/Countryman 6/T. McFarland 3/Trent Arey 2 ...

3-pointers ... 5/15 ... Seaman 3, Justice 1, McFarland 1

FTs ... 13/19

TOs ... 9

... my first look at the undefeated Peebles team this season - I wasn't disappointed ... enjoyed watching the great spacing, ball movement on the offensive end , outstanding passing in getting the ball to the spots on the floor where individual players wanted it/ and could do something with it on the offensive end ... the Indians have 2 big time scorers in Justice/Seaman ... overall size may be an issue BUT you can't discount the abilities of Eric Collier , Countryman, Justice, Seaman to crash the boards - impressive quickness off the floor ... Justice had an off night from the perimeter but his outside threat opened up lanes for him to get to the rim ... Seaman works as hard as anyone I've seen play all year at either end of the floor ... I look forward to seeing the Indians again at the Convo ...

... as I posted a great trip for the Pfloyd Tour down to Peebles - great crowd, excellent game even had a couple of people notice the "purple hippo" t-shirt and introduced themselves to old pfloyd ... best of luck to both of these excellent ball clubs the rest of the campaign on the Road to the Convo ...

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

pfloyd wrote:... j_arey- pfloyd was there for both games! had Peebles fans on my left South Point fans/parents on my right lol ... things got a little "dicey" during the footb...I mean jv basketball game LOL ... the SHL doesn't need football! they have full contact basketball !!!! LOL ... the 180 miles round trip was more than worth it imo - great varsity game ... South Point was hit hard early by a Seaman/Justice 3/2 combination before SP's Barnes/Mitchell/ Winkler/Taylor spread the scoring around to draw within 3 after round 1 ... Peebles 15 Point 12 ... round 2 went the Indians as defense was the name of the game - PHS held the Pointers to but 2 fgs in the round while Peebles led by Andrew Seaman's 6 points/13 in the half opened up a 10 point lead heading into intermission ... Peebles 31 Pointers 21 ... round 3 was all South Point as the visiting Pointers played under control, not rushed or hurried by the PHS defense for SP in the 3rd scoring was well balanced ( Barnes 8/Prater 4/Cody Taylor 6/Winkler 10) ... Point defensively held Justice to 2/4 FT no fg in the quarter ... once again Andrew Seaman kept Peebles in this one as he hit for 11 round 3 points ... at the end of round 3 Pointers 49 Peebles 46 - game on ... as the final round got underway and the duo of Justice/Seaman put the Indians back in front to stay I commented to the Pointer fan beside me that it looked like the Pointers had started to get impatient again, taking some hurried shots once again with the misses from the Point and the clock on their side the Indians held of the Pointers thanks to 2 BIG plays - the first was a HUGE rebound by Eric Collier off of a Justice miss followed by an even BIGGER turnover by the Pointers with 28 seconds to play - the ball in SP possession down 55-58 one of those "the player went East while the ball went West" situations - SP never got a shot off to go for the tie ... Peebles gets the decision 62-58 over the game South Point Pointers ...

... Pfloyd Napkin Stats - South Point ...

Scoring ... Blake Barnes 20/Prater 13/Winkler 13/Cody Taylor 8/Mitchell 3/Greg Taylor 1

3-pointers ... 5/17 ... Kyle Winkler 3, Tevin Mitchell 1, Barnes 1

FTs ... 9/12

TOs ... 11 for the game

... South Point IS a very solid basketball team , as I posted - there were times when the tempo got out of THEIR control - THAT hurt them big in the first half and down the stretch ... good size , good speed all around, balanced scoring, more than one goto guy - Prater/Winkler/Barnes , outside shooting threats in Winkler/Barnes , perimeter people who can create for themselves in Barnes/Winkler ... going to be a tough matchup for Chesapeake in their 2 get togethers coming up - may have to do the unthinkable and do another road trip to the river to see one of those contests ...

Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Peebles

Scoring ... Andrew Seaman 29 points/Justice 16/Collier 6/Countryman 6/T. McFarland 3/Trent Arey 2 ...

3-pointers ... 5/15 ... Seaman 3, Justice 1, McFarland 1

FTs ... 13/19

TOs ... 9

... my first look at the undefeated Peebles team this season - I wasn't disappointed ... enjoyed watching the great spacing, ball movement on the offensive end , outstanding passing in getting the ball to the spots on the floor where individual players wanted it/ and could do something with it on the offensive end ... the Indians have 2 big time scorers in Justice/Seaman ... overall size may be an issue BUT you can't discount the abilities of Eric Collier , Countryman, Justice, Seaman to crash the boards - impressive quickness off the floor ... Justice had an off night from the perimeter but his outside threat opened up lanes for him to get to the rim ... Seaman works as hard as anyone I've seen play all year at either end of the floor ... I look forward to seeing the Indians again at the Convo ...

... as I posted a great trip for the Pfloyd Tour down to Peebles - great crowd, excellent game even had a couple of people notice the "purple hippo" t-shirt and introduced themselves to old pfloyd ... best of luck to both of these excellent ball clubs the rest of the campaign on the Road to the Convo ...

Failed to spot the purple hippo at the game, im glad the trip was worthwhile though.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... com'on didn't see the Pfloyd Tour T-shirt ??? ... when I bought a program the young lady selling shirts/programs and 50/50 tickets said "and you have to be THE pfloyd" - I was flattered that anyone would recognize the "purple hippo" lol ... also as I was leaving , I walked over to shake Blake Barnes' hand as he left the floor (played a heck of a game and only a junior for SP) a gentlemen caught me and introduced himself ... so the pfloyd tour once again met some very nice high school sports fans Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ...

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

pfloyd

Hey, that was me who introduced myself to you after the game by the Pointer bench. You are dead on with your comments about the game as it was a great game to watch. The Pointers were down at one time 31-17 late in the second quarter but closed it to 10 at the half before making their run in the third quarter and eventually taking a 4 point lead at one time. Great composure by the Indians in the game to come out of this one with a win against a quality team such as South Point. Seaman had a great game for Peebles and Collier went up way high to pull the offensive board out of the air late in the game that led to a three point play by Justice. It wouldn't surprise me to see these two teams match up again in tournament play.

It sounds like the trip was well-worth it for you and it was great to put a face with a screen-name. The weekly list is something I always look forward to reading and hope to run into you somewhere down the line. I know I talked to a few people who were looking around to see if they could spot you at the game.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

Thanks for the kind words on the Pointers from j arey and PLFOYD. Sorry I had to miss it but the son had 5 games on Sat due to allstars and reg season tournament. What was his coaches think??? Anyway we may meet again against Peebles in the districts. Good Luck to Peebles on staying undefeated!

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

pfloyd...sorry I wasn't able to get you a copy of the documentary. Maybe I'll see you at the convo.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... bucknut 23 ! thank you for stopping me and introducing yourself - as you posted it's good to put a face with a screen-name ... obviously the games I go to see are THE reason for "touring" BUT the whole atmosphere surrounding the games is second to none Below the Line - the fans, student sections, the parents... just looking at the signage on the walls tells me so much about the pride that the schools, the communities have for the team(s) ... nothing like it ...last night I rolled into the Golden Arches in Peebles before the game to get a coke, walked in, looked around to see a couple of families from toddlers thru parents sporting red t-shirts/jackets ... groups of teens at tables again outfitted in red ... overheard a couple of "older gentlemen" trying to figure out what South Points record was, and what kind of size they would have - I knew I was in the right place lol ... drove into the parking lot, first thing I saw was a family of 5 - mom/dad and 3 little people ( all clad in red) heading for the entrance -mind you this was 5:05 with the JV game not starting 'til 6 pm - instant smile on my face as I thought "got to love the entire family from little people on up supporting the team" ... I thought I would be early - heck the home side was over half full ... bottom line - high school basketball in Southern Ohio - like football Friday nights in Southern Ohio - IS a way of life , I know it isn't like this in ALL towns Below the Line BUT I haven't been to many small towns in my travels which doesn't support their "kids" with a passion that the kids can feel ... outstanding, keeps me "touring" - the "games", the "people", the "kids" , the "atmosphere" there is NOTHING like it ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

jchitwood ... no problem - I KNOW Pfloyd will be making return trips to Peebles - actually an easy 180 mile round tripper - although it was interesting to see the sign telling me that I was 77 miles from Cincy - heck I was closer driving to Cincinnati than driving back to Logan LOL ... it was all good my friend ... I'm sure we will meet up somewhere along the way ...

Kickinurz
Freshman Team

Post by Kickinurz »

If I'm correct ZT goes to South Point on Feb. 2nd. A full strength ZT should pose a good matchup with South Point. I don't believe I can make this 2 hour jaunt on a Tuesday.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Kickinurz - that will be a great matchup ... with Zane Trace totally healthy now with Haynes back and contributing big ... the offensive show between Barnes and Maxwell would be worth the price of admission AND the drive ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”