Vinton Co. 9-3, (5-1) @ Athens 12-1, (6-0) ..Fri. 1/29

Dr. Naismith
Waterboy

Re: Vinton Co. 9-3, (5-1) @ Athens 12-1, (6-0) ..Fri. 1/29

Post by Dr. Naismith »

3sportdad wrote:While it IS true that the fouls were called in even numbers, ANYBODY watching that game and NOT seeing the carries and traveling that was NOT CALLED just plain and simply wasnt paying attention to the game. The late jump ball that was called was another miscue by the officials. I realize that not everbody is going to see everything, every time, but IMHO, the officails in this match-up WERE a deciding factor in the outcome. THIS SHOULD NEVER BE THE CASE!!! At any level of play, at any venue, PERIOD! I think the TVC and ALL leagues should have an uniterested party evaluating the officials at ALL games. Enough questionable calls by any official, and that official should have to answer to the league, and his credentials be on the line. I think this would put an end to the HOME-TOWN ref syndrom.

Heard a RUMOR that the TVC was considering going to a pool of officials that would be assigned BY THE LEAGUE, not hired by the schools. Maybe this is the answer. After EVERY game, someone accuses the officials of BAD/MISSED calls (Am I wrong??)!!!!!

I think this might have been one of the best calls all night... Yes they did miss a lot of traveling and carrying calls on both ends of the floor but the key word there was both ends of the floor. I can see how the Vinton County fans would think this call was a miscue because you didn't have a very good angle at seeing it. I can tell you this happened right in front of me and i got just as good a look if not better than the official did and he made the right call... The Athens player who made that play did have both hands on the ball... it was hands down a great play!!!

As far as the Rumor you heard, you are on the right track... The TVC has suggested having an assigner which designates which officials are at what games but when this issue was voted on there were a few schools that loudly protested this. Therefore it did not happen. The SEOAL does use an Assigner for the officials and i believe that it has made things a lot cleaner and fairer for their league. I would like to see this happen for the TVC as well as all conferences in Ohio to make things run alot smother and cut down on all the finger pointing that goes on between schools... I guess we just need someone to convence the few schools that are aginst the idea to reconsider, and as for the "uniterested party evaluating the officials at ALL games" i totally agree with this but i don't think it's going to happen because OHSAA or someone would have to spend money to get the evaluators and i doubt they will do that!!!

OneHitWonder
Riding the Bench

Post by OneHitWonder »

OK, now that I see that more than one person from Vinton Co. feels that way. I will retract what I said. Sorry about
that all of the players and coaches from Vinton Co. who I'm sure are still smarting from the loss.

If you had just "WANTED TO WIN" more than the Athens kids did. You would have been victorious. Shame on you for not wanting it bad enough.

What a crock don't disrespect your kids like that. They played HARD!!!

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

OneHitWonder wrote:What a crock don't disrespect your kids like that. They played HARD!!!

I don't think its being disrespectful, just some fans giving their opinion. Granted, they DID play HARD.....just not hard enough. Its difficult to use the arguement that they were completely overmatched when they literally dominated for most all of the game, so I do think that's where several people are coming from.

From a VC fan......Congrats to the Bulldogs and Coach Skinner. You guys busted your butts last night down the stretch and deserved to win!

To the Vikings.....last time I checked the game is 32 minutes....not 30! Learn from this defeat and next time, finish the job!

CoyDuke
Freshman Team

Post by CoyDuke »

I was in no way trying to crack on the Vinton players. I was more trying to credit the Athens players. Both teams played hard. I've watched the Vikings play 4 times this year, and this was my first chance to see Athens play. I was just impressed at the end with the Athens players.

As far as what Dr. Naismith said about Vinton County getting conservative, I thought it was more Athens finally deciding to pressure. They were the more athletic team and should have been pressing the entire night. For the last few minutes, VC could not get the ball past half court before Athens stole the ball or fouled. Athens prevented Vinton from even trying to be aggressive.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Congrats Athens on a huge win.

The internet has been down in Dundas...lol.

As for the game...First I just want to say that this probably was the best atmosphere ive ever witnessed at a high school basketball game...From the pre-game music to the game itself.. It was truly a great game to watch. VC definatly outplayed Athens for all but 3 minutes. BUT as has been stated before...the game is just a little longer than that. VC had the game in hand and that may have been their biggest problem. IMO, VC played too conservative during the last two minutes. The key play IMO was when Athens took the lead at 56-55..VC imbounded the ball and Ethan Allen ended up with it on the sideline. He had one man to beat but was forced out of bounds. Had Ethan stayed inbounds, there is no question VC wouldve been up 1 with 20 seconds remaining. The other big play was the jump ball call. To whomever stated that it happend right in front of them....You must have been setting in the Athens student section because I was right beside them and it happened right in front of us. I had a CLEAR view of the play. It was one of those that couldve gone either way. Along with a couple other calls that couldve went either way..the only problem VC fans have is that they all seemed to go Athens way...Thats what makes the game great though...the human influence. The game is never called perfect. Everyone should be used to that by now. Ive seen many questionable calls go VC way....so really the only diference was the fact that VC couldnt hit enough free throws to maintain the lead. Period. Had they done that...We wouldnt be talking about any calls. Congrats to Athens.

To all the VC fans...lets cheer on Athens to win out so we can get another shot at them in the sectional. If Athens gets the 1 seed and VC the 4 or 5 seed. VC will need to win their first round game to get another shot at Athens for the Sectional Championship.

Also, does anyone know exactly how many people were there? It had to be one of the biggest regular season crowds I have ever seen. VC fans came out and showed great support.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Way to go Athens! Good luck to both teams!

Coach Skinner
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Skinner »

Keith Chapman took some really good photos of this incredible contest. Go to this website to enjoy.
www.flickr.com/photos/keithjeweler

Mrs. Coach Skinner :)
ps- let me know if you can't get to it in case i did something wrong

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Nice pictures, except the one of the final scoreboard. But then again, I guess that would depend on your perspective.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

I cannot get over the atmosphere of this game. Maybe the best I have seen. A real credit to both teams, coaches, managers, cheerleaders, fans , and communities. There were people there I have never seen before, and they were on their feet cheering their butts off.
I even saw people there from other schools who are normal fans elsewhere in the crowd to see a good basketball game, probably the game of the year to date in the TVC.
The Bulldogs have to be on their A game and refocus as they have lots of work to do. Coach Gabriel fired the first shot in the newspaper saying how he cant wait to play Athens. I suspect the Bulldogs will be ready.

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

Yes the spartans better be ready. The Bulldogs will.

Return to “Boys Basketball”