Final: Portsmouth 73 @ Jackson 57

jgordon0315
JV Team

Re: Final: Portsmouth 73 @ Jackson 57

Post by jgordon0315 »

We are back full strength now...I'd like to see us play a lil more full court pressure. I conceaded(sp?) to the half court and zone defense earlier in the season, when we didn't have a full cupboard but now it's time to let the dogs out. Not to be overly critical however, as long as the kids are buying into it and executing what Geno wants then x's and o's don't really matter. We're headed in the right direction is the main thing. Just my honest observation.

If this team is gonna make a run at it they gotta play great D. I'm talkin in your face, man to man. Wait till I see Gene in the barbershop again. Get outta that zone. lol. Tell Fo to guard number <such and such> Tell him not to let him go anywhere without hounding him. Now that's Trojan hoops. I want the other teams to feel like there's six of em out there. Go get em.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Impressive end to the 1st half, and an even more impressive 2nd half by the Trojans.

Jackson seems to either be on fire or ice cold lately. Hope they can get things together and finish off the season strong.

If I'm remembering correctly, the Ironmen will play their last home game of the season next Tuesday against Warren, then they're on the road for the last six games of the season (Ironton, GAHS, Marietta, Unioto, Chillicothe, and Vinton County). EXTREMELY difficult string of games to end the season. I would hope to see at least three wins out of these last seven games, but judging by previous meetings this season, that may be tough to do. I think I'd take 9-11 in a heartbeat with the schedule difficulty that awaits, but I know the Ironmen will certainly be looking for 13-7, as they should be.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Tobias wrote:
jgordon0315 wrote:I'm talkin in your face, man to man.

We tried that....and received a technical foul for placing a hand in front of the ball handler's face...

:roll:

I can't tell if you're kidding or not with the rolling eyes symbol. Surely you don't get technical fouls for putting a hand in an opponents face. However, I'd rather lose from being aggressive and the refs taking it from us than being passive and not leaving it all on the court. There's more than one way to skin a cat but I like skinning a cat full court press/ man to man pressure defense. To me it's just more exciting to watch.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

As biggdowgg stated earlier, Coach Collins and his staff made the most important decision of this game........switching from zone to man to man........it COMPLETELY changed the fortunes of the Trojans.

A BIG salute to our kids for battling back from a 34-20 deficit to outscore the Ironmen 53-23 the rest of the game........Portsmouth has now won 7 of its last 10 games, with the 3 losses being by a total of 11 points.

Just like in the game at Portsmouth, Jackson came out firing the 3 ball and knocking them down.......but late in the second quarter, the tide turned after a time out and Coach Collins changed to a man defense........PHS ended the half on a 10-0 run, with a 3 pointer at the buzzer by Tory Horne.

Second half was all Portsmouth........the Trojans took pretty good care of the ball and capitalized on the fast break.......

Great to see Tre Underwood back......and he made a difference in the paint on rebounding and defense.......Dion McKinley was OUTSTANDING!!!.......he continues to get better with each game.......Tory Horne had another consistent performance with his 3rd game over 20 points in the 5 that he has played.........Wayne Evans got back in double digit scoring with some good assists as well, and Forrest Johnson played a good overall game and had several break out layups.......

And London Malone.......he hasn't gotten much pub this year but he played well last night and has been steady at the point all year.......London doesn't make very many mistakes with the ball and every now and then will bust a 3.

At one point in the game, Coach Collins had 3 sophomores on the court at the same time.......Lenny Collins, Wayne Evans, and Dion McKinley.

If Portsmouth can bottle up that second half and take that with them to the remaining 8 regular season games, they can win them all........it won't be easy, but it's doable.......there's no question that these kids are talented........talented enough to make a long run in the tourney........there are some things that need cleaned up a bit......like cutting down on turnovers.......more consistent free throw shooting........but the few things that need tweaking can be tweaked........

It was a joy watching Dion and Tre work inside........and then Dion steps out and hits a 3 pointer........this kid has unbelievable potential, and playing alongside Tre makes him better.

I just hope our kids continue to focus on getting better as the postseason is nearing.......always an important time of the year for Trojan fans.

GO TROJANS!!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I still think despite Jackson's recent losses that the Ironmen can be very pesky for anyone in the Southeastern sectional.......especially if they get the 3 ball working. And they do have a pretty good full court press.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I agree, Tobias.......that call mystified me.......I've never seen that in a game before......but I also think the intentional foul called on Jackson was not intentional either.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... how is the Dobbins kid for Jackson? was the injury serious? ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Christman was the one with the jaw injury.

Dobbins looked to have busted his elbow in the fall

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... hate to hear either one of those kids getting hurt for Jackson ... hopefully both recover fully from their injuries ...

17boards
Waterboy

Post by 17boards »

Maybe you need to ask coach Collins for a spot on staff with all your knowledge!!! jgordon0315"]We are back full strength now...I'd like to see us play a lil more full court pressure. I conceaded(sp?) to the half court and zone defense earlier in the season, when we didn't have a full cupboard but now it's time to let the dogs out. Not to be overly critical however, as long as the kids are buying into it and executing what Geno wants then x's and o's don't really matter. We're headed in the right direction is the main thing. Just my honest observation.

If this team is gonna make a run at it they gotta play great D. I'm talkin in your face, man to man. Wait till I see Gene in the barbershop again. Get outta that zone. lol. Tell Fo to guard number <such and such> Tell him not to let him go anywhere without hounding him. Now that's Trojan hoops. I want the other teams to feel like there's six of em out there. Go get em.[/quote]

17boards
Waterboy

Post by 17boards »

maybe collins could use you on staff with all your knowledge!

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

17boards wrote:maybe collins could use you on staff with all your knowledge!

I'm only speakin as a fan. It's easy on the sidelines, however as I stated before he's doing a fine job. A few more boards and you'd be pretty good yourself. But in regards to the direction the Trojans are headed I feel we're in good hands. But in my honest opinion, which doesn't amount to much, when I see the potential of this squad I just would love for it to be cultivated to the fullest extent. And that being use our atheletecism - man to man - pressure D. Sub, sub, ent! ent! Come at em in waves.

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Any updates on Christman and Dobbins?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I think Christman is fine but he wasn't allowed back in the game last night after some sort of injury to the face.

Dobbins came back in just a few minutes later after the hard foul.....but couldn't hit a shot.

I imagine they'll both be full steam ahead.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Thanks, 92.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

good luck to both of the injired players on getting back on the floor,,,,two great players no doubt.

Return to “Boys Basketball”