Warren @ Jackson 2/2/10

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Warren @ Jackson 2/2/10

Post by Ironman92 »

2 poor shots late in the contest and #21 for Warren completely stepping up cost us the game.

That kid played JV and just carried them when it mattered most.....3 big 3's very late in the game....all 3 while being down by about 3 and even a 4 point play....then made two huge steals on consecutive possessions in OT after answering Dobbins' 2 3's.

Jackson did everything but win this game.

0 for 1 on free throws

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Crazy Legs.....you can't be on the floor and do it for them. One of his best players, took one of the questionable shots late in the game. He's a senior. The kids made a mistake, it's that simple. They didn't manage time and score correctly. I'm sure Larry was as frustrated as you were. I've done a little questioning of the coach myself, but not game time management. I've questioned his commitment. Missing scheduled practices for deer hunting and not having his certificates completed is not being dedicated. But that is neither here nor there on this topic. Plain and simple, we mismanaged the end of the game on the court.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

So we have played Warren twice for a total of 68 minutes and we have only shot one free throw? Is that Noah's offense?

BTW....in that game and late Eric Landrum had 2 of the best hustle plays I have seen all year by anyone. One was on a fast break and the ball was seemingly thrown way too far in front of him (as many around me gasped when the pass was let go) and somehow he kicked it into high gear to catch it and angle in with just one dribble (from nearly the 3 point line lol) and somehow convert a reverse layup at a huge moment of the game....he had zero business completing that play...but he did. Soon thereafter a lazy pass was thrown while trying to break their press and somehow he got to that ball taking it from the 2 Warren players. Also made a big steal in OT.

Sad thing after that great conversion by Landrum we missed two other layups at full speed that would've put the game away for Jackson...just like the ones we missed to not beat Portsmouth at Portsmouth and eventually lose in double OT.

I still wonder if Colt Chapman's length on defense and ability to get to the basket on offense wouldn't help us some.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Great post I92. This team has been a joy to watch. It's just more fun when the 3 is falling. : )

Crazy Legs
Freshman Team

Post by Crazy Legs »

Out of Bounds wrote:Crazy Legs.....you can't be on the floor and do it for them. One of his best players, took one of the questionable shots late in the game. He's a senior. The kids made a mistake, it's that simple. They didn't manage time and score correctly. I'm sure Larry was as frustrated as you were. I've done a little questioning of the coach myself, but not game time management. I've questioned his commitment. Missing scheduled practices for deer hunting and not having his certificates completed is not being dedicated. But that is neither here nor there on this topic. Plain and simple, we mismanaged the end of the game on the court.

you are proving my point all of these things are coaching!!!

Colt should play more and the Miller kid shoots well, when they are not going in why not give some one else a shot for a couple of mins.?.? almost 40 3's taking in two games Larry is better than that!!!!! I feel bad for these seniors i feel like they are not getting a fair shake. :122248

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

You could still have Hurst as you coach. Or you could apply for the job. It's easy to sit in the bleachers and coach a game. Lord knows I can out coach Dean Smith from there. I'm not questioning a coach that is probably close to 600 wins about his game management and who he plays. I was questioning the facts of his off court lack of effort. The kids have learned a lot from him. Especially when you consider the coaching they were getting before he got here. Before his start, when was the last time you said it was fun to watch a Jackson basketball game? The Ford/Kight/May coaching staff had the kids playing good ball. But it wasn't always fun to watch!!

I will say I can see some of your points and I don't know if they do situational game management in practice. But I will say, just because you practice it, doesn't mean it always gets executed. They are kids you know.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The last play Jordan drew up with 1.9 seconds left had great potential. I was nowhere near the huddle or the drawing of the play....but the in bounds pass that drew 2 players opened up Newsome in the corner but he had to greatly rush his shot as he was probably 20 feet from the pass......had he been say 10 feet away he could've shot his normal shot from about 15-16 feet away for a possible win.

That darn #21 for Warren just amplified our mistakes. He played such an intelligent "I want the shot" type of game. Regardless of our mistakes....if he wan't off the charts clutch....we beat a great Warren team.....probably killing their #2 seed thought....which they deserve completely. From where I was sitting you could just see on offense he was taking eveything in so he could get the 3 point shot.....which he was definately going to make....you could just see it.

Return to “Boys Basketball”